Boxing Thread

He was a prick but a fine boxer and showman in fairness to him. Had a bit of personality about him

always thought he fought chumps and looked better than he was because of it and then got found out badly when he went to america…was it barrerra who gave him a good hiding?..now he was a class boxer…his scraps with morales were fookin epic…

Too right. Avoided anyone decent. No surprise Il Bumber fell for the flash.

Barrera was one of the greats in fairness to him. Won titles at 3 or 4 different weights and had some classic fights.

Hamed was a good boxer and was box office at the time, when you compare him to some of the current headline acts in the UK he was far superior

He was outclassed against Barrera but it was one fight and Barrera is one of the best P4P in the last 20 years. I think if Ingle had been in his corner he would have fared a lot better that night, very disappointing he effectively retired after that fight as well.

wasn´t there a documentary done about the build up to that fight ?..prince naseem was more worried about the snooker table in his hotel room than the actual fight if i remember right…

Yip, went looking for it a few years ago and couldn’t find it. Think it was on channel 4. I remember him acting the bollocks over the gloves that would be worn in the match. Naz chose red ones and Barrera green ones, only for Naz to then change his mind and want to wear the green ones much to the annoyance of Barrera’s crew. Came across as very petty

It is on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL7JNQg5eU0

Yeah he was acting the cunt all right, his family were a shower of bastards as well.

Naz was immensely talented and a cut above anything in Europe. He let himself down training wise and was never a hard trainer and had nothing of the Conditioing of the Maericans or Mexicans. That was all he was missing to be an all time great. He was gifted ridiculous timing and a fair bit of power for his weight.

Just watch the docu there, Hameds career was over as soon as 9/11 happened. No way he could ever go back to fight in America after his big Muslim orientated ring entrance and speech before the fight, he would have been strung up.

Hamed could have been amazing but just hadn’t the discipline for the long haul.

I like Froch, a good fighter and has taken on all comers over the last few years in a competitive division.
I’d rate him higher than that chancer Calzaghe anyway.

[quote=“Piles Hussain, post: 775341, member: 363”]Hamed could have been amazing but just hadn’t the discipline for the long haul.

I like Froch, a good fighter and has taken on all comers over the last few years in a competitive division.
I’d rate him higher than that chancer Calzaghe anyway.[/quote]

Froch is a proper boxer, hard man who fights anyone and he has under rated skills.

Cal age was class though, I accept he could have expanded a bit, but he was a terrific fighter in any mans language. It’s quite notable the yanks wouldn’t go to Wales.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 775369, member: 273”]Froch is a proper boxer, hard man who fights anyone and he has under rated skills.

Cal age was class though, I accept he could have expanded a bit, but he was a terrific fighter in any mans language. It’s quite notable the yanks wouldn’t go to Wales.[/quote]

Yeah, because Wales is the zenith of the boxing world. :rolleyes:

A swing and a miss. Missing the point a mile, again.

You’re missing the point. Why would anyone go to Wales to fight, it would be retarded on an economic sense not to host that fight in America, did Lewis fight Tyson in Britain? Did Hatton fight Mayweather in Britain? Did Naz fight Barrera in Britain? No they didn’t, it would be a retarded decision to do so given how much more revenue is attainable in holding these fights in America. Calzaghe is one of the most protected fighters in the last 20 years. He only ventured over to America to fight an over-the-hill RJJ and to take on a past-his-best Hopkins.

I don’t like Froch, I think he is a very one-dimensional and a brutally slow fighter but you have to give him credit in that he will take any fight under any circumstances such is his will to prove himself. Calzaghe was a shit boxer too, a glorified pressure-slapper.

Look at his record - what fight stands out?

Beating an over-the-hill Jones?
Beating a past-his-prime Hopkins?
Beating a washed-up Chris Eubank?
Getting a points decision in what was a pretty close fight between himself and Kessler?
Jeff Lacy? Byron Mithcell? :smiley:

He was a fraud.

[quote=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 775394, member: 1052”]
He was a fraud.[/quote]
Says the Naseem Hamed fan :rolleyes:

Run along, retard.

Someone who questions any boxer for protecting their record and avoiding the real big hitters at their prime yet lauds Flyod Mayweather is hardly someone to be taking seriously in boxing lads.

The likes of RJJ and Mayweather are completely different to Calzaghe, they had no monetary incentive to take on riskier fights and they did have some acid tests on their career records. Calzaghe didn’t. Mayweather is a five weight world champion and RJJ is a four weight world champion. Calzaghe just knocked fought bums in the super-middleweight division, he wouldn’t go to America to prove himself when it really mattered.