Bogstandard 🐐 GAA photos

Definitely have a few knocking around the parents, must go dig them out some day.

That is one awkward bastard looking photo. . Boots came off, soloing with hand practically on butt of the hurl… Worse again hurl is also turned in the wrong way…socks down, shinguard showing… Surely The first time a mycro helmet is the most natural looking thing in a photo…

3 Likes

A robin built a nest in one in my parents garage.

2 Likes

A micro-robin?

1 Like

No harm. Carvery muck doled out to you…

Minor final '93 Looks like, Ollie OConnor is the KK player. Think that’s Ollie Canning further back in the black micro.

1 Like

Puma Kings and Copa’s all round.

Supplied by Hennesseys Sports at the time, the seniors got the same that year.

Ironically the fella in the shot was a serious showboater. The shot came about from a passage of play where he gathered the ball in his right hand then proceeded to solo down the wing with his left hand. As players approached he swapped back to his natural and better protected side.

1 Like

Shinguards??

Is that a young Greg Kennedy about to put in a challenge?

Yes, couldn’t recall but he was familiar looking.
Liam Smith is the blurred out Kilkenny player.

1 Like

Were you on the panel?

1992 Minor final here. Derek’s main contribution appears to have been to confirm that he wasn’t concussed.

No I was too young and at an age where you’d idolise the Minors more than the Seniors almost. Stood in the Canal end from about 11.30 that morning in order to get a daycent view for for the minor game.
I’d say I’ve watched that game over a 100 times ; thinking now also the blurred image is Kevin Grogan not Smith.

3 Likes

The minor teams of the 90’s were indeed legends unlike any others. You were right to idolise a 90’s minor player.

5 Likes

County Polo Shirts on in the Nightclub/Discho the night of a championship match with throngs of young wans just queuing up to get a glance - They were God like!

3 Likes

Twas unrale stuff. Hedonistic days not unlike Sodom and Gomorrah. A county polo shirt outside Supermacs at 2.30AM was almost a license to pull a young wan.

1 Like

Was at this match as a guest of gaa for winning the Feile that summer … Only memory is of pat o Neill lording the senior game…

Followed by a job as a beer rep or club orange rep.