Anthony 'Dalo' Daly

Anto always came across as a hail fellow,well met kind of character,to me.
I’ve met people like that over the years and they’re nearly always the most ruthless bastards you could ever meet.
Just an observation and by no means a definitive statement😁

1 Like

C’mere Herro…

6 Likes

Bloody hell, dalo has all the limerick lads rattled to within an inch of their lives. Is it because of all the wages he collected off pj ?

2 Likes

It really does drive them demented. Twas just an oul nixer like.

4 Likes

Heaven forbid someone would try to give him a bit of credit for his work there

2 Likes

He went on the radio instead of self-flagellating after a loss. Heinous sin.

1 Like

Youd always get a good welcome, a fine pint and plenty slagging inside in Murtys. Daly is as sound as a man gets

1 Like

Have you been in, it’s very close to my home place. It was a house you would always get great welcome in.

Ya. He was there himself. Some man to tell a yarn. Full of divilment.

1 Like

Daly is sound so he is.

1 Like

Only for Daly that All Ireland wouldn’t have happened. JP would admit that himself.

1 Like

80k wasn’t it felt got off limerick. Must be some businessman.

The Clare lads with a permanent chip on their shoulder trying to make out we have a problem with Dalo. Sure everyone loves Dalo.

1 Like

A national treasure

2 Likes

Was chatting with the auld lad yesterday.

He was at Gaelic Grounds when Clare bate Cork in 93. He said Daly was full back that day and gave an absolute tour de France. Micheal O Muircheartaigh was chatting with the auld fella afterwards and said it was the best full back display he had seen.

It was an aside to a point my father was making about the two best all round sportspeople he’d seen were from Cork. He said one was Brian Corcoran, and was talking about how he gave Corcoran a pen (he was working at the match) to sign heaps of autographs after the match, despite the fact that he had been dumped out of the championship.

The other was his old friend Brian Murphy, who has won pretty much everything you could win in Gaelic Games (County SH title and National Football League title the only gaps - all stars in both codes, minor, u21, senior in both codes, all Irelands with Nemo, and even a few soccer medals). A thoroughly decent sort according to the auld fella, who’d have three or four pints with him the night before a league game as it helped him get a good night’s sleep before a match.

Anyway, not such a cool story bro etc etc

17 Likes

I love reading stuff like that.

1 Like

Dalo won an all star in 93 off the back of that display. In the corner though

3 Likes

That’s what makes al the hurling podcasts so good.

Hear all these sly funny stories that you’d never hear them say on RTE.

1 Like

Was it not 94 he won the all star?

How would people rate Daly as a hurler in general? I know he was a great leader on that Clare team but he’d be a good below likes of Lohan and seanie mcmahon I’d say would he. Would he make a munster team of the 90s for instance?