Another casualty of the recession

Tolteca was probably the best leftover from the burrito explosion, miles better than boojum. Dublin goes through ridiculous phases with food. Someone will come in with a decent idea, and within 5mins 12 copycat joints will have sprung up.

2 Likes

Boojum is nonsense alright

1 Like

The plethora of do(ugh)nut shops must be next to go.

3 Likes

The Dublin hipster burrito market is proper dog-eat-dog stuff

1 Like

Yep. Where I am, itā€™s falafel and sushi joints. Saturated. I canā€™t even look at the stuff anymore. Thereā€™s one thing that came to Ireland in recent years, stayed and grew and Iā€™d be fairly sure isnā€™t going anywhere and thatā€™s a really good standard of coffee, and the baristas making them. Not Australia standard by any means, but itā€™s moving in a great direction. Not that long ago, we subsisted on Nescafe or Maxwell house. Scandinavian coffee, as well as ethnic food offerings is incredibly poor in comparison to Ireland. Definitely a drawback.

2 Likes

I fucking love sushi and falafel. L

2 Likes

Surprised to read that.I remember reading the Scandinavians have neary the highest consumption of coffee in the world.
I presume theyā€™re plenty of Starbucks etc over there?

That stat isnā€™t inaccurate. The Swedes drink a lot of coffee, but the Finns live on the stuff. The type of roast is called Nordic Blend, and itā€™s like diesel. They drink it black, and sugarless. More than one cup in succession to the untrained gut will trip a volcanic-like warming just above the pubic hair area, followed by a ā€˜late for the school busā€™ intensity sprint and the inevitable pebble dashing of the nearest toilet bowl. An Irish mate in his warning upon my arrival didnā€™t nickname it diarrhea juice without good reason. Starbucks exists here, but isnā€™t popular or in great number. A scandi coffee chain called Espresso House fills the gap in the market and Iā€™ve never found a barista in one yet who knows their way around their milk based espresso drink menu.

6 Likes

Bubble tea is a big thing lately. I donā€™t even know what it is but it looks rotten

1 Like

Could be an opening for someone that knows what theyre doing.

Sure what other way would you drink it?

2 Likes

The ā€œAmericanoā€ style of coffee sold in Ireland as a long coffee drink is an abomination and generally awful.

An espresso or a macchiato is the only way to go and if you want a long coffee drip or filter is a much nicer product.

2 Likes

In your opinion.

Or as they call them in Limerick, an Expresso and a Kappacheeno

Boba - Itā€™s made with tapioca pearls and tea and the flavour combinations are endless.
Massively popular currently with pre teens, tweens and early teens.

Itā€™s a big thing in Malaysia, thatā€™s where I saw it first. I think itā€™s vile

:flushed::flushed::flushed:

3 Likes

McDonaldā€™s cappuccino once straight from the machine is as good as any coffee other than a very occasional artisanal one.

2 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m not even sure if thereā€™s a market for it. The Swedes are very difficult to shift from the old traditions and tastes. Bringing an upgrade ashore is like insinuating that what they offer isnā€™t good enough. If you criticise their culinary offerings on Reddit, youā€™ll get a massive army of them defending it etc. Regards food and drink, it is like Ireland at the beginning of the celtic tiger or thereabouts.

1 Like

The founder of Tolteca set up a rival one Tula a while ago.

Iā€™d say Tolteca went downhill, just like Boojum.

Theyā€™re both shit in comparison to what you get in Texas. El Grito is the best Mexican in Dublin.