Boxing Thread

MBB thinks boxing is finished because two fighters had a fight :lol:

:clap:

It could be worse. Audley Harrison could have been involved.

Clips from the Macklin-Martinez press conference. Andy Lee looks like an extra from ‘There Will Be Blood’.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDdr7Cr9NE4

Please tell me Sky this.

I’d say they will, don’t they normally have the hbo fights? Martinez will probably stop him anyway. I’d say the best Macklin can hope for is going the distance and taking 3 or 4 rounds. He might get another shot at Sturm or a shot at Chavez Jr after that.

They haven’t had alot of the recent big fights. The Marquez/Pacquiao, Margarito/Cott and forthcoming Mayweather/Cotto fights have all not been on Sky.

He was dressing like a 1920’s dandy not too long ago so it seems an improvement of sorts. His mot is an arty musician/singer. I presume it’s her influence.

Maidana is fighting this weekend. Pretty much guaranteed a show there. An absolute warrior. Broner is fighting on the undercard as well.

I see Curtis Woodhouse is lined up to be McCloskey’s next opponent? WTF is Hearns playing at here?

McCloskey seems to be going nowhere. Pity too because with the right matches he could still make some impact you’d think.

He’d be an awkward fight for anyone in the light welter division. I think he would struggle the most against the likes of Maidana, but he’s hard to hit and his punches come from unorthodox angles. After beating Prescott and making Khan look ordinary in a fight with a controversial ending you’d think he’d be on the very of title fight or an eliminator not some no mark ex-footballer. He’s not getting any younger either.

It’s a very good division though, Bradley, Peterson, Khan, Maidana are all there. The thing is, if he keeps making the weight it will free up in a year or so with most of those guys going to 147 to fight bigger names. The likes of Rios and Guerrero will be moving up from lightweight but he’d have a better chance at getting a title shot somewhere. He has a risky kind of a style though. If you’re going to be a counterpuncher and carry your hands low against world class fighters you’ve got to be pretty fucking good at it.

He is pretty good at it though. He was making Khan look extremely average in that fight and Khan was actually tiring pretty badly which was the biggest shame. Nobody would look forward to fighting McCloksey as he’s just so awkward to fight, whether he’s got a world title in him is another question but he’s definitely good enough to be competing at this level.

He was six rounds down from six when the fight was stopped, and that wasn’t just on the judge’s scorecards. He doesn’t seem to be very well managed but at the same time what has he done really? He’s a good european level fighter, but if you’re talking about title fights there isn’t a lot to sell him on. A close (and controversial) decision against Prescott (who no one rates anyway) doesn’t really cut it. Obviously this match is a complete farce though and it’s hard to understand what his management is thinking.

Six rounds down, but six rounds where he made Khan look very poor and where Khan was looking extremely jaded. Breen said that was the plan to tire Khan out and then go for it in the last few rounds. He’s also a top 10 ranked light welter fighter so he should definitely be in the mix for more title fights. This fight just doesn’t make sense when he’s at a make or break stage in his career.

He should be in bigger fights, but he ain’t ranked top 10 anywhere.

Ranked 8 with the WBA.

The WBA? According to the WBA, Ismael El Massoudi is the second best welterweight in the world.

Who would you like to see McCloskey fight anyway?

McCloskey is apparently going to be fighting Julio Diaz (38-7) now. Fought Castillo and Baby Bull in his day (stopped late by both) and held a belt at one stage. Don’t think he’s done anything in a while. Andy Lee - JCC Jr is close to getting made by all accounts.

Good wins for Broner and Alexander at the weekend. Broner won by a 4th rd knockout and Alexander looked impressive against Maidana. Maidana looked pretty bad at 147 it must be said. Didn’t see Povetkin-Huck but reports are saying that it was the best heavyweight fight in years.

Chisora given an indefinite ban by the WBC.