Athletics Thread

Ah she has. Becker finished college and is working now so I don’t know if that impacts things. Mawdsley doesn’t have any job from what I can see following in the footsteps of the Limerick GAA lads.

She’s a clear 2nd behind Rhasidat now. They’ll have a right chance at a medal in the Euros in Rome if Rhasidat runs with them and they get Phil Healy back to form. There’s a bit of a drop in class between Becker, Mawdsley and Healy down to the likes of Harrison and McRory.

She signed with Puma there recently. Would she get much for that or is it just a few quid and some expenses? She got one of those Sport Ireland grants there during the week but wasn’t in the 40k bracket.

You wouldn’t be retiring on it but they’d probably cover a lot of travel and accommodation for the tour events which would be a huge expense

She turned pro alright.

@fenwaypark our buddy ran Seville in 2:23 earlier. I think that’s worthy of mention in this thread rather than the Fun Running one and he should remain in this thread moving forward :joy:

1 Like

Is it a fast course? A few lads I know up here did it. One fella did 3:25ish, a good 25 minutes quicker than DCM. The other fella was injured for six weeks, managed to do a couple of short runs last week and gave it a rattle and came in at 3:49. Doesn’t look like there’s any elevation there anyway.

Pancake Flat

1 Like

Femke Bol set a new indoor world 400m record today. 49.24 with Lieke Klaver less than a second behind her in second. The guts of 3 seconds faster than Sharlene ran in Dublin. More remarkable because she’s a 400m hurdler. I’d say if she ran 400m outdoors she could get close to winning it. A once in a generation type of athlete. She only turns 24 next week

2 Likes

46m elevation over the course. Dublin is 200+ I think. As a Mountain Runner you wouldn’t be used to elevation numbers that low!

1 Like

Although when someone is regularly thrashing East German and USSR times from the 80s you can’t be but a bit suspicious

1 Like

Klaver’s time makes the whole thing look even more dodgy

Klaver ran relatively close to her normal time. She didn’t break 50. I think Rhasidat has broken 50 more times than Klaver off way less runs

The lovely Sharlene running a SB indoors last night to finish second, she’s purring early on

https://twitter.com/irishathletics/status/1761321679978918286?s=46&t=YOfhVM10W0bcyIiYSLI3Wg

That interviewer should be taken out and shot

That end was sheer cringe.

If her face didn’t have so much pumped into it I’d say she’d have looked proper disgusted

Behave you

Free link below if you don’t have a sub. Interesting background on Healys mentality which I want to believe

https://archive.ph/5vV0a

World Indoors getting underway tomorrow in Glasgow. Taking place in the Emirates Arena in the shadow of Celtic Park…a very picturesque & fancy part of the world. :grimacing:

Sharlene Mawdsley (400 M) & Israel Olatunde (60 M) are up first for Ireland in the morning session. This is being televised all weekend on Virgin Media. Mawdsley’s heat is at 10.36am & Olatunde’s up at 1.14pm. They’ll be out again in the evening if they qualify. Sarah Healy (1500 M) is racing in that evening session.

3 Likes

Sarah Lavin probably our only realistic chance of an individual medal I’d say and that would be a big reach for her. Interested to see how the women’s 4x400m get on given not all countries will have a full strength squad there. Great to have it on TV