Boxing II

Sorry yeah, forgot about Williams. Floyd never fought anyone with greater reach than himself. I think he would’ve beaten Williams but it would’ve been ugly and he wouldn’t have gotten much credit

I think he gets the criticism because he was the draw, the P4P #1 and he held the cards with regard to when fights happened. That is the perception rightly or wrongly. He maximised his the revenue making the people wait and wait with Pacquaio. Pacquaio was red hot off the De last Hoya and Hatton wins and that was probably when he would’ve given Floyd most to think about but he was never beating him. Fans just resent it not happening sooner. Think Floyd was coming back off one of his retirements around the time Pac was at his zenith.

Floyd is probably maligned for the ‘protect the 0’ culture around prospects today today. This is unfair really.

Pac was also likely juicing although he was supposed to be malnourished when he started, I’ve read it is really impossible to go up the weights in the manner he did and be shredded like he was.

I wouldn’t care re the the drugs thing, I’d say all the top lads were and are at it. Floyd had a narrow miss with an IV and think he has gotten retrospective theraputic use exemptions on a few things. Floyd was always goid for Vegas with the revenue he brought and they still tried to fuck him with that Adelaide Byrd scorecard v Canelo.

Marquez, best counterpuncher of his generation but a massive juicer by all accounts too. Hairline and back ache plus a few other things.

Floyd as the alpha dog was able to manipulate the timing and the weight classes better than others, and he was dead right. Any sensible person would do the same. Lads like hearns would move up and down to take a fight, which was warrior class. Sensible it wasn’t.

1 Like

100% I’d agree.

1 Like

Exactly. Hearns was a fighter and warrior. Mayweather wasn’t.

Mayweather was very definitely a fighter

I don’t like much about Mayweather, but you don’t go 49-0 without being a warrior. He won’t be speaking like hearns later in life either.

2 Likes

Glas can’t speak objectively about Mayweather.

He is one of the GOATs whatever anyone thinks of him as a man.

A 5 weight world champion who made the rest of his era look ordinary. Look at some of the names on his list.

The De La Hoya victory will always be the best one of the list for me. Once he won that he became the main man in boxing, be had to jump to all De La Hoya’s requests for that right and beat him.

Not to be woker than thou but I think the “Mayweather wasn’t a warrior” thing is actually a bit racist. He took incredible punishment in the ring but just never showed it. Case in point - Mayweather broke his hands numerous times in the ring but never showed pain and always fought through to win. The commentators just took it for granted that he would fight through these injuries. Meanwhile a guy like Arturo Gatti fights through a broken hand and commentators are moved to tears.

3 Likes

This I think is a bit of hysteria around a single tweet, later fudged a bit.

This simply isn’t true. Why on earth would colour come into it?

1 Like

We’re literally discussing what a warrior Hearns was. It’s Floyd’s boxing style that doesn’t get him the same comparisons

1 Like

Complete nonsense.

Anyway, Mayweather has a great record. But once he became the top boxer he picked and chose his fights. Real fighters like Hearns fought the absolute best out there, even when they were the underdog and even when they were expected to be outmatched. Mayweather for the latter half of his career simply didn’t do that.

For all his achievements Mayweather was more interested in money than in fighting the best fighters out there. That’s why I don’t have as much respect for him as other all time greats.

What a complete and utter hypocrite.

You were citing Golovkin as a warrior when the guy was a one weight flat track bully who did everything in his power to avoid a fight with Andre Ward. You were actually calling Mayweather out, a guy touching 40 who started out at 126 lbs for fighting Golovkin at 154 lbs. Yet on the other hand you thought it reasonable that a guy who fought pretty much his whole career at 170lbs and cleaned out his weight division would not step up and fight Andre Ward at 160 lbs.

I asked you a while back who Mayweather ducked throughout his career and you didn’t reply. I think @Tank was right in that there’s more than a hit of racism regarding your revisionism on Mayweather.

Protect yourself at all times.

Lovely stuff

There’s a lot of racism in boxing coverage in general, I wasnt talking about you. It’s been proven that white people identify more with the pain of white people and white fighters than black people and black fighters that leads to a scenario where whiter fighters get easier praise for the wars they go through than black fighters. Think even about Mayweather v Maidana - MW gets his nose broken early on through an illegal headbutt but battles through it all to a scrappy win, afterwards Maidana gets praised as being a courageous warrior.

It’s very sad Hagler died. When I first got into boxing he was the first black boxer that I started identifying with 100% and feeling his punches. I watched what he was going through and realised that I had dismissed the pain he endured and probably the pain of a lot of other black fighters also.

He’s dead right. It’s a brutal and dangerous sport. I dislike his hypocrisy, but if he was one of your own you’d be advising him to do exactly this. He fought and negotiated his way to the top of the pile. Of course he can and should look out for his health. It’s a vicious business.