Alternative Schooling Models(Crotty and Fenway)

if its the closest school would she get in?

does mac know about your plans?

iā€™d say being open minded and confident comes from the parents more than the teachersā€¦

[quote=ā€œFingalRaven, post: 785611, member: 80ā€]if its the closest school would she get in?

does mac know about your plans?[/quote]

Itā€™s just around the corner from a new house we just bought but I donā€™t think they give you any priority for location. Apparently they go on a first come, first served basis and she is on the waiting list.

I was trying to keep it from Mac as I know he despises Educate Together but I felt I had to air my views here when the opportunity arose.

Letā€™s hope she takes after her mother so.

[quote=ā€œFran, post: 785614, member: 110ā€]Itā€™s just around the corner from a new house we just bought but I donā€™t think they give you any priority for location. Apparently they go on a first come, first served basis and she is on the waiting list.

I was trying to keep it from Mac as I know he despises Educate Together but I felt I had to air my views here when the opportunity arose.[/quote]

the whole schooling thing is a bit of a nightmare for us. The Australian school year isnt the same as the Irish one so our oldest cant start here.She is accepted in the local school in Oireland to start in Sept but we probably wont be back so we fear they might give her place away if we come back in Dec rather than Sept. We might then have to wait until the next year, she will be a bit old then, i.e. she will be starting school when she is almost 6. The Montessori school would get around this as they would be more flexible & it may be a better environment anyway. however it means she would have to go to town everyday which is a bit much.

where the fuck is crotty?

why the fuck are confirmed bachelors TAN & Horsebox trolling this thread?

Just sign her up to the closest Gaelscoil TASE and be done with it

You can look at the Whole School Evaluation reports by the departmental inspectors on the department of education website. Admittedly they only have 1500 words to sum up a week of evaluating. ā€œā€¦Listening skills and not speaking all at the same timeā€¦ could be improved.ā€ (Or words fairly similar) was one observation which stood out when I was looking at the ones of schools in our area.
Went to a Deis 2 school , found it fairly handy in later years as you knew all of the hard, drug taking and dealing ruffians and they left you alone and bullied/ terrorised the ones from the posh (ET, Gaelscoil, across town) and country schools . Also the teachers were excellent and they do get more money from the department

[quote=ā€œFingalRaven, post: 785616, member: 80ā€]the whole schooling thing is a bit of a nightmare for us. The Australian school year isnt the same as the Irish one so our oldest cant start here.She is accepted in the local school in Oireland to start in Sept but we probably wont be back so we fear they might give her place away if we come back in Dec rather than Sept. We might then have to wait until the next year, she will be a bit old then, i.e. she will be starting school when she is almost 6. The Montessori school would get around this as they would be more flexible & it may be a better environment anyway. however it means she would have to go to town everyday which is a bit much.

where the fuck is crotty?[/quote]

Raymond is fully focused on the British Lions these days.

Would there be any merit in just leaving it until she is nearly 6? It may cause you problems with childcare costs etc. but she will rule the roost over all her fellow students when she does start

[quote=ā€œFran, post: 785614, member: 110ā€]Itā€™s just around the corner from a new house we just bought but I donā€™t think they give you any priority for location. Apparently they go on a first come, first served basis and she is on the waiting list.

I was trying to keep it from Mac as I know he despises Educate Together but I felt I had to air my views here when the opportunity arose.[/quote]

Iā€™ll always respect your decisions Fran once I know youā€™ve thought them through. We may disagree on them but I think weā€™re both mature enough to not let them get in the way of our e-friendship, you cunt.

[quote=ā€œFran, post: 785620, member: 110ā€]Raymond is fully focused on the British Lions these days.

Would there be any merit in just leaving it until she is nearly 6? It may cause you problems with childcare costs etc. but she will rule the roost over all her fellow students when she does start[/quote]

dont think it would be the end of the world, better too old than too young at that age

Would you not just forget this schooling crack & send them off to the mines straight away?

Diplomatic as ever :clap:

whats your problem?

mining is dying in oz btw

No problem mate, just trying to help is all.

Im not your mate

Not after that response your not.

[quote=ā€œFingalRaven, post: 785616, member: 80ā€]the whole schooling thing is a bit of a nightmare for us. The Australian school year isnt the same as the Irish one so our oldest cant start here.She is accepted in the local school in Oireland to start in Sept but we probably wont be back so we fear they might give her place away if we come back in Dec rather than Sept. We might then have to wait until the next year, she will be a bit old then, i.e. she will be starting school when she is almost 6. The Montessori school would get around this as they would be more flexible & it may be a better environment anyway. however it means she would have to go to town everyday which is a bit much.

where the fuck is crotty?[/quote]
If the school is under subscribed and needs enrolment numbers to hold onto a teacher or classroom assistant then I think youā€™d be able to come to some arrangement, if there is a waiting list then they may be under pressure to give the place to the next child on the list.

With regard to Steiner schools, I donā€™t think there is a sanctioned one in Dublin. There are ones in Clare, Kildare, Galway (I think) and there was one as part of the Camphill community in Kilkenny , communing with and appreciation of nature is an important element
so unless you were contemplating sending the little one to board down the country itā€™s probably not an option.

No such thing as classroom assistants in the 26 counties. Special Needs Assistants and they arenā€™t allocated based on numbers so that would have no bearing.

Educate Together would certainly be the patronage of choice for me. Proportionally there are more ET schools with DEIS status than Catholic Schools so donā€™t know why you classify them all as posh midship.
ET based upon 4 principlesā€¦

1. Co educational
  2. Multi Denominational
  3. Democratically Run
  4. Child Centred

Classroom discipline is more effective if rules etc are agreed collaboratively imo. Largely myth that discipline is poor.

Sorry, obviously not all are posh, a friend sends his little lad to the one near us as his wife is Romanian and figured it was the best choice for their circumstances, says he canā€™t relate to the other parents at all, they are absolutely out of his league and experience, heā€™s still ok about the choice though as now he reckons a bit of social climbing wonā€™t hurt in the long run either!

I forgot also that this years enrolment figures determine teacher numbers for next year and next years for the following but an under subscribed school will generally welcome more numbers