Boxing Thread

He made a bit of a comeback last year but ward battered him in the national final

I remember that ward battered him, thought he had retired after that. Though if ward can’t fight in the national champs I suppose Egan should come back for one more title.

Almost sure Conlon and Nevin are fighting anyway so I’m sure Ward is if they are? I’d say skipping the nationals would be frowned upon surely. There was talk that he might need to step up a weight last year though so Kenny might avoid facing him

Great card on HBO tomorrow night. Golovkin is guaranteed entertainment and if he wins impressively the hype will go to a whole new level. HBO are definitely behind him in a big way and it’s going to be very hard for the top middleweights to keep avoiding him if he looks spectacular again.

Orlando Salido vs. Mikey Garcia could well be the fight of the year, brilliant match up between a slugger and a boxer and it’s a huge test for Garcia. He’s the real deal if he can win this one. Almost certain to end up as a war and Salido likes nothing better.

Fair play to john duddy i see hes staring in the video for the new Bon Jovi single “Because We Can”

John Duddy is an absolute gentleman.

Indeed he is totti im glad his acting is going well for him,all people for rosemount are sound

Has it been mentioned here about Steve Collins stepping back in the ring? :lol:

Yes it has.

Froch - Kessler confirmed for the O2 Arena on 25th May

Great for Dublin to be chosen to host it.

Frampton looked pretty good last night. Martinez is crude but he knows how to apply pressure and Frampton handled it well. Boxed very well on the back foot. Quigg fight should happen next but it’ll be let marinate for a while yet I expect.

Mediocre showing from Andy Lee. Won clearly but was given a bit too much trouble by what was no more than a club fighter. Will be angling after a fight with Barker or Macklin now I expect. Win that and he’ll be back in the mix. Lose and he’ll be all done.

Watched the Frampton fight and enjoyed it immensely. I’m not one to exaggerate but I think he’ll become a world champion and become one of Ireland’s greatest ever sportsmen. I think he’s fantastic.

Lee appears void of a mean streak… Someone needs to light a fire under him. He has all the skills.

He’s lacking the requisite aggression alright. There’s a few issues with him I think that in the end will prevent him from ever hanging with elite competition. First thing is that he’s physically quite weak at 160, and he’s easy enough to back up when he’s facing an aggressive opponent. While he can crack when he sets a shot up, he’s not really heavy-handed enough to stop an opponent walking him down either. It looked pretty bad last night for an unknown club fighter to be backing him into the corner and teeing off. He landed very little but it still looked bad.

Add to that the fact that he seems to run out of gas a lot of the time and the lack of head movement that makes him a bit too easy to hit and you struggle to see him ever mixing it with guys like Martinez or Chavez. He’s a very good boxer, but ultimately I think he’s lacking the physical attributes to make him an elite operator with the style he has.

Unfortunatly I think you’ve pretty much summed up Lee.

Ive met lef a right few times in NY hes a sound lad but like wtb says lacks the killer instinct which is surprising for a half pikey

He is best mates with my Brother In Law and you couldnt meet a nicer fella by all accounts.

Counts for damn all in the ring though.

First time in a long time in ring without Stewart so maybe he wasnt focused. He’ll get another chance anyway.

I assume he won last night did he KP

Yes mate. 98-94… made hard work out of it though. He was in control but failed to keep opponent at bay.

Got the fire going without reverting to agri diesel in the end! cheers.