Boxing Thread

From RTE.ie

Undefeated world super-middleweight and light-heavyweight champion Joe Calzaghe has announced his retirement from boxing.

The 36-year-old Welshman, who outpointed Roy Jones Jnr in his last fight in November, confirmed he was hanging up his gloves after winning all of his 46 professional bouts.

He told BBC Sport: 'It was a difficult decision but I have achieved everything I wanted to achieve in boxing.

‘I’ve been world champion for 11 years. I’ve got no other goals to go for. That’s why I am calling it a day.’

Calzaghe climbed off the canvas after a first-round knock-down to maintain his unblemished record against Jones Jnr in New York.

That unanimous points decision saw him retain the Ring light heavyweight title he won by beating Bernard Hopkins on a split decision last April.

He had already confirmed his dominance of the super-middleweight division with victory over Mikkel Kessler the previous November which allowed him to unify the WBO, WBA and WBC belts.

Calzaghe added, explaining the reasons behind his retirement, added: 'I had a long think with my family.

‘My children wanted me to give up, plus my mum. That’s why I called it a day and will go on to do something else.’

The Newbridge fighter did not rule out completely a return to boxing at some point in the future, but admitted he was unlikely.

He said: 'My decision is to retire. I’ve been boxing for 25 years and, like I said, I’ve achieved everything I want to achieve.

‘You can never say never in this game, but I can’t see myself boxing again. There’s loads of things I want to do. I’m proud to be one of only a few fighters in history to retire undefeated.’

Calzaghe, who was coached by his father Enzo, started his professional career in October 1993, stopping Paul Hanlon in the first round.

He was crowned British super-middleweight champion in 1995 and captured his first world title, the WBC crown, in 1997 when he defeated Chris Eubank on points.

It was his unanimous points win over Danish fight Kessler at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff in November 2007 which he looks back on with most fondness, though.

He said: 'Unifying the super-middleweight division in front of 50,000 fans was a dream come true for me.

‘I was fighting a younger fighter than me, I was the underdog. A lot of people thought I was going to lose that fight. It was a great night.’

Calzaghe’s reputation as one of Britain’s greatest and best-loved sportsmen was sealed later that year when he was named BBC Sports Personality of the Year.

He was awarded a CBE in the New Year honours’ list weeks later, capping the MBE he received in 2003.

In 2008, he stepped up to light-heavyweight with real success, victories over greats Hopkins and Jones Jnr sealing his legacy as perhaps Britain’s greatest-ever fighter.

[quote=“HBV*”]if Dunne wins a world title there will be nowhere to hide.
we’ve seen how they hyped the European title, god help us all[/quote]

If Bernard Dunne steps into the ring with a remotely decent fighter, he’ll have no where to hide and have the shit hammered out of him to boot. You cant put muscles on a chin.

where the fuck is Kenny Egan?

He’s still at work. Mace 24 hour.

Big Martin Rogan is doing well here against Matt Skelton for the commonwealth hw title, I had 20euro on him the last day at 9/2 or 4s(not sure) against Audley Harrisson. He was 7/2 tonight but didn’t think he’d do it so stayed away, time will tell if I was wrong.

He’s having a stormer so far. Cracking fight this.

He’d be a great lad to have in Supermacs Eyre Square on a Saturday night

Some brawler isn’t he? He’s pure wrecked now. Should be up on rounds but lot of time left to walk into a big shot.

He seems to have a concrete head too, he needed it there in the last few mins of that round

If any of ye have Setanta tune in to Setanta2 tonight at 2am for Juan Marquez Vs Juan Diaz for the lightweight title. I reckon it could be fight of the year

Delighted for Rogan as he is a gent as well listen to him in the interview, fair play to him

Sound bloke alright. Quite the republican too.

Fucking some head on him. Some of the slow motion shots showed a couple of hits he took where his head shot backwards but he kept coming forward. Did really well to turn up the gas before the last round. Backed him at 4/7 after the 10th when Skelton came back into it.

Nice1 that 7/2 seems huge now, I genuinely didn’t think he’d beat Skelton who is a tough bastard too. Kind of sickened I didn’t stick the 20 I blew on a footie accum 2day on him instead. I have 5ew on Paul Casey at 40/1 in the World Matchplay though and he’s in the final 2mor so can’t complain I suppose. If he won it’d make a nice change though compared to the place.

I was looking at Rogan before the fight and I said if he was bigger than 2/1 I’d back him. Then I saw the odds and just chickened out anyway. To be honest I was only looking for an excuse to bet on him, I knew well he’d be well bigger than 2/1.

He’s a cracking fighter to watch though.

Some performance from Rogan, some fairytale story. Almost brought a tear to my eye, almost…

Some fight alright proper slugfest, rarely see that type of scrap at any weight these days.

“The Mexicutioner” :rolleyes:

Juan Muarquez vs Juan Diaz was indeed a cracker, for anyone who missed it catch the repeats tomorrow and during the week. Marquez kos him in the 9th after having a rough first 4rounds and then storming back. A proper slugfest in parts, excellent fight, my paddypower a/c lives to breathe another day at least, I stuck my last few euro on Marquez by ko at 4s right before the fight.

Any link to watch the replay of that fight? I don’t have Setanta 2 and didn’t bother going hunting for a webstream.

http://www.justin.tv/flashkenji

If u hurry its on now