Athletics Thread

Virgin Media 2 seem to be taking a centralised World Athletics commentary feed or whatever. Think yer man Will Dalton is floating around as a reporter but there doesn’t appear to be a studio set up with pundits. BBC have the full team out.

First of the women 400 M going shortly. Mawdsley in heat 3 (I think) at 10.36.

Mawdsley given 3rd with 2nd, 3rd & 4th practically finishing in a line. She didn’t really dip, which was strange. Top 2 qualify with 4 fastest losers over the 4 heats. She’s currently 3rd fastest loser ahead of the final heat.

52.23 for Mawdsley & she should qualify for tonight’s semis as a fastest loser - still tbc. She’s at full throttle compared to others who are crushing through & saving something for later rounds. Still top 12 in the world (albeit with some folk like Adeleke skipping the indoors) & can give it a rattle later.

It shows how far we’ve come as a forum that the “give it a rattle” and Sharlene was let go by all who saw it.

Well done guys, I’m proud of you all.

1 Like

Henrik Larsson starring in Glasgow again

Olatunde up now

Just run out of third so may rely on a fast runners up spot

6.70 season best puts him into 3rd fastest loser with 3 heats left to go. He’ll do well to hold onto it I’d say but an encouraging run all the same

Great maturity guys although sharlene is lovely.
Although my personal favourite is the lovelier Sophie becker. Go Sophie!

Ah that’s brutal. Healy looked to have it won. Can’t see her getting through on appeal. She was done anyway.
You’d miss Jerry Kiernan to analyse that.

I think she had tied up completely & seemed to be looking at those catching her on the big screen. Harsh maybe but might be another case of her freezing on the big stage. She even spoke about it in that piece with Cathal Dennehy last weekend that was posted above.

Agreed. Looks like she froze a bit alright. Defo should have qualified comfortably.
Here’s drug cheat Coleman.

What happened lads? Healy leading close to home and lost it?

What time is Tipperary’s finest running at?

Eight fifty (8.50).

1 Like

Shown at end of her interview here. She blames herself, which is correct I think. Some talk on commentary of her being pushed or clipped but she kinda buckled & fell before the line as the others were overtaking her.

https://twitter.com/vmsportie/status/1763652148733051242?s=46&t=0sQkcb7z4szDmx1-2Xlm0w

Yeah, thats not good. Thankfully only indoors, you’d feel for her if that happened at a major outdoors.

Won’t exactly help her already fragile mentality

Looks like she got the pacing wrong & had a massive lactic acid build up in the last 100m. Happened @Tassotti once in Ennis parkrun back in 2019.

11 Likes

Lieke Klaver :heart_eyes: :grimacing: