BBQs and barbecuing - I love ribeye more than I love my kids

Are you grilling or bbq-ing? Gas if you’re grilling…

Interesting. I assume you have an equivalent of a big green egg? Are there many different types of Kamodo out there or do BGE have the market cornered

Weber Master Touch 57cm charcoal bbq will give you the best bang for your buck.

But if you aren’t a confident and competent cook, then you might be better off sticking with gas.

3 Likes

I have indeed got one. The three that spring to mind are Big Green Egg, Kamado Joe, and Kamado Bono. They all do effectively the same thing, with a fairly heavy price variation between them. I find the temp very easy to control, and have reverse seared porterhouse steaks on it which is a good test. The pizzas were class by the way. A lovely crust with perfect toppings, and thanks to the daisy wheel vent at the top I was able to keep an eye on them so they didn’t burn.

Remember you live in Ireland. Unless you are trying to prove a point or trying to justify the expense of purchasing an overspecced barbecue, you’ll cook outside about 3 times a year. The rest of the time you’ll be gazing out wanly at your barbecue rusting in the rain. So don’t spend too much. By a medium sized Weber with a charcoal chimney. Lights first time every time and you’ll get enough heat to cook for around 45 minutes which should be enough for anyone. People will start getting cold then and ye will have to come in.

7 Likes

Yeah, I held off buying this year in the hope of being as to justify the BGE next year. In my head I feel I would get year round use of it so interested to hear your thoughts on the practicalities of it such as set up and storage

A lot of lads here think they’re living in the south of France with their fancy barbecues and decking. Making the family have a bbq in the pissings of rain to justify the cost

1 Like

That’s what I got after recommendation on here and I’ve not looked back. A different experience to outdoor grilling.

1 Like

I made this exact point to the mother at home. She completely ignored me

Id have used the barbecue two dozen times since start of may. Easily get your money’s worth even if it means having to dip out between showers occasionally. With the closing hood on it, can cook away even if it is raining and doing something like abig joint of meat/full chicken

4 Likes

That’s exactly it. Some lads seem to think that if you cook outside, you’ve to eat outside. It’s bizarre. They might as well go the whole hog and force the family to shit outside afterwards. I’ve been known to fire up the bbq in winter, If it’s raining, bring the beautifully smoked food back indoors.

11 Likes

And she was dead right.
You can use the BBQ all year round.

4 Likes

lads standing out in the pissings of rain cooking a steak to justify dropping a wedge on a fancy BBQ :smiley: :smiley:

I’d say the wife would lose an awful lot of respect for you dashing in and out with a brolly to check the thermometer

Charcoal bbq’s aren’t expensive.

FFS.

You get the temperature sent to an app on your phone while you are inside watching a match.
Some lads are clane useless, and are trying to hide their own inadequacies by lashing out at the competent confident cooks.

4 Likes

we’re having a BBQ

But Dad, it’s pissing and freezing.

I said we’re having a BBQ didn’t I, I’m great

I wouldn’t know what I’d do without my WeberConnect App

The opposite - she respects me for not smoking up the kitchen with my rikki lakes and ‘takes it outside’

3 Likes

It’s the same lads, time and again. Giving out about running in the rain. Giving out about cooking in the rain. They may as well fuck off to Mali.

3 Likes

You’d think they were disprins.