Anthony 'Dalo' Daly

There are too many of them. Wasn’t Hoggy doing some on line coaching thing as well?

‘Pro Hurling’ - Focused at kids logging into to view online snippet lessons from male/female Intercounty hurlers and paying a fair chunk of money to do so (even though lessons are generic and not unique )

Not to use Business terminology - but clearly there hasn’t been a bit of Market Research done by any of them lads doing the workshops. All the same thing every time

1 Like

Those full time GAA podcasters. Can you imagine they can still be at it in 10 years? Doubtful

A mid tier Dublin senior side would pay in and around 8 to 12k for the year

I’d imagine there will double or triple the amount of them in ten years time.

1 Like

surely a saturated market already

It is but as papers, radio and traditional TV continue to die a death, they’ll all migrate to podcasts which is still very young in its career.

If it’s your own club there’s no money and it’s a pure penance doing it, with all the travelling and the cunts you have to manage.

2 Likes

Charlie Carter wants his head examined. Maybe lucan sarsfields too.

A brother of Jackie Tyrell also after taking over a Dublin club as well. These lads must have no other hobbies

1 Like

It’s more of an extra occupation than a hobby.

€€€€€

20 hours a week for 9 or 10 months. If they put half that effort and time into the day job they would make multiples of what they would coaching over a few years

4 Likes

Depends on your occupation and your interest in it.

For most lads coaching teams they enjoy it and have ambitions in going far in it.

I’m not doubting you as I’ve no idea but how would 20 hours break down over the course of a week?

It isn’t hard to see how those hours would rack up even from the comfort of my armchair. Here’s a starter - training 2 nights a week and a game at the weekend. There may even be time consumed with travel. 20 hours a week would be skimping along with an ambitious junior club - it rises exponentially.

You would be talking minimum either 3 training session or 2 sessions and a match per week. Probably more at different times of the season.

Each session would probably take around three hours in real terms in terms of planning and organising, travel to and fro and taking the session itself. Match day itself would be a bit more.

Add in at least an hour a day on average in terms of admin, communicating with back room and club committee, man management etc. Then add in analysis, medical stuff etc.

Some of this stuff can be delegated away but most outside men want to put their own print on things and would be slow to delegate.

6 Likes

Maybe they enjoy some balance in their life and the challenge of it.

I get that to a certain extent but lads travelling from Kilkenny to Dublin, Clare to Cork etc to train/manage a team doesn’t sit well with me and isn’t driven by a love of hurling and the need for an outlet or balance in their life. Why not get involved with their own clubs underage if they have a love of coaching or county development squads if they want to be in a high performance set up.

Whatever about a taking over a side within a 50 mile radius but lads travelling two or three times that a night to a club they have had no connection with up to a few weeks or months previous seems a bit bizarre

6 Likes

I agree with all that.

I thought you were referring to anyone managing a team.