Bleeding Radiators

Are you an alias of @Mac ? The two most negative fuckers on the forum.

Ballsy lads like us haven’t got the time to be dealing with your menial problems

2 Likes

Really? Yet you spend so much time commenting on them.

@Rocko - investment opportunity

2 Likes

Moved into a D2 rated bungalow a couple of years ago. Last year we got work done to improve the heating system, new and extra rads. Short term until we renovate. Nice and cosy last year but this year the rooms are baltic even with heating is on. Rads seem ok. Could whatever insulation is there have degenerated so bad in a year?

How old is the house?

Not if it was done right

I got the insulation done there 2 years ago. Bought the house new back in 04.
Arranged a price and went with that. After he finished the job, he reckoned it cost him more then he charged me.

1 Like

Heating system and insulation are separate things. The give away is when you look at the outside of the roof on a frosty morning after the heat has been on for an hour or so. If the frost is melting off the roof it’s a sign the insulation is shit and the heat is escaping.

You’ve to watch out for potential pitfalls when trying to make an older house warmer. If you try to make it airtight you end up with mold and if you don’t, you freeze your nut sack off.

1 Like

This is a very good point. I actually had to remove some insulation from the attic because they had just put loads in there and air wasn’t circulating.

Plenty cowboys at it

Could it be a poltergeist?

1 Like

He wasn’t a cowboy in fairness. It was the cunt that built the house. One of the walls had no beading at all in it.
Now in fairness it does take a good six months to a year to settle down. But yesterday morning I came down the stairs and to be honest neither heating nor fire needed to be lit till after the the dinner. Even at that I think we just topped the fire up once around 6 and had to let the thing burn out after that.

Best 3k I ever spent

Yeah it’s a no brainer alright. Probably the best bang for your buck you can spend on the house.

Did you get the walls pumped was it?

Yep. Got it done there the summer of last year.
Was a bit disappointed during last winter as I felt even though there was a difference, it wasn’t great.
But this year it’s really after improving. We only had the heating on for an hour this morning and timed to come on for an hour and a half this evening. House is cosy all over.

1 Like

So to be clear… you didn’t upgrade the insulation at all?

1 Like

cc. @mikehunt

2 Likes

Built in the 80’s. Insulation is thin in the attic. No cavity insulation. Frost on roof after an hour of heat on. One year old waking up cos of the cold we think. Put electric heater on in coldest room but room stayed at 13.5 degrees. Maybe it was a far milder winter last year.

Possible if it were an ex teacher. Wasn’t present during the summer.

You on gas or oil?