Athletics Thread

They were well split up after 2000 metres.

Targeted these championships on home soil. Some of them would have been expected but a fairly noticeable unexpected improvement from others alright. Some would say the Italians are championship performers. Thankfully they definitely don’t have a history of using dodgy substances or doing illegal stuff behind the scenes…

2 Likes

RTE have done a decent job of giving it exposure aside from some inexplicable decisions of showing Portugal embarrassing around last night which meant missing the best triple jump final in living memory and one of the most entertaining high jump finals. And Fridays absolutely inexcusable tin pot rugby game being shown ahead of the mixed relay gold medal for Ireland and a championship record being set.

Outside of the the RTE effort has been good. Paul O’Flynn does a good job of keeping the Carkies in check. Derval has a great depth of knowledge and while sour looking can be quite positive. Sonia has morphed fully into Jerry Kiernan mode, hair and all. Rob the racist has some decent insights but seems incapable of being able to talk about something without making it about himself somehow.

9 Likes

Ah @Mac

6 Likes

Is Rob Heff a racist? What did he do?

Never ever ever should a mickey mouse rugby semi final or a meaningless international friendly take precedence over a tournament event such as this on the national broadcaster. Questions should be asked.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl:

The quarter final of one of RTE primary season long sports events that they pay to cover you mean

Both points true here.

Absolutely no one of consequence would have objected to that tin pot game not being shown.

4 Likes

Sure lookit, if RTE want to pay bags of money to cover the 5th most important European competition in a niche sport only played seriously in a handful of countries then there’s not a whole lot any of us can do to influence it

1 Like

Robbie has grown on me lately & I think it’s sheer enthusiasm when he butts in with a “something similar happened to me!” anecdote rather than wanting to be the centre of attention. It amuses me on the podcast with Gillick & O’Rourke when he asks Gillick something specific but cuts him off against almost instantly.

1 Like

Yes!!

I don’t know much about Rob Heffernan other than he was a reasonably competitive race-walker.

Why is he called Rob the Racist? What did he do/say? Genuine question.

I’d say his wife is happy enough he’s staying in a gaff in Dublin with two stunners like Sonia and Derval.

1 Like

Anyone have access to Cathal Dennehy article from the Indo regarding Adeleke’s timetable for Paris?

Try this

1 Like

My sources in Rome say that Adeleke will run relay final this evening

Not a surprise at all and great news. Should make for a cracking race. Given the opposition it would likely be the most impressive Gold Medal of the trio if they manage to win it. The Dutch should go in as strong favourites.

1 Like