Allianz National Football League 2022

Did you lads attend the game in omoore park this evening?

You got a great pic doing the rounds on social media chief, hopefully they get a decent following in behind them next week.

Jeez, don’t remind me

1 Like

He’s in the UK I believe. Or am I missing something?

I said it last week, you can see why Derry have powered up through the divisions in recent years. Obviously the strongest 7 or 8 teams are a million miles ahead of everyone but there isn’t a whole pile between the rest. From lower Div 2 to upper Div 4 and everything in between is a fairly equal standard generally.

For a football county, Laois were limited enough. When a lad almost 40 is coming on it’s not a great sign - (and that’s not a dig at Munnelly who has had a super career).

Tiny crowd there too, maybe only a few hundred. Limerick footballers are used to playing in front of nobody but surprised that the home support was so paltry last night.

Not sure if berating his own players mid game is the best managerial tactic Sheehan should be using.

The Laois corner back went off in the first half after getting a belt in the chest, and there seemed a bit of concern around him as he had to be helped off gingerly, but hopefully he’s ok.

The sooner the football championship goes the way of hurling with graded championships the better. We’ve no business playing Kerry, a promotion from the equivalent of the Joe McDonagh/Rackard Cup would be something tangible. Hopefully the Tailteann Cup will be a success and teams will take it seriously.

The league is a great competition, potentially pitting Limerick v Kerry, Laois v Dublin, Leitrim v Mayo in the championship is doing nobody any good.

3 Likes

Studying in Tralee last I heard and left on the bench while a 39’year old started a recent challenge against Kildare

Fair enough. I was told he is either in the UK or heading there for some work related aspect of his third level course.

Just watching Tyrone v Mayo here on TG4. What’s the gig with both team’s jerseys/ Is it some kind of retro effort?

Im wondering the same.

Are all counties doing it this weekend?

This weekend Allianz are marking their 30th year of the Allianz Leagues with teams wearing retro county kits inspired by the 1993/94 season when they first became title sponsor of the competition. The jersey designs are inspired by those worn in the first year of Allianz’s sponsorship and will be worn by six counties across hurling and football this weekend. In a replay of the 2021 All Ireland Football final, the squads from Tyrone and Mayo will wear the retro kit on Saturday 19th as will the players from Galway, Clare, Wexford, and Cork in their hurling fixtures on Sunday 20th March.

The jerseys will not be available on public sale but supporters will have a unique chance to win one of the six county jerseys signed by the team in a charity raffle with all funds raised going to Allianz’s charity partner, Women’s Aid who work to combat domestic violence in Ireland.

1 Like

Notwithstanding the charity auction/raffle for the match worn jerseys, it seems fairly weird to me for teams to mark an anniversary of a competition title sponsor.

6 Likes

It’d probably be inappropriate for Clare to resurrect their old Aeroflot jerseys in the current climate.

2 Likes

I doubt Aeroflot would want to be associated with a team which have the colours Clare do.

2 Likes

Derry underdogs for the all ireland they said. They’re getting their arses absolutely handed to them by Galway at the moment anyway

How long have they been doing the around the grounds cut in thing? I was going to put my foot through the telly the first few times.

This gimmick is being advertised under the slogan “to celebrate 30 years of the Allianz Leagues”.

But Allianz have not been sponsoring the Leagues for 30 years.

The title sponsors for the National Leagues, in my memory, were/are as follows:

1984 (ish)? to 1987: Ford - the 1986/87 season football League final between Dublin and Kerry, which I attended, was marketed as the “Ford National Football League Final”.

1987 to 1993: Royal Liver (the 1987/88 season final between Dublin and Meath, the draw and replay of which I attended, was marketed as the “Royal Liver National Football League Home Final” (the winner got the prize of playing New York in New York in the “real” final).

The last “Royal Liver National Football League Final” was the 1992/93 edition between Dublin and Donegal, the draw and replay of which I attended.

1993 to 2000: Church & General - the first “Church & General National Football League Final” was the 1993/94 season edition between Meath and Armagh - which I attended - the one held on the same day Senna was killed.

The last “Church & General National Football League Final” was the 1999/2000 edition between Derry and Meath, the drawn match of which I attended, but not the replay, because it was on a Saturday evening in Clones.

The first “Allianz Leagues” were the 2000/01 season (the final season to straddle two calendar years).

So we have established that there have not been 30 years of the Allianz Leagues.

Before Allianz the title sponsor was Church & General. I’m pretty sure the entry of Allianz to the Irish market entailed the subsuming of Church & General’s business. So let’s be generous and say that the “30 years of the Allianz Leagues” includes the years in which Church & General was title sponsor.

But that still doesn’t make sense. Given that Church & General’s first season as title sponsor was 1993/94, that would make the 2022 competition the 29th consecutive season of Church & General/Allianz title sponsorship.

That would mean the only way that one could make any sort of case for “30 years of the Allianz Leagues” would be to count each calendar year in which any National League match was played under Church & General/Allianz title sponsorship as a full year - ie. 1993 to 2022.

But given that the first match played under Church & General title sponsorship was in October 1993 and we are now only in March 2022 - which is 28 years and 5 months later, this demolishes the internationally recognised format of defining what 30 years is.

This “retro jersey” gimmick is a fraud based on a lie and it does Women’s Aid - of all organisations - no good to be associated with it.

What’s next? The use of 1987 playing rules to mark 35 years of insurance industry sponsorship of the National Leagues (encompassing Royal Liver’s sponsorship) as a gimmick to support the homeless?

Where does it stop, I ask you all? Where does it all stop?

4 Likes

Bet me to it. Its a load of bollox.

Ah yes, that’s makes sense now. Wexford and Cork were probably selected to wear the commemorative jerseys today to mark the 30th anniversary of the iconic 1993 league final trilogy, which was 29 years ago this year.

I also have vague memories of being at the “home” league final versus Offaly in a sparsely attended Croke Park in 1991 (I think?). Lost by 2-6 to 0-10. Diminutive Ted Morrissey in goal let one in over his head from distance, if I recall correctly.

Wexford were selected just to rub Zurich’s face in it. Allianz knew not to mess with AIG though.

Five apiece between Clare and Meath in Ennis. Clare had the breeze which has shifted a bit across rather than straight down the field but still advantage Meath