Athletics Thread

Tough station mate. What age is he

Well this is it.

Its strength that underpins everything. There is severe types and autism in general but way less than people think. But with dyspraxia my anecdotal evidence and experience is telling me that icerwhelmingly its down to lack of movement when young. This means lack of strength. Strength is neuromuscular, it is intrinsically linked to motor skills.
Why are kids weaker tgese days? Because they do not do enough “play” anymore. Thats the absolute bottom line issue. I did a short term course on “Play” thru Sheffield Hallam recently and i would advise anyone with kids to do. Really enjoyable but mind boggling how we have changed so quickly too.

I’m not saying that strength training is the all cure. But it should be crossed off the list.

Its in the interests of physios and OT’s to collaborate to diagnose it. I know the physical tests they do, they are simply strength tests. I have seen the OT program given out as well, 3 different kids, 3 exact same program from different OT’s. What does that say? No individualization. So when dealing with an individual and there is no individualization one automatically has to question. I automatically say scam. It may not be real cynical scamming (they are trained to be.myopic) but scamming nobe the less. To a man any oarents i dealt with have told me OT was a waste of time.
If you live near Thurles i would head into Setanta and have a chat with Michael Fenneally or one of those lads.
There is no reason he cannot get back to sport. None.

1 Like

16, just sat his Junior Cert.

1 Like

Never too late. I deal with that age too. We figured out one guy was being bullied at GAA and is now playing rugby and doing athletics.

Myself and the oarents decided to say fuck all and leave it kinda fade away, but it was clear ge had no conditiin. He just was not happy or confident.

Thats just an example, not for a minute saying yours is not 10o% genuine. Just saying keep the faith. 6 months is a gell of a long tine for a kid.

1 Like

Diagnosing kids with special needs is the biggest sham industry in the country. Bressie will surely be on that train soon.

I accept there are a certain small percentage with genuine special needs but now every second needy parent are going off getting their kids assessed just because they didn’t get top marks in a 2nd class maths exam or failed to get a medal in the school sports day.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that mate. Kids can be challenging without those additional hurdles.

4 Likes

Ya personally think it comes in all shapes and sizes.

Its mostly an abdication of responsibility. And it varies.

Sometimes parents, sometimes teachers, sometimes coaches, sometimes peers, sometines a combi of factors. Sometimes even the kid themselves manipulating it for attention. In fact thats very common.

Physios, OT’s and special needs teachers lap it up. Primary school teachers get nice over time for doing an extra week or toao with these kids in summer.

Bit of a gravy train on some levels

1 Like

I coach a kid with dyspraxia. He seems to struggle to bend down so has mastered his own unique way of picking the ball. It looks mad but he’s comfortable with it and it’s actually very effective.

1 Like

Correct to a point but at the same time you have to have a label to make any headway servicewise in this country. We pretty much knew our son had autism at just over a year and pushed hard to get him diagnosed early as we were going nowhere until he was diagnosed.

7 Likes

On something i have noticed. And this could be significant or a total cooincidence.

Underprivilaged kids don’t get dyspraxia, or indeed any of the variants of autism either.

That says alot to me

Jaysus kev I know a young lad from a right shit hole in Cork who has bad autism.He’s a son of mywife’s friend.

1 Like

As i said, it maybe just cooincidence. And maybe just my environment.

However i am not the only one to notice it.

He’s the only kid with autism I know tbf.

As well as that i’m talking about the questionable cases. Not the cut and dry ones.

This is just absolute Bollox. I enjoy your regular generalisations for the humour they provide but this is fucking Horseshit.

3 Likes

You wouldn’t hand them back all the same.

5 Likes

Its not bollix at all.

Its my experience.

It may not represent the entire population, but it is my experience.

Have you some evidence of a different trend? Or its hard for you to think about?

Not hard for me to think about at all. I work with thousands of students of all sort all over the country every year. I would go the complete opposite and say that the shitter demographics schools have way more kids with various “conditions”. I’m certainly saying that your flippant assertion is Horseshit.*

Edited for repetition.

1 Like

It wasn’t flippant. I clearly said it was my experience and it may mean nothing.

However the fact i was not alone it noticing it is something worth noting.

Do you coming into contact and actually get numbers of kids with conditions? Are you there for that reason?

No. I’m there for other reasons entirely but generally get notified of something like that by their teachers to make sure we don’t accidentally embarrass them while working.