Boxing II

I think he needs to beat at least Usyk as well to go down as an all time great. The division isnā€™t up to much and heā€™ll beat Joshua by as much as he likes.

Always a risk of walking into one against Joshua, but Iā€™d imagine fury will be a heavy favourite and rightly.

1 Like

Tyson Fury Points or Decision 17/10.
Fill your boots.

I dont think Fury will take this fight right now. He should but I sense it will fall apart.

Ideal for AJ, his stock is at an all-time low and his team have just batted it back to Fury by accepting. His team have played a blinder, it will look Furyā€™s fault if this doesnt happen now.

Fury is in a bit of a lose lose here, beat him well, and its Usyk and the fat Mexicanā€™s left overs. Lose and the Vlad and Wilder fights mean nothing.

I dont think Fury wants it. He didnt want to rematch Vlad either.

Joshua improved significantly in his past fight too, and nobody with his power can ever be anything but a risk, albeit youā€™d back wilder to beat Joshua any day of the week, and that is how I see it. Wilder is more powerful, more dangerous and a better boxer than Joshua.

1 Like

Also, AJ has the DAZN deal now and this wont be going on that. Presume theyll freeze it

Really is ideal timing, if he loses to Fury, he can do a bullshit world tour on DAZN, or fight UFC guys and youtubers if he so chooses. Heā€™ll know where he stands and thats a boxing career fulfilled.

AJ is underrated. I thought he looked sharp v Usyk but got very tired after the ninth. AJ clearly bettered by the Ukrainian but not outclassed. They say Usyk himself has slowed a lot from his prime in 18 and 19 when he won all the cruiserweight belts.

I wouldā€™ve liked him to come in big and heavy against Usyk to try and blast him out, but I suppose that wouldve likely led to he himself gassing and being knocked out.

Coming in heavy and going for broke early is his best chance of winning in these fights with Fury and Usyk but it is also the most likely way to be the victim of a highlight reel KO.

AJ v Wilder is probably the most exciting fight in boxing from a pure spectacle. Guaranteed KO in that either way.

1 Like

Itā€™s all about the money, and either Vs fury is just a bigger fight.

1 Like

Hearn has done a remarkable job to get AJ this far. He isnā€™t a great boxer and he has rlthe personality of a wet paper towel. His career has been plotted brilliantly

1 Like

his early career was great fun, just banging fellas out. The Vlad fight frightened the shit out of him. Vlad shouldā€™ve stopped him. Exposed AJā€™s chin and stamina. Started fighting conservatively after that. Stank the pace out in the Joseph Parker fight, tried to rectify that against Ruiz in MSG and got knocked out. He kind of lost what made him good in the first place trying to become a master boxer. He is very stiff but has good fundamentals in his jab and his straight right, thereā€™s just not enough nuance to his game at the very top.

He was done over against Calzaghe Iā€™ve read. Looked a million dollars, made money but shouldā€™ve made a lot more is the impression I had of him. He fought on for a long while as well.

1 Like

He just canā€™t get inside and technical like all the greats, once that was figured out amd you cut down his range heā€™s counting on getting big hits and that wonā€™t do in title fights, youā€™ve to work a big hit. Fury wonā€™t walk in to one the majority of the time and even if he did heā€™d get up, like against wilder. Still one of the most remarkable things Iā€™ve seen in any sport. AJ doesnā€™t get up from that

2 Likes

He is a gentleman but easily manipulated. He fought the best of them too.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s it exactly, he is completely a mid-range fighter, jab, jab, right hand from mid-range. He varied it a bit v Usyk going to the body but it is too robotic and Usyk timed him. I can see Fury either using the dark arts, mauling him and getting clubbing shots off inside Andre Ward style, or winning easily with the variety in his jab from distance.

1 Like

Its a pity he wasnā€™t around in this ā€˜Instagramā€™ era with that look he had. Wouldā€™ve made a fortune.

Wasnā€™t robin Reid in the ā€œbeauty and the beastā€ fight against someone?
Was he a male model as well?

AJ is, as you say, just too stiff. He looked a lot looser actually in his last fight, but heā€™s not got either much of a chin, or much stamina. Heā€™s also a strange cookie. That last fight certainly got inside his head. He is the Frank Bruno of today. Always got a puncherā€™s chance, but just unnatural looking, and you never really expect him to beat a top top boxer, though heā€™s game.

1 Like

He was definitely a legit male model. I remember him fighting Calzaghe. Won one of the proper world titles as well. Beat Brian Magee too and heā€™d have been well into his career then.

Im trying to figure who ā€˜The Beastā€™ was on his record. Froch pre nosejob? Henry Wharton was a high level British fighter, but donā€™t get beast vibes.

Fought renowned Scottish psychpath Kenny Anderson in his last fight. Anderson dropped heavily and nearly beat a young George Groves just before he fought Degale. Reid was a hard, hard man.

1 Like

Wasnā€™t there some German/Eastern Euro lad that held onto a middle/super-middle belt during that era?

1 Like

Sven Ottke

1 Like