Boxing II

Oh I agree.

I can fully understand why Golovkin didn’t take it on.

I’m just making the point there is this narrative about that people like to throw at Mayweather that he ducked fights. You look at his record - guys like De La Hoya, Marquez, Pacquiao, Cotto, Canelo, Hatton, Mosley, Corrales, Castillo. Big, big names. You look at the best fighters all the way up from 128 -154 there’s very few of the best in those weight divisions he didn’t fight.

On the other hand you have Golovkin, a guy who is portrayed as a warrior who would fight anyone yet he was a one weight champ who stayed in an ordinary division and cleared it out when he had massive challenges in what was a pretty good super middleweight division at the time.

Mayweather was getting lots of grief for not fighting Golovkin while Golovkin was getting next to none for not fighting Ward. Ward-Golovkin made far more sense than Golovkin-Mayweather. I think Mayweather’s ideal weight would probably have been at lightweight but he spent most of it at welter where the bigger fights were.

2 Likes

Hard to disagree with that.

2 good posts there. Re: GGG’s record, Jacobs and LeMieux were both very good fighters and I see no obligation on GGG to get beaten up by Andre Ward. I also see no obligation on Mayweather to get beaten up by GGG or Martinez.

GGG is white, Mayweather is black and not an Uncle Tom. They were calling GGG an American hero FFS.
(Great fighter though)

Edit: agree that he beat Alvarez fairly well the first time.

1 Like

Ward ended his career a 175lb fighter. GGG is a career middleweight. Don’t remember any major clamour for GGG to fight him.

GGG cleared the mw division out like a champ should. He beat Alvarez twice in my opinion. He was the main man at 160.

Ward was an elite fighter but lets not over eulogise him. He was a light punching technician who knew how to control the ring and spoil and steal rounds. He got a gift decision against Kov on the first fight. Most obejective observers saw him losing that by at least a couple of rds.

Floyd was the best of his era. He did duck Pacman though when he was on that ridiculous tear post Hatton and during the Clottey, Margarito beatdown period. Floyd and his father were on radio shows and call ins saying Pac was a juiced up cheater etc etc. Not denying Floyd was the best but it’s revisionist history to say he didn’t duck Pac at that time.

Do you have to bring race into everything, does it make you feel good or something? Mayweather is celebrated as an all time great and I think was the highest paid athlete in the world for 3/4 years in a row. You’re knowledge of boxing seems rudimentry at best.

Wouldn’t be sure about that, Kovalev basically didn’t/ couldn’t do anything after the early knockdown. I remember analyst’s being split afterwards.

The rest of your post is accurate enough except that when the Mayweathers said that Pac was juicing they were almost certainly right and Pac refused to fight Mayweather because he didn’t want to have to give a blood sample.

As regards race I just say what I see. I remember before the McGregor fight talking to a few friends who should have known better saying that Mayweather might throw the fight in exchange for a share in the UFC from Dana White. Would you say that about Marciano? I remember thinking that this guy has won 49 fights against the best god only fucking knows what he’s been through, probably what he goes through every day, and you’re talking about him throwing a fight for money. You have to ask serious questions about how people’s recognition for Mayweather’s heroism / warrior spirit was so low. Empathy was rock bottom. When I say “empathy” I don’t mean that people have to like him remotely of course, just that there was no understanding whatsoever of his character. People honestly believed their prejudices of a cowardly black villain. I take no pleasure in this.

Fighting that chump McGregor in the first place was an insult to his warrior spirit when he could have stayed retired or fought a real boxer.

2 Likes

Your race point is nonsense. The discussion arose with a comparison to another black fighter, Hearns. Anyone drawing unfavorable comparisons has compared him to other black fighters as far as I can see. I didn’t see anyone compare him unfavourably to a white fighter.

You’re probably right. I just don’t like Mayweather much.

You have unfavourably compared him with Golovkin in the past.

I’ve made my points about Golovkin here already, a one weight world champion who cleaned out a fairly ordinary division but never stepped to what was a very competitive super middle division.

That you thought Mayweather had bigger questions to answer by not stepping up to 160 (he started off at 128) than Golovkin had of not stepping up from 160 (where he spent pretty much his whole boxing career) to 168 to fight Ward says it all.

You’re the only one talking about Golovkin.

Can see why you wouldn’t, and he did have the punch in him if he got the chance. Nobody knows for sure as you say.

Re Ortiz, they’d kill to have a Latin prospect like him at welter at the minute. Should have looked after him better and provided a better environment.

It’s the old one about the match being the same whether it’s over a yoke of petrol or a yoke of water.

Ortiz was a natural fighter, vould crack with both hands, good looking lad, charismatic. They let him fuck it up, they shouldve been on top of him like they are Ryan Garcia now. If they’d handled him right, it would have been Floyd needing to fight Ortiz.

Yeah.

I’m giving an example of a fighter who is held up as a warrior but who didn’t take on many risks in his career.

And a fighter who took on many risks in his career and is portrayed as someone who ducked fighters.

Can we all just agree that there’s something unlikeable about Mayweather, and move on.
He’s like the kind of neighbour would pull a stroke over a gatepost.

1 Like

He’s a hateful cunt

1 Like

I think Mayweather gets a tough time.

He didn’t have the easiest of upbringings and obviously the thing about him attacking women are horrendous but when you compare the flak he gets with someone like Tyson then there’s a big difference.

Ok. That’s why you introduced him to the conversation, I don’t know why you keep repeating it.

Anyway, most people seem to have a different opinion of Mayweather to you. Agree to disagree. Live and let live.

I think you became emotionally involved when you tried to run Mayweather down because you don’t like him rather than on his merits as a boxer.

I never questioned his merits as a boxer.

You did.