Allianz National Football League 2022

Yes - Poacher is too good to be dialing into Shane Saint’s podcast from the staffroom on a Monday afternoon.

1 Like

He needs to answer his countys call.

His stock will go through the roof when Mayobridge end Kilcoo’s reign in Down this Autumn.

It can only go up.

Savagely misogynistic from Dunican. He’s escaped a lambasting offa Brenda and Nuala but he’s not out of the woods yet.

He needs to front up and DO BETTER

I’m stunned he’s gotten away with it so far.

Down are 1 win away from playing Division 1 hurling next year, and will start Division 3 in football next year as one of the likeliest teams to drop to Division 4 as things stand. It’s a tale of 2 managers as much as anything else. Sheehan is the modern arm around the shoulder sort who also loves having a voice on twitter, he has the whole group pulling together. Wee James is more old school, his exasperation on the sideline with what he is looking at has been the only real entertainment this league campaign. Shame to see his return go so badly wrong - it will be a relief to all involved when the year ends and he can walk away from it.

1 Like

I presume Laverty will be given a go at it next year.

Seems to be a bit of talent if they got it together. Dont Burren have a golden crop coming through?

Laverty will get it whenever he says he wants it. He has the U20s again this year and they are out against Tyrone Friday which will be interesting.

1 Like

Is Ryan o Dwyer involved with Down hurlers?

He is, and well thought of too. He was with them a small bit last year but a much bigger role this time and to be fair the results have improved hugely. They train in Belfast rather than out on the peninsula.

1 Like

Id heard that. Was with Fingallians in Dublin the last few years and seemed to do well with them.

Lads on here seem to have an awful set on Poacher for some reason but he was part of a successful Carlow set-up to be fair to him. Promotion to division 3 and championship scalps of Louth and Kildare in 2018 were huge achievements for a county who’d been in the mire for decades. It must have been the verbals and defensive football that upset fellas here. He didn’t pull up any trees with Roscommon last year but that aside what would his coaching credentials be like?

His coaching mantra seem to be:

Do not, on peril of your life, allow your opponent a shot at the posts inside the 45.
Do not, at any cost, give possession away, cheaply or not.
Do not try for a point unless inside the 13m line and no further than 1m to the side of the post.
Do not attempt a shot for a goal unless alone within the small parallelogram.
Possession is everything. If they haven’t got the fucking thing they can’t score.
Forget about long footpassing. Only the Yerras are allowed that, they’re good at it. You aren’t.
I’m allowed pitch incursions, industrial language and general bollocks-acting as suits myself.

7 Likes

Sounds like the inverse of Jose Mourinho. His mantra is you’re more likely to make a mistake if you have possession.

Davy Fitzpoacher

You’re not giving Turlough ANY credit?

He has a great presence on a sideline too

Only said he was part of a successful set up. Turlough is a fine manager. Back over Eire Og now I believe. Will be aiming to kick on in Leinster I’m sure.