Boxing Thread

You’ve little concept of price if thats what you define as ‘priceless’. You’d be a poor lad to put out front of the Hiace selling the left over tarmac.

[quote=“Thrawneen, post: 754575, member: 129”]Are you sure they weren’t serious? They’re awfully good actors if they weren’t. The Belfast boys were falling about the place laughing.

To keep a straight face while displaying such rage…a career treading the boards of the Abbey awaits, perhaps.
Knacktors, they could call them.[/quote]
Those boys haven’t got an ounce of irony in their bones.

According to the Belfast boxers on twitter the whole thing was a joke on both sides and now they’re being asked to take down the videos by boxing hierarchy who thought it was a feud in the making and bad for the image of boxing. It looks like mbb wasn’t the only one made a complete fool of by the Joyces acting skills. In fairness only for the little laugh at the end and the fact that the Belfast lads box for Ireland with John Joe Joyce and David Oliver Joyce it was an easy enough mistake to make. I wouldn’t have thought irony was those lads’ style either. Makes you wonder were any of the other infamous ‘call out’ videos tongue in cheek too. A role in Love/Hate could be in prospect.

Fucking hell, gola will believe anything. I figured the simpleton act was just that, an act, but it seems I have him far too much credit. He’ll swallow any auld cock a lad tosses out to him.

:rolleyes:

MBB all over the shop here.

I’d be with goal in this, the lads were having a laugh.

Jesus Barnes is tiny though.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 755289, member: 273”]I’d be with goal in this, the lads were having a laugh.

Jesus Barnes is tiny though.[/quote]

Sure it was confirmed to be a pisstake by Barnes, conlan and even David Oliver Joyce on twitter who they retweeted. If ya look at it again they are laughing at times and the acting isn’t actually great.

Barnes seems a decent skin who doesn’t take himself too seriously. hard to when you’re that size I suppose!

Great breakdown of Rigo-Donaire by Scott Quigg:

