Anthony 'Dalo' Daly

Heā€™s a very sound man. My wife is good pals with his daughter. As unassuming a fella as you could meet.

1 Like

I think most would see him below the other two of his colleagues in the half backline who would utterly dominant their men and matches when on their games. Daly was a stylish but loose hurler who would hurl plenty of ball but his man was also likely to get on ball too and get a few scores. He wasnā€™t overly quick or athletic but it never really seemed hamper him.

A fine leader and a fine hurler but Iā€™d probably have 7 or 8 lads ahead of him in terms of dominance/performances in that Clare team
under Gerlock - Lohan, McMahon, Jamesie, Doyle, Baker, Lynch, Davy then Daly and Frank Lohan just below that half dozen. He was a fantastic leader though and a great character

3 Likes

My dad and him worked together. Were buddies back in the day. My father is full of praise for him.

Told me a good story about him coming to Limerick briefly to work as a young enough lad, but with already plenty accomplished. Some local Garda, a Garryowen rugby man asked him did he play any sport. ā€˜a bit of football and hurlingā€™, says Brian. Your man tried to recruit him for the rugby, not having a fucking clue who he was :joy:

3 Likes

My would-be father in law is friendly with him as well, they must have trained together. I get the impression Murphy was essentially playing GAA for a living for the first 15 or so years in the job

2 Likes

As you say I would think Daloā€™s contribution could not be measured in hurling terms alone

You should look up stuff by Mark Twain. He created an adventurous lad (not unlike Daly) called Huckleberry Finn (not to be confused with Sean Finn). Huck took himself off on a few excursions, nearly drowning in a big river and the likeā€¦Youā€™ll love it, so you willā€¦

3 Likes

Did he have tin pints heh heh heh?

Absolutely. Iā€™d say in when we get to 50 or 75 year from now when people are looking back at the history of the GAA and the all time greats I think the only two players from that team who will come into the conversation it will be Brian Lohan and Sean McMahon who will be remembered as all time greats while the other half dozen mentioned above were a level or two below that.

Daly will be remembered as one of the all time great captain/leader and his speeches will still be recalled while himself and Davy remembered as legendary gaa characters.

His podcasts are a great oul listen to be fair really enjoyed the Ken McGrath one. Dalo is a great man for the stories would be some craic Iā€™d say on a night out.

If you dont enjoy Daly, you dont enjoy life.

There are fellas who moan about Kk hurlers being boring as fuck and then when Daly talks beer and dogs they moan too

11 Likes

Typical of the pissers and moaners on here. Daly is an out and out good guy who lives hurling, and has charisma to boot.

5 Likes

I like him in the main .

Donā€™t see how anyone could dislike him.

I like Daly anyway. Any man who cleaned out the limerick county board is allright by me.

2 Likes

Hā€™on Dalo :ronnyroar:

2 Likes

10 paragraphs before a pub even mentioned.

Dalo! Dalo! Dalo!

1 Like

Thatā€™s a great article Iā€™m looking forward to next week already

Drew with offaly, drank a heap of pints, won replay but match blown up too early, drank a heap of pints, lost the 3rd game, drank a heap of pints. Thatā€™s next weekā€™s article in a nutshell for you.

3 Likes

You forgot the replay with Waterford ffs. Glad youā€™re not ghost writing it