Athletics Thread

Saw that earlier & thought it was great. Anyone know the song/singer of accompanying music?

I’m just back from a 6.30am 19/20km run. That’s the power of nights like last night, inspiring youngsters like me. :ireland::1st_place_medal::shamrock:

8 Likes

Seems like an awful sound skin.

In Munich in 2022 they talked about how seeing Mageean and English medal lifted the performance of others. After seeing last night you’d hope the likes of Olatunde and Lavin will be bouncing around the place for their semi finals believing anything is possible

It’s the Sea the Stars of the athletics world. That line will go down in Irish history.

4 Likes

I only saw that race this morning,

Magnificent.

The two ladies brought that home.

1 Like

Morning session on now

In many ways the 4x400m relay is the most dramatic of all track events. It’s a team event in what is typically the most individual of all sports. There’s nowhere to hide on a track and the only performance review is the stopwatch. There’s no man of the match award or xG. The clock is all that counts.

The extended stagger means the placing only unfolds a lap and a half in, there is an ebb and flow to it as there are mixed ability and strengths and what look like big leads can evaporate. Equally a strong runner can rein in the impossible.

Chasing and being chased is a mental battle.

400m is a killer distance and if you misjudge it you will just fall apart in last 100m as your heart and lungs explode and you start to see stars.

4 chapters to make a story and last night those 4 athletes wrote a place forever in Irish sporting history.

14 Likes

Might be recency bias but that’s one of the best sporting moments I’ve ever watched. Unbelievable. And Greg Allen’s commentary in an all timer.

The handover to Barr wasn’t the best but an unbelievable performance… Delighted for Barr especially, he’s put his heart and soul into it for over a decade now

1 Like

Is the medal ceremony due around now?

Missed the race last night as I was finishing my 16 hour shift as presiding officer in the Newport electoral area, 2 swift pints before I went home for a well deserved kip. Reading this thread before I went asleep was an absolute tonic for the body and soul, Up our Crowd! The best of TFK

14 Likes

Think the afternoon, 4.15pm is in my mind but @Mac will confirm.

1 Like

Yeah around 4.30 I think

Chris O’Donnell 4th in 45.59. 14 fastest qualify so 2 more heats to go

1 Like

A ginger lad called Adam Kelly throwing the hammer for Estonia.

Fucking Eastern Europeans, stealing our jobs and our hammer throwers

Great finish from him

1 Like

O’Donnell IN to semi final. Some going to turn that out after last night

5 Likes

Had you pints in Newport last night? Presume Martin is still at the polling station there.

No, Newport area but Portroe polling station, pints in Nenagh after I dropped off the votes

1 Like