Allianz National Football League 2022

He’s the nicest lad you’d ever meet.

I’d a great night with Dessie once in an Ethiopian bar in New York

1 Like

In the words of Bressie, a lot of Dublin Boys learning “we can’t stay young forever”.

Dessie threw a lot of lads under the bus to sell his book many years ago …all The stories coming out of camp have a real negative feel to them … cluxton and mccaffrey left because of him etc Con thinking of going to hurlers (he actually twisted his ankle in a friendly v Roscommon a few weeks ago )…

2 Likes

Ah i dunno. Cluxton is 40. McCaffrey left before and is wired differently than most inter county players.

Dessie wouldn’t pander to any ego either and try and plamas a Cluxton who for a lad who hates the spotlight invites it too. If he wanted to step away then say so like every other player does.

2 Likes

2 Likes

That’s my point … there’s an agenda against Dessie from within …

1 Like

In His book , tangled up in blue, he has a cut off a few lads for sitting sheepishly by when he took on Tom Carr in an end of season meeting …collie Moran and peadar Andrews were two I think

1 Like

It’s hard follow Gavin.

It’s why I’m on record as saying I was delighted Dessie got the one All Ireland as that was not a guarantee and nobody can take that away.

2 Likes

He told me in 2012 that the Dublin plan was tall and fast and football came after. He did a huge amount for a lot of them and in particular Sherlock.

Yeah it was great but lads in Dublin gaa circles would say it’s the softest all Ireland ever won :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I thought Dessie advocated for Carr to be kept on when the board moved to replace Carr?

one hole in that story is that Spillane’s club is not Kenmare!!

He is Templenoe

8 Likes

I suspect Cluxton and McCaffrey would not be playing even if Gavin was still manager

Dessie has managed Dublin to minor, under 21 and senior all irelands, some achievement

5 Likes

I would hazard a guess most in Templenoe wouldn’t be too upset to see Kenmare lose

Sorry , maybe it was Lyons

That story is 100% accurate. Spillanes club was never mentioned.
Just ask him about the good looking Galway lad he was sitting next to in Croker that day and he will tell you himself

This. Dessie has money in the bank. Was delighted he got the 2020. As Echo and the bunnymen sang ‘nothing ever lasts forever’
If we can eke out one a decade till the Covid generation, who handpassed and kicked a ball off a wall for 4 months thanks to Ciaran Kilkenny, come through we’ll be alright

And there’s divillment in him.

ah i dont think the rivalry is that bitter between them, they played together as the kenmare district senior team for years, it would have been unthinkable years back that both would be senior clubs

I d say so

Dessie was a fan of Tommy Carr regime