Athletics Thread

I heard a HR person recently say that an undergraduate degree is now looked at same as ones LC points were 20 years ago.

So many routes into what one wants to do nowadays that doing something you are interested in for starters is definitely the best approach

I get parents all the time asking whether their kid should pick my subjects for leaving cert. These very often would be parents of students that I have never taught.

I tell students and parents that students should pick subjects they are genuinely interested in. This way, they are more likely to end up studying something at third level that interest them and so find themselves in a career that they enjoy. A large part of a happy life is doing a job that you enjoy.

A big mistake that kids make when choosing subjects for leaving cert is that they gravitate to subjects where they perceive the ‘best’ teachers are. Their parents push them in that direction aswell.

2 Likes

Spot on.

And the trap of “easy points in ag science, geography, business”

1 Like

And doing extra subject(s) for leaving cert.

There is a whole industry built on it.

1 Like

100% agree. And its an awful let down then when you realise tgey are not all that are only any use to a certain type of student

1 Like

What do you think about grinds?

Quite a rebellion against them now from the educational psychologists and such people.

Personally i found them too much pressure and they did nothing for me. I think i see alot of that with some kids now as well. Missing hurling games from grinds for instance. Thats wrong

I think you are over playing the importance of hurling games

So over playing the importance of exercises, socialization, companionship, friendship.

You think its better to exclude them and isolate them and shove your own ideas down their throats while they slowly get unhealthier.

God help your kids.

Barr finished fifth in his heat, but upgraded to fourth and an automatic qualifying spot on a DQ for lane infringement. 49.79, will need to improve on that to make final.

Wtf has that got to do with this thread?

8 Likes

On a related note, i have experienced several parents over the years withdrawing kids from sport at christmas before LC.

Dumb.

I think he might be on the spectrum

3 Likes

Is Barr back to his level now after his sudden ‘spike’ in performance at the Olympics?

3 Likes

children need down time mate, an overly eager stick hurling coach angry that a kid chooses to miss a match is the last thing they need

Not dumb at all, the pressure of organised sport is the last thing kids need. Exercise such as swimming running or an informal game of 5 a side or lawn tennis with their peers is much better

Pressure in kids sport? wtf?

my views exactly but sadly there are zealots like Kev out there

You are retarded.

You have exposed yourself as a shit parent too which is funny on one side and sad on another

You are a quack