Boxing II

Defensive genius. Floyd took the shoulder roll on and that. Met a very sad end.

Sweet Pea… He was brilliant.

1 Like

Some lads prefers boxers who spend 12 rounds swinging wildly, like a Paddy Doherty style boxer

I always feel a bit sorry for Andre Ward, nobody talks about him but he should be considered up there with the all time greats. Can’t imagine he made a huge pile out of his career for a guy of his talent.

I thought it was incredibly poor that Golovkin would not make the step up to fight Ward. I think Golovkin knew Ward would have schooled him and that’s why he never bothered. It’s funny the way Golovkin is portrayed as this warrior who will fight anyone when it’s patently not true, he’s a one weight division champion who was happy to fight bums and blown up welterweights.

1 Like

You’re making this up.
You’ve no idea whether or not he would have on the night. Ortiz like you say had greatness in him, and Mayweathers sucker punch wasn’t the action of either a nice person, or one who thought he was in control.
Contrast evander holyfield and Tyson.
Holyfield was a warrior

1 Like

Ortiz made numerous efforts to nut Mayweather in the fight ffs.

He was lucky he wasn’t disqualified.

Mayweather on the other hand took advantage of Ortiz not following the first rule you are taught in boxing, protect yourself at all times.

A class act - most of his fights were in California, dont think he had a bout in Vegas til he fought Kovalev.

Walked away at the top and only had around 30 bouts which may have also impacted the amount of money he made

Ortiz was merely carrying out the will of the people trying to nut Mayweather at every opportunity.

Not really a warrior or in the sporting manner of the game.

I think people will say Mayweather was dead right to do what he did and his was actually within the rules.

Manner

Of course.

That incident happened because Ortiz threw yet another dirty headbutt and then started apologising like a boy caught copying his homework.

1 Like

There are plenty of fighters ‘with greatness in them’, doing it on the night under the lights is another thing. I rated him, but there was nothing in his record before or after to suggest he would’ve beaten Floyd. Mayweather would’ve figured him out and swept the second half of the fight. He did it to much better fighters. i’m surprised enough at your take here, I’ve heard very few claim Ortiz would’ve won that fight. He would’ve been a major betting underdog before and in-running and was down on the cards.

Mayweather was 3-0 on the judges cards and I’d have said the fouling by Ortiz in the fourth was more likely due to him running out of ideas. My recollection of it is Ortiz using a lot of head and elbows, roughing Floyd up, but loading up with his punches and being countered & outsped. Ortiz opted out in other fights during his career before and subsequently. Cortez the ref said he told them to box on. I recall the UK media being very hacked off at it, but they were off the opinion Mayweather was messing around Amir Khan at the time. The fight generated nearly 100 million, that lad could’ve been a huge star, as it was, he did well to stay out of prison.

GGG was a great fighter for me and just a very natural middleweight. Cotto and Sergio Martinez both refused to fight him. Unfortunately he spent most of his prime in a pretty dead division. He won the first Canelo fight decisively and lost the second narrowly. He was definitely past his best by then and the first Canelo fight looks better and better as time goes on with what Canelo is doing now.

Ward was massive at 168 and comfortable at 175 subsequently. He’d have been too big for GGG I’d say. Ward would’ve tied him up, roughed him up and probably fucked him up on his way to a points victory. I thought Kovalev shaded the first Ward fight but it wasn’t a robbery Ward getting it. The adjustments he made in that fight after the knockdown were brilliant.

Kovalev would’ve been an even better fighter if he had lived the life outside of the ring.

2 Likes

Cotto was a blown up welterweight and he was never the same after the Margarita fight.

The point about Golovkin is surely if he was a warrior he’d have moved up the weight divisions, a guy of his talent, just sticking around cleaning out bums in a relatively ordinary division?

Who is the most impressive W on Golovkin’s record?

Watched the third and fourth there, ortiz is busy but hitting a lot of gloves and not landing much clean at all. Floyd had found the range and was landing clean on his, at one stage he is teeing off on him. This would’ve looked like the Hatton fight. Ortiz was getting desperate and that’s why he resorted to the butt I now feel.

Canelo 1!

No I agree, its not a good list at all. Talent wise its probably Brook.

I think what he did to Macklin and Murray, on a gauge through Macklin’s form with Sturm and Murray’s with the likes of Martinez, we can say he was pretty special though. That kind of set him apart for me as these were solid contenders who he treated like tomato cans.

He possibly should’ve got out there and stepped up, I think he wanted Froch instead of Ward and called Carl out regularly so that is probably pretty telling so you could be right. I’d have enjoyed GGG v Groves or DeGale at 168. Even that lunatic Dirrell who was actually fav for the super 6 over Ward.

And Brook is another blown up welterweight. Canelo you could argue too.

Cotto was another blown up welterweight.

I’m not diminishing Golovkin’s talent or ability but I am saying he was a bit of a coward in the fights he took on.

Mayweather took far bigger risks in his career than Golovkin could dream about. The Ward fight was there for Golovkin but he didn’t want it because he was scared of Ward. He had the opportunity.

Its a funny one, he definitely didn’t fancy it, but I think it was risk/reward too. ward wasn’t a massive draw like Mayweather.

The ward fight would’ve been massive though I must concede, and mightve made stars out of both of them