[SIZE=13px][FONT=Verdana]"This is a really interesting, proper 50-50 fight and you can make a strong case for either man winning.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=Verdana]They’re definitely the best two fighters in the division at present and I’ve studied both very closely to see what I can learn from them. I aspire to be as good as them and, eventually, to share a ring with them.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=Verdana]I’ve seen loads of Donaire’s fights and also study clips of his training on You Tube. He’s not only incredibly gifted but he also has a fantastic work ethic. He’s a real all rounder. The knockout over Jorge Arce in his last fight – a savage left hook - shows how fantastically talented he is. That was special. He’s obviously got chilling kayo power but he’s also got excellent speed and timing. I love the way he stays so loose and relaxed in the ring.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=Verdana]Nonito’s very exciting to watching, always looking to get his opponent out of there as quickly as possible. He’s probably got a better chin than Rigondeaux though, at this level, it doesn’t really matter how good your chin is. If these guys hit you clean, on the right spot, you’re getting knocked out![/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=Verdana]While I always enjoy watching his fights, Nonito does seem prone to lapses in concentration as a fight progresses, if he’s unable to get the opponent out of there early. He can become a bit bored, almost unconcerned about what’s coming back at him, which leads him to get tagged with sloppy counters. He can lose a bit of composure and discipline if his fight goes into the later rounds. He becomes less tight and less cute. He won’t be able to be complacent like that against Rigondeaux.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=Verdana]I didn’t see too much of Rigondeaux’s fantastic amateur career but I’ve seen most of his recent pro fights. I actually sparred six rounds with him at the Wild Card gym in Hollywood back in 2009. I was waiting to spar a Russian when Rigondeaux knocked his Mexican sparring partner clean out with probably the best left hand I’ve ever seen.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=Verdana]They just rolled the Mexican out the ring, then Freddie Roach asked if I’d fill in and complete Guillermo’s rounds for him. I’d only had maybe 14 pro fights and just 12 amateur. He’d had over almost 400 amateur bouts and was a double Olympic and double world champion![/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=Verdana]Thankfully, I was working with (trainer) Jesse Reid over in the US who used to coach Rigondeaux. Jesse steered me through, warned me to be mindful of his pet shot, a left screw to the body. That was the shot that wiped out Willie Casey inside a round. It had plenty of whip on it! Clearly Guillermo just uses sparring for getting his tools sharp, rather than having heavy wars and that’s the right way. But I wasn’t made to look a mug and it gave me a lot of confidence.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=Verdana]Rigondeaux was very clever, I learned so much. I used to sit at the Wild Card and watch him floating around on the pads or shadow boxing. Working inside, he’d nudge your knees to open your body up, make a gap. Then he’d capitalise. It really works and I’ve used that since a few times myself.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=Verdana]Rigondeaux’s basically a pot shotter. He can be very defensive and very negative. He really sticks to his game plan and does whatever is needed to win the fight without getting hit. That said, if you do tag him, he doesn’t like it. His eyes light up and he comes right back at you. You definitely can’t throw any lazy shots against him. He’ll make you pay for every mistake.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=Verdana]He’s not remotely bothered if the crowd are booing because there’s a lack of action. He just floats around the ring and avoids trouble but that’s something I really admire. He’s far less exciting but I enjoy studying him just as much as I enjoy watching Donaire. Some people say he’s a lazy fighter but it’s more that he just does everything so effortless. He’s a real master.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=Verdana]He likes to control the fight and have his opponent on the end of a chain, mesmerised. Too often, it appears that the opposition are passive, content to allow him to have his own way from a safe distance so that he doesn’t cut loose on them.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=Verdana]He’s a real winner. He wastes hardly anything. If he’s not absolutely sure that he’s going to land a shot, he’ll just walk away and make the opponent re-set. If he has a failing, it’s that he doesn’t let his hands go as much as he could.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=Verdana]You can’t pot shot with Rigondeaux. He’ll just play with you. For Nonito to beat him, he’s going to have to set a fast pace. That’s going to be difficult though because Rigondeaux is at his best when the opponent comes at him. Donaire prefers an opponent who will walk into him but Rigondeaux isn’t likely to do that.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=Verdana]Donaire is going to have to kid Rigondeaux into leading off by using loads of head movement and by subtly moving his feet six inches to either side. He needs to attack in bursts of threes and fours; throw a couple of decoys to put Rigondeaux off balance and unable to counter, then slip in his heavier shots before the Cuban can set. He has to keep Rigondeaux moving, re-adjusting, and he needs to be accurate. Whenever he misses, Rigondeaux will make him pay. Donaire has to be very wary of getting tagged as he moves in.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=Verdana]Rigondeaux’s key to victory is probably to make it a longer fight. That’s when Donaire might make mistakes. He needs to avoid rushing his counters, be patient and gradually establish his rhythm. As he gets more comfortable, he can start to let his hands go more in the later rounds and, if he does tag Nonito, he mustn’t be hesitant. He’s going to have to take his chances.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=Verdana]The winner is likely to be the one who establishes their game plan best, under the lights, on the night. Both will be under enormous pressure and will need to stay calm. Both have great qualities and both have vulnerabilities. It could really be any type of fight; short and explosive cos both can really whack, or a cagey, tactical affair. Either could win by points or knockout though Donaire is more likely to triumph by stoppage and Riogondeaux is more likely to win if it goes to the cards.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=Verdana]I expect it to begin cagily with Donaire forcing the fight. If he can remain cool, it should go in his favour but, if he’s reckless, Rigondeaux is capable of doing to him what Juan Manuel Marquez did to Manny Pacquiao in their fourth fight. He’s got the power, timing, accuracy and eye to score a spectacular knockout himself.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=Verdana]They could probably fight half a dozen times and win three each, they’re that closely matched. If you’re really pushing me, I’ll edge to Nonito only because Guillermo has shown he can be hurt almost every time he’s been hit clean and Donaire can really bang. But I’d certainly not want to be putting my house on it."[/FONT][/SIZE]

http://www.frankwarren.com/news/live-on-boxnation/2013/04/09/scott-quigg-previews-nonaire-rigondeaux-live-on-boxnation-this-sunday-morning.html#.UWRrlFXxxss.twitter

