Boxing II

No thatā€™s completely inaccurate.

Would he have been the greatest heavyweight of his era if he was 6ft?

Yeah. An utterly stupid comment. Thereā€™s really no point in engaging further heā€™ll run with for the day.

Waiting for answer guys?

I think youā€™ll find youā€™re conceding defeat here as you are unable to debate the point. If Ali had been 6ft would he have beaten Foreman?

Iā€™ve no idea. You said he was the greatest BECAUSE of his size. He fought plenty of guys who were taller, plenty who were heavier and loads who hit harder.

He fought 61 fights. How many of those fights were against taller opponents? You said plenty, how many?

Ernie Terrell and Chuck Wepner the only ones I found, thatā€™s 2, thatā€™s around 3%.

What a stupid stupid statement.

Joe Bugner was taller than him definitely. Bob Foster and Ken Norton were at least as tall as him, as were several others. He fought Norton 3 times

Edit: Ron Lyle was also taller

Edit: also Richard Dunn

Once again, youā€™re unable to put forward a coherent argument, just throw shade.

How would Ali have got on against a boxer like Fury or the Klitschkos who physically dominate by 4-6 inches and are very solid technical boxers? He never had to that because he was a very physically dominating heavyweight.

Half an inch.

And an inch and both were journeymen boxers.

Iā€™m not saying Ali wasnā€™t a good boxer, that would be ridiculous but he would not have dominated the heavyweight division if he was not one of the biggest heavyweights about.

I disagree. He fought like a smaller man, used his reflexes rather than range to get out of the way of punches

Yeah but he was a bigger man, he used his reach and jab to control the distance. He used his size to dominate that division. He had huge physical advantages that he used very well.

If he was 6ft he would not have been able to do that in the heavyweight division.

His main physical advantage, in my opinion, was speed. Anyway, I disagree. I think he would have been incredibly effective regardless of his size (within reason, obviously) and would have outclassed the majority of fighters from any era

You didnā€™t put forward a coherent argument.

You just refused to debate. He fought 61 fights, how many were against bigger men?

He was one of the biggest heavweights about and thatā€™s why he was able to dominate the heavyweight division. I did not say he could not box or anything, I said that his size allowed him to dominate that division.

He never had to deal with a Klitschko or Fury.

I donā€™t disagree with that.

I merely said in relation to Klitschko or Fury he was never in a fight against a decent boxer who physically dominated him and in boxing a good big guy beats a good little and a lot of the time a good big guy beats a great little guy.

Ali was one of the biggest heavyweights about in his era, I think if Ali was about today, heā€™d have struggled to be the dominant heavyweight in an era of Furey, Wilder and Klitschkos.

Hi skill and speed and character were irrelevant mate, he only won because of his size.

Heā€™d have struggled (I canā€™t think of ANY heavyweight who wouldnā€™t against Fury) but I think he was better.

Itā€™s apples and oranges anyway. The heavyweight landscape is completely different

Iā€™d agree which is why size matters in boxing. Ali had the advantage in his era of being one of the biggest heavyweights about, if he was fighting at a size disadvantage as he would be in todayā€™s era then I think he would not dominate and thatā€™s the point Iā€™ve made. He didnā€™t have to dismantle bigger men in his era, he was as big as they were. Whereas he would have had to in an era of Klitschko or Furey. He might be a better boxer than them but I think they would be better heavyweights than him.

For me heavyweights donā€™t really come into the discussion of greatest boxers of all time, itā€™s the guys who rise up through weight ranks and beat bigger and stronger boxers consistently.

Gas to see @glasagusban getting so upset about comments on Ali when he is the same fool who likes to throw shade at a 5 weight world champion who has beaten bigger and strong fighters consistently.

ā€œThrow shadeā€ :joy: