Apple

Jobs and stuff

I’m only sad Steve not here to share this victory with Leo.

Will there be a ceremony with Leo handing over a big novelty cheque?

A great day for the country. They should make the 15th of July a national holiday from here on out.

Apple Pay.

Lads I wouldn’t be celebrating just yet: van der leyen is gunning for multinational tax takes and won’t make stupid mistakes like drunker

Given the size of this presumably the Commission will appeal. They’ll want a definitive ruling.

Things are changing alright but this was the Commission exceeding their competence using State Aid rules. They have been slapped down before in a similar way with Seat case.

@artfoley

Are we talking at least 2 years to ECJ ??

Hard to know in the current climate, especially with covid restrictions. Van der leyen might let this go so she can pursue the multinationals in other formats

I would’ve said a definite yes if it was the junker commission. Not too sure with vestager and van der leyen.

They may start using the new investment screening as a new vehicle to go after this

They have fuck all grounds

That was the case in the first place I suppose.

And don’t you forget it

https://youtu.be/XTnwwb3r87A

Not really, they narrowed their argument so much in submissions that they don’t really have any standout points of law to appeal on

1 Like

Congrats buddy. Great to know you actually smile from time to time.

How do you plan on paying it back?

1 Like

Fergy babez heavily involved in the tax planning/lobbying for the FAANGs. He’ll open something cold and fizzy tonight.

Only thing is they’re not playing with their own money so they may well appeal. I’ve seen plenty of it in business. Lads get very legally bolshy when they’ll never have to foot the bill no matter what.
I’m not sure this ruling will really have a huge long-term effect. The EU will go for Ireland’s perceived (and probably true) status as a tax shelter for MNC’S in another way.
They’ve swatted away the wasp for now, but enraged it a bit I’d imagine.
Diplomacy is what’s needed here, and careful diplomacy at that.