Annoying Office Jargon - Part III

It’s all part of the game lads. If they locked our team I’m a room for 3 days and we put our heads down we’d produce a better outcome than these 4 week ‘sprints’ we currently work through.

That would leave me 27 other days to farm and relax but no… He game must go on.

1 Like

That’s what I thought. Tends to get in the way of getting to the same answer quickly in my experience

@ironmoth, I mentioned the “speaking to” phenomenon a while back too. Amidst all the bullshit terms, this one has annoyed me something else since it spread like wildfire. I might lose the head some day. “Why are you speaking to the document, gimp? How about speaking to us about the document? You fucking dickhead.” I might not.

1 Like

I called her up on it straight away. “I’ll speak to the A3 sheet in a moment, but let’s go around the table and do introductions first”.

“I’m Iron Moth, and I’m really looking forward to seeing Karen speaking to an A3 sheet”.

It got a chuckle, but Karen fucking knew I nailed her for spouting total wank. She’s normally a very sensible and well-spoken person, and this sort of shit is uncalled for. Is there anything to be said for embarrassing people into making sense?

2 Likes

You will get no thanks for it unless it is someone senior to you

Otherwise it’s just bullying

1 Like

Why are you so regressive about language? This is a pretty straightforward evolution of language and well understood by all. Not sure why the participants on this thread want to freeze language in time.

1 Like

Fuck off with yourself.

5 Likes

It’s from people watching the good wife or suits.

It’s, as your no doubt aware, legalese do obviously a load of wank.

1 Like

With the utmost of respect, @Fagan_ODowd, but +1

Or

F R O

What’s a “four week sprint”?

You’re going down a rabbithole there @gilgamboa, bring it back in brah!

1 Like

Software analogy.

Define requirements week 1
Develop the code in week 2 & 3
Test in week 4
Deliver to customer once testing complete

Game changer just used on the six one when referring to milk quotas. It has jumped the shark

1 Like

I was in a meeting today which was being led by an accountant from a Big 4 firm. After briefly introducing a couple of her colleagues who were also in attendance she said, “As a starter for 10 points, I’ll provide a brief overview of the proposal.” She used “as a starter for 10” at another stage later on in the meeting. Absolutely ridiculous stuff.

2 Likes

What does that actually men?

I think she was asking what the 9 other lads in the meeting would like for their lunch.

It means…

" I’m a cunt who watches university fuckin challenge, tee hee I’m so fuckin whimsical using a Paxman sound byte to start things off"

2 Likes

See @count_of_monte_crist 's reply. A whimsical (nice word) reference to a quiz show or to something that might be said at the start of a particular quiz to get the meeting started. It was delivered in a dead pan, matter of fact manner. I doubt it was because that’s her humour - I’d say it’s more that she’s picked up on it and used it so often, it’s become second nature to use it. Complete bullshit, jargon.

2 Likes

Has it always been this bad? I don’t remember this amount of jargon when I started working. My first boss used to regularly come out with muddled-up phrases like “smokes and daggers”, but it was more twee than annoying. Definitely no “talking to the presentation” or “top down and bottom up” or starting emails with “Hi both”. Total wankery.