Anthony 'Dalo' Daly

Mercenaries they’re called. All valid points there. :white_check_mark:

Cash?
It’s a funny oul thing the GAA. Screams amateur at every opportunity but it’s a profession for many, with most every club paying people for doing stuff.
The rubby clubs outside socodu never pay anyone afaik. All voluntary.

Article in the Irish Times y’day with Parkinson. Going by it he’s billing in €15-20k a month from his podcast. The Second Captains guys were pulling in north of half a million a year.

Deary me

2 Likes

Half a million on subscriptions?
It’s not a lot, is it? There’s six or so staff plus contributors to pay. Throw rent, light, heat etc on.

They’ve other revenue streams as well, don’t they?

The bit about the rubby clubs.

They never not pay anyone I’d say more like.

They must make money off their roadshows too, I think I read they made €550,000 profit one year recently. There is 5 main shareholders getting over 100k each. Not bad mula.

It’s an ego thing

1 Like

I often think some of these lads must hate the wife and kids

6 Likes

No expenses then ?

Wegians never did when I was there. Even WG had to do the door in kno knos

A lot has changed in those 30 odd years

1 Like

Some do some don’t. Same as gaa clubs, really hard to get someone to commit the time

A pretty badly paying one if they are depending on 8-12 thousand euro to support themselves

Well I estimated half a million. I think they were paying themselves (the 5 main guys) over a hundred grand a year each so maybe I lowballed it.

I would have thought that shows that for certain podcasts there’s a decent living in it anyway.

Coaches get paid alright even at junior level. Players do not* regulation 6 and all that. There are some creative methods around this ive seen

1 Like

Or hated by

I’d say about half the coaches in our division get paid. Rest are with home club. In fairness no lunatic will invest 10 or 12 hours a week into someome else’s club for nowt.

Only players Iv ever come across getting looked after are foreigners

10k a year for 3 nights training, and a match day so 4 days of your week is absolutely fuck all money. Even if its 4 x 4 hours incl travel, it’s the opportunity cost, it dominates your life outside of the day job. Don’t know how anyone would be purely in it for the money with those type arrangements

2 Likes

Shur’ you’d want to be mad to put in that time for nothing.

GAA zealots like Micko and Cody had no other interests outside the sport and were happy to give their time voluntarily……Yerra……