[quote=“Watch The Break, post: 753887, member: 260”]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-EKJFOAWhOJY/UVd7r6hWbqI/AAAAAAAAgVI/WN1zlEfCXUA/s1600/1.gif

Holy fuck this guy can punch.[/quote]

Macklin gets a shot at him on 29 June. He’ll hardly take him.

Fair play to Macklin, he’ll have a shot off anyone. He’ll get knocked out though.

Rigondeaux gave Donaire “a boxing lesson” last night in a unanimous points victory.

There’s hope for Willie Casey yet.

Golovkin is a monster, he’s all wrong for Macklin, an accurate, thunderous puncher with an A+ chin. Maybe Golovkin won’t look quite so good against a live 160lb opponent but I doubt it. If Macklin goes beyond 6 he’ll be doing well.

Rigo was amazing last night, everyone knew he was a great fighter but he looked like something really special last night. To take someone as dangerous as Donaire, a top 5 P4P fighter and completely dominate him in that fashion is the mark of a guy who could be an all time great.

What time is the Tyson Fury fight on tomorrow at?

Tomorrow??

I read an article on the Guardian. I thought they said it was Monday. I wasn’t paying too much attention though,

[quote=“Watch The Break, post: 759342, member: 260”]Golovkin is a monster, he’s all wrong for Macklin, an accurate, thunderous puncher with an A+ chin. Maybe Golovkin won’t look quite so good against a live 160lb opponent but I doubt it. If Macklin goes beyond 6 he’ll be doing well.

Rigo was amazing last night, everyone knew he was a great fighter but he looked like something really special last night. To take someone as dangerous as Donaire, a top 5 P4P fighter and completely dominate him in that fashion is the mark of a guy who could be an all time great.[/quote]

Shit fight though. He did what he needed to Di and was more or less untouchable, but brutal to watch.

I’d respectfully disagree. I thought the first six rounds in particular were electrifying. So much speed, power, and accuracy in play that you felt it could all end at any second. I honestly think Rigo is just sublime to watch, it’s just all so smooth and effortless with him and his balance is so good it’s almost surreal. Even when he’s momentarily knocked out of position, he just glides back into a comfortable stance in a perfect position in an instant.

That said, your view will no doubt be a popular one and the lack of ‘action’ will most likely prevent him ever becoming a mainstream star. It’s hard enough for guys in those weight classes to do it anyway, but for someone like Rigondeaux it’s pretty much impossible. As such he’ll never bring a whole lot of money to the table and will probably find his options are quite limited when it comes to potential opponents.

But I don’t know if there’s a 122lber in recent history that beats him last night. Maybe Pacquiao or Morales, maybe. JMM doesn’t beat him. Barrera doesn’t beat him. He beats Naz worse than Barrera did. He’s just an awesome fighter. Like I said before, a once in a lifetime kind of guy.

Bull shit. I appreciate a tactical fighter as much as any man. Rigondeaux hit gloves for more or less 6 rounds, had 2 decent punches.

I like tactical fights if the quality is 2 way. Stop trying to pass yourself off as a boxing expert and the rest of us can’t see the quality by trying to flower this fight up. He won comfortably IMO, against a top opponent, he is a class boxer, but it was a shit fight. Donaire also under performed and was tactically naive, thus one of the 2 fighters fought poorly.

On top of that I’m fuming I paid for this from main event, 4 of the fights shown finished in 1st-2nd round. The match maker and promoters should be shot. Disgraceful robbery of the people.

If you couldn’t appreciate that fight then you don’t like ‘tactical’ fights as much as you think you do. It was a sensational display.

I appreciate fights with more than 2 power punches a round than any tactical battle alright. There would be more contact in netball.