Athletics Thread

Commentators eye

I think the German lad who beat the English young lad in the 200m broke a record that was nearly 30 years old as well.
That run was suspicious of a man full of blood beans.

The Belgian lad in the 400m?

Close enough

Ah lovely, she looked it too

Much like Barr this might tilt her more in that direction

Some of the poles and spainiards are stunning too.

1 Like

In Barrs post race interview with Wexford man Rory Cassidy earlier he said the relay was his main focus for these championships which I found a bit bizarre.

1 Like

Irena Szewińska. Two time Olympic champion

1 Like

Dunno, he’s won a gold medal :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Molly Caudrey in the pole vault for GB is smashing

1 Like

Rhasidats medal ceremony on the RTE player now for anyone interested

She seems nice in person too.

Only athlete to ever hold 100m, 200m and 400m world records.

1 Like

Athletics Ireland just confirmed that relay teams won’t be confirmed till the morning.

The ladies 4x400 appear to have the easier heat. The Dutch and the Poles are in heat 1 along with the Czechs who are handy and we’re in heat 2 with the Swiss, French and some others. Even if Rhasidat doesn’t run we’d probably be expecting to finish in the top 3 to qualify for the final. Sharlene all but confirmed with David Gillick she was running.

The mens 4x100 and 4x400 will be right up against it. I’m not sure that Barr will run it but I think O’Donnell will. Jack Raftery wouldn’t be far off O’Donnell but I’m not sure who else they’ll be bringing in for the other 2 legs.

Great to see us with a near full set of relay teams competing anyway so it’ll be an entertaining morning either way

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/lillztil/status/1800272201096270049?s=46&t=K27wQ5SlUD1o1nD3wyFPgA

2 Likes

She was head of the Polish olympic committee. Passed away a few years ago.

The men’s 4x400m team are first up. Jack Raftery, Chris O’Donnell, Sean Doggett and Callum Baird go in that order for Ireland. Doggett, 17, is making his senior international debut.

Later in the morning, the 4x100m team of Bori Akinola, Mark Smyth, Colin Doyle and Israel Olatunde will attempt to get through their heat.

The women’s 4x400m team, which races at 10.15am, will be confirmed later this morning.

What are the times this morning?

:alarm_clock:9.45am: Men’s 4x400m Relay H1
:alarm_clock:10.27am: Women’s 4x400m Relay H2
:alarm_clock:11.00am: Men’s 4x100m Relay H1

:alarm_clock:8.30pm: Anika Thompson – 10,000m – Final
:alarm_clock:8.30pm: Laura Mooney – 10,000m – Final

1 Like