Athletics Thread

Well they do give mares a 7lbs allowance to be fair

Horse beating isn’t a sport

You spelled eating wrong mate.

Is there much of a difference genetically between male and female horses?

Before or after they chop their bollox off to make them run faster?

I was talking more about the jockeys but to answer your specific question I haven’t a clue

Their tits get in the way jumping a fence

The people sitting on the horse can be men or women? Groundbreaking stuff

Yep tis unreal

I swear to god lads cant be this dumb in real life

LGFA has a chance of getting close I’d say in some counties given the declining population of the men’s game and the increase in women playing

Female jockeys have no allowance. Big difference between a mare and a colt usually so they get 3 pounds.

This fella I’m nearly certain argued jockeys didn’t need to be fit and essentially anyone could do it a few years back

She didn’t execute the race plan’ – ‘Coach Flo’ says ‘immature’ Rhas…

Today at 01:30

Post-race criticism leaves Irish star in tears after 400m final tactics backfire

Rhasidat Adeleke, right, is just pipped for the gold medal by Natalia Kaczmarek of Poland in the women's 400m final at the European Athletics Championships in Rome. Photo: Sam Barnes/Sportsfile

Rhasidat Adeleke, right, is just pipped for the gold medal by Natalia Kaczmarek of Poland in the women’s 400m final at the European Athletics Championships in Rome. Photo: Sam Barnes/Sportsfile

Edrick Floreal watched Rhasidat Adeleke’s 400m final at the European Championships on TV in Texas on Monday and waited for her phone call afterwards. He wasn’t happy.

Floreal – known as ‘Coach Flo’ – didn’t travel to Rome because of a schedule clash with the NCAA Championships, so he sent his assistant, his son Edrick Jnr, to Italy to look after Adeleke and Great Britain’s Dina Asher-Smith who is also part of his stable of stars.

After she slashed 0.13s off her Irish record to post 49.07 and win silver, Edrick Jnr told Adeleke she would have to do the inevitable. She would have to ring Coach Flo.

While the 21-year-old’s achievement was widely celebrated, her coach had a different assessment. They knew what the race plan was. Floreal finally got the call from Adeleke.

“I just told her, ‘What was that?’. It was a few words of anger and disappointment from coach to athlete,” Floreal tells the Irish Independent.

“I know that she wanted to win that gold medal really bad. She’s a gamesman. She can really play down when she’s disappointed, but she doesn’t do it with me. She was crying.

“And I told her, ‘I know you’re crying. You’re very disappointed but you have to do better. You have to start executing and becoming a professional and executing things as it’s required to do’. I wasn’t happy. She wasn’t happy.”

Floreal says Adeleke didn’t run the first 200 metres the way they planned. The strategy was to run it in 22.90/23.00 (her split was 23.69) and use her greater speed over Natalia Kaczmarek to force the Pole into making a decision: go with Adeleke and risk tying up in the home straight – like the second leg of the mixed relay when Lieke Klaver tried to live with the Tallaght woman, and failed – or allow Adeleke run up a sizeable lead and try to close her down.

Floreal says Kaczmarek did not have to make that decision because his protegee did not attack the first 200 metres.

“She didn’t really execute the race plan. She used her fitness to be competitive as opposed to use her fitness to her advantage. I don’t think she ran particularly well as far as what the plan was for her to do.

“She’s still young and maybe a little bit immature when it comes to executing the plan and then sticking to it. She’s not running to her strength. She needs to take it out and be more aggressive in the first 200 metres.

“That’s my big concern. We have not executed the race plan that we’re going to use in Paris which means I’m a little bit nervous about, ‘Man, we got to get that done at some point’.”

What about not tapering her training for Rome?

“Ideally, the goal is show up at Paris and have a legitimate chance of winning a medal. If you want to do that then every practice has to be with Paris in mind because if we taper for Europeans, that’s three or four work-outs that you give away for Paris. Do you want to do that? She was like, ‘No’.”

This feeds into the big talking point about whether she will run a relay at the Olympics. Adeleke finished the Europeans with an unprecedented haul of three medals, including the stunning gold and silver with the mixed 4x400m and women’s 4x400m relays.

To win a medal in the 400m at the Olympics, Floreal says Adeleke will have to run sub-49 seconds, which is what he’s basing every training session on – and he believes she could have done that in Rome.

Because she hasn’t done that so far, he says he doesn’t have the data to see how her body will react to running that fast.

In Paris, the heat of the mixed relay is on Friday, August 2, with the final the next day. The heat of the women’s 400m is the Monday.

Adeleke will have “some say” in the final decision on her relay participation but Floreal insists he’s undecided.

“I’m not saying yes. I’m not saying no. But I told her that the number one job she had is to make sure that Ireland qualifies in the 4x4 and mixed relay team [at the World Relays last month] and I told her that once she’s done that, I feel like you’ve met your duty to your country.

“Then the rest of it is, ‘what’s the best decision?’. It might be in her best interests to run a round [in the mixed relay] to get the nerves out.

“We’re not there yet. Right now, I’m still dealing with trying to get her to run the race in a way that advantages her. Until we do that, those decisions will come a little bit later.”

Floreal says Adeleke is “nowhere near” her potential and wants her to run sub-49 in a Diamond League meet before Paris.

He’s going to change some of her training as soon as she returns to Texas.

“I’ve already told her: ‘Man, if I was you, I would just stay in Rome because when you get back here, there’s going to be hell to pay. We’re going to adjust some of your training to make sure you know exactly how to do this’.

“Her training is going to be a little bit more race-modelling. I’m going to have her go through the first 250 metres at the right pace and then go back, finish and do it over and over until she understands: that’s the pace.”

Nail the pace, then watch this space.

1 Like

He’s a bit talkative

4 Likes

I thought that too. What’s to be gained?

He loves the sound of his own voice. Very insightful all the same but I’d wonder how much of it is PR spin

Absolutely nothing. Opening the kimono a bit before Paris as well.

I don’t think so mate

4D chess to get the US athletes worried