Boxing Thread

[QUOTE=“Chucks Nwoko, post: 1137355, member: 2812”]Nigel Benn, 51. :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgTU-OmY-rk
[/QUOTE]

:clap:

see camelo alvarez knocked out some black lad in Texas last night
this guy could be the real deal, from watching TV in the hotel here ( im on international business) HBO are drumming him up as the next big mexican superstar in the Chavez, Morales, Barrera mould

Canelo vs Kirkland - http://uptostream.com/j55s43g9gp37

Rewatched Leonard Hagler back there

Scored the fight:

R1: 10-9
R2: 10:9
R3: 10-9
R4: 10-9
R5: 9-10
R6: 9-10
R7: 9-10
R8: 9-10
R9: 9-10
R10: 9-10
R11: 9-10
R12: 9-10

Hagler 116 - Leonard 112.

Hagler just bossed the fight after the fourth round, he landed the more powershots, he consistently backed Leonard in the ropes and went to work on him.

[QUOTE=“Nembo Kid, post: 1137410, member: 2514”]Rewatched Leonard Hagler back there

Scored the fight:

R1: 10-9
R2: 10:9
R3: 10-9
R4: 10-9
R5: 9-10
R6: 9-10
R7: 9-10
R8: 9-10
R9: 9-10
R10: 9-10
R11: 9-10
R12: 9-10

Hagler 116 - Leonard 112.

Hagler just bossed the fight after the fourth round, he landed the more powershots, he consistently backed Leonard in the ropes and went to work on him.[/QUOTE]I’d tend to agree with that

[QUOTE=“mickee321, post: 1137388, member: 367”]see camelo alvarez knocked out some black lad in Texas last night
this guy could be the real deal, from watching TV in the hotel here ( im on international business) HBO are drumming him up as the next big mexican superstar in the Chavez, Morales, Barrera mould[/QUOTE]
I may be wrong but is this the lad floyd schooled a couple years back? What weight was the fight at last night. I’d say he’s a level below those lads you’ve mentioned.

@ChocolateMice, Alvarez v Kirkland last night if you want to see a fight. This kid is unreal. One or two more fights here and he’ll move up and destroy Cotto. In the next few years we’re gonna see him fight Golovkin. It’s gonna be everything last week’s fight wasn’t.

That’s him, super welter. Clever of Mayweather to fight him when he did, the kid is incredibly young and is getting better and better.

[QUOTE=“glasagusban, post: 1137512, member: 1533”]@ChocolateMice, Alvarez v Kirkland last night if you want to see a fight. This kid is unreal. One or two more fights here and he’ll move up and destroy Cotto. In the next few years we’re gonna see him fight Golovkin. It’s gonna be everything last week’s fight wasn’t.

That’s him, super welter. Clever of Mayweather to fight him when he did, the kid is incredibly young and is getting better and better.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

Alvarez is a good boxer, probably about a similar level to Cotto.

Alvarez is a good boxer, probably about a similar level to Cotto.[/QUOTE]
We’ll agree to disagree as ever. He’ll ate Cotto if GGG doesn’t first.

Out of interest, is Golovkin exceptional or is he about a similar and “a good boxer” too? Who else out there do you like?

[QUOTE=“glasagusban, post: 1137523, member: 1533”]We’ll agree to disagree as ever. He’ll ate Cotto if GGG doesn’t first.

Out of interest, is Golovkin exceptional or is he about a similar and “a good boxer” too? Who else out there do you like?[/QUOTE]

Golovkin has cleaned out the middleweight division, nobody has even came close to challenging to him - I don’t think the middleweight division is that special at the moment and I think the natural progression would be for Golovkin to move up to light heavy and Andre Ward and he doesn’t win that fight for me.

Alvarez has had a very steady rise at the minute, I don’t think he has done an awful lot yet but he still has plenty of time. I certainly don’t think he’ll destroy Cotto and I don’t think he has improved significantly since he was comprehensively beaten by Mayweather.

@Nembo Kid How do you rate Karl froch, as a matter of interest?

Jesus let’s not start this again…

My views on Froch would be well documented here. As a boxer, he was very limited, he was a bit of a plodder and his technical level was very average - however he has/had one of the greatest chins in the history of the sport, he was extremely heavy handed, he had great heart and he had great inner belief in turning fights his own way. Despite being limited he has had a fantastic career.

Well it sounds like he has retired, wisely I’d say, but I’d be interested in @Nembo Kid 's opinion as he is clearly knowledgeable about boxing, and I’m not.
I liked froch always as he seems a decent man, but wonder how he ranked in the general pantheon.

[QUOTE=“flattythehurdler, post: 1137546, member: 1170”]Well it sounds like he has retired, wisely I’d say, but I’d be interested in @Nembo Kid 's opinion as he is clearly knowledgeable about boxing, and I’m not.
I liked froch always as he seems a decent man, but wonder how he ranked in the general pantheon.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, crossed post.
Thanks @Nembo Kid A man , then, who made the utmost if his ability. You can’t do more than that.

[QUOTE=“flattythehurdler, post: 1137548, member: 1170”]Sorry, crossed post.
Thanks @Nembo Kid A man , then, who made the utmost if his ability. You can’t do more than that.[/QUOTE]

Without doubt, he was able to turn fights he was being outboxed in and the way we would mentally and physically wear his opponents down was enthralling. Think he’s a dickhead myself but he’s had an excellent career.

http://i.giflike.com/8qkqcBa.gif

Knockout of the year

Ouch.

Kirkland was done at that point. Canelo really looks the business against pressure fighters.

GGG vs Canelo would be spectacular.