Athletics Thread

‘She has strength, she has elegance, she has a lot going for her’

Iconic

6 Likes

Special mention for Greg Allen. After 10 years of apologising for various Rory McIllroy pot shittings he called it beautifully.

22 Likes

He did it was absolutely top class

I’d say Greg was getting a slating here a few weeks back and his RTE salary and existence being questioned because he was in the states at the golf…some turnaround for the sligo man

2 Likes

There was a real earthiness to it.

He’s finally getting some recognition as a broadcaster tonight.

1 Like

His golf shoneenness won’t ever be forgotten

Big Bad Barrsy

Even if your Sharlene and in the top tier of your sport…once you leave the cozy confines of Irish underage running and being a big fish in a small pond…you could go the rest of your career being successful without ever passing the finish line in first…what a buzz

1 Like

Having watched the rerun of the final lap for about the 5th time I’ve realised there’s a lovely agricultural grunt from Matthews as Sharlene passes the Belgian lass as he tries to contain his excitement. And then as she crosses the line and Allen is lost for words Matthews tries to speak and just makes random noises which sounds like pure gibberish :joy:

2 Likes

Pity Jerry Kiernan isn’t around tonight

10 Likes

The morning after…

Chris O’Donnell goes in the 400m heats at 10.45am. Fair play to him if he can put on a performance after last night

When is the ladies 1500m final?

Sunday night. Same evening as 400m semi finals

1 Like

https://twitter.com/danpeachey/status/1799202211899084870?s=46&t=K27wQ5SlUD1o1nD3wyFPgA

Greg Allen’s commentary for that is already iconic.

2 Likes

It’s up there with Jimmy Magee from LA 84 and John Treacy for me as he knew she had a real chance of gold from 200m out and found the words

‘THIS IS WONDERFUL FROM SHARLENE MAWDSLEY!’

Watched this about 5 times now, it’s wonderful

https://twitter.com/GavanCasey/status/1799204294438064289?t=mgogXaGODQ43stFsPWBUlQ&s=19

Some great scenes here

5 Likes

Delighted for Thomas Barr. Always carried himself with dignity. There won’t be a cow milked in Dunmore East for a week.

16 Likes

Caravaggio’s “The taking of Gold”

4 Likes