Boxing II

Only thing Iā€™d say against it is that the pool of talent to draw from was way bigger back in the day with boxing being by far the most lucrative sport.

The big guys in America now are favouring the NFL and NBA. In the 40s, 50s, 60s, the times that produced the golden era of the 70s, nearly every good athlete boxed or had given it a cut anyway.

Other thing Iā€™d notice is Furyā€™s mastery of infighting, using his weight, tying up when needed, controlling the opponents head. Dark arts basically, lads canā€™t do it today. Andre Ward was unfathomable for lads due to his mastery of this and its what really holds back Joshua, who is just a good jab and a straight right.

Lastly, size does matter, Wilder could comfortably make cruiserweight if he wanted to, most of his fights have been under the limit.

Wilder was superb for a guy that started so late, a warrior on the night too. History should look back on the trilogy fondly yous think.

3 Likes

Iā€™d agree.

I generally am not that bothered in the heavyweight divisions anyway.

The best divisions in boxing are generally lightweight up to little middle. These are the common sizes, you know guys 5ft8 - 6ft1, theyā€™re not circus freaks, they can move, they need to have good technique and speed is the name of the game.

I think heavyweights are generally for the casual fan.

2 Likes

Very possible, itā€™s hard to say. For all he achieved, Vladimir was a massive underachiever relative to his talent. The washed Vlad shouldve beaten AJ, he had him, but he was too scared of what was coming back and let AJ recover.

Vladimir had similarish power to Wilder almost, and more training, skill, coordination, size and athleticism.

Is fury the best white heavyweight of the last 50 years? The Klitschkos I suppose and Joe bugner and Kevin McBride.
Heā€™s probably the best English heavyweight ever. Heā€™d surely bate enery cooper and Bruno.

1 Like

I suppose the main attraction of heavyweight is that the world heavyweight champion has always been the ā€˜bestā€™ boxer in the world in that hed bayt everyone else just due to sheer size and strength even if his skills arenā€™t as good.

Itā€™s a bit like enjoying the Leinster Championship in that regard.

Kevin McBride isnā€™t in the conversation for best white heavyweight

Heā€™s the best Monaghan heavyweight Iā€™d say in fairness

1 Like

Iā€™d fancy Big Tom to outpoint him.

2 Likes

Strange that the Brits donā€™t seem to big him up and hero worship him like they did AJ.

1 Like

Kevin McBride ffs. Iā€™d give him a fight. Gerry Cooney would have had him on toast.

1 Like

Its because he is a traveller

Fury is a seriously skilful boxer , thereā€™s no doubt about that. Heā€™s got a dodgy chin but he has the heart of a lion, heā€™ll leave a great legacy tbf

Ah come on!! Kevin Mcbride like!!
Tommy Morrison was a fantastic boxer but unfortunately was in an era with some of the best ever heavyweights,
Golota was another fantastic white boxer but just couldnā€™t keep his demons Uber wraps

Fucking hell Wilder took some punishment in that fight. Ref couldā€™ve maybe stopped it before the last ko it didnā€™t look like he was defending himself at that stage.

I thought McBride was so shite that it would be an obvious joke

Marketing mainly. Fury doesnā€™t play the game. Canā€™t see him where AJ will end up, on celebrity love island, or the dancing thing, or, worst of all, a question of sport.

Iā€™d say one thing Fury doesnā€™t have yet is a dodgy chin

2 Likes

McBride is comfortably in the top 10 best heavy weights of the past 50 years

1 Like

Big Joe Joyce would hammer the pick of them