Boxing Thread

The Ring Magazine is the bible for boxing. Its ratings are taken as definitive in all boxing circles and there pound for pound rating is one of the most coveted in the world.

Of the top 10 pound for pound boxers in the world as of today, 3 from Bernard Dunnes weight division are ranked, making it the most competitive division in boxing.

Isreal Vasquez who is being touted as Dunnes next opponent, is the top boxer in the division and is rated at #4 in pound for pound rankings. Rafael Marquez is a #6 in the pound for pound (both rated higher than Ricky Hatton), while another Panamanian Cabellero is the top man in the WBA and is at #8 in the pound for pound.

There are another few lads in the division that are highly rated aswell, Steve Molitor, Daniel Ponce De Leon being two that I have heard of.

So to deride the value of Dunnes win, due to the sponsor is a joke. He has won a world title in the most competitive division in boxing. His rating now of 7th in the division is about right. I reckon he would do well to avoid any of the big guns for a while though as he is not in Vasquez or Marques’ league yet.

There is a japanese lad that has the IBF belt and he might be a handy one for him.

(Also Farmer, largo foods who own the Hunky Dory brand are a very big company, they also own the Tayto and King brands.)

The Ring

McCullough challenges Dunne to all-Irish bout

Wayne McCullough has issued an open letter to Bernard Dunne proposing a fight with the newly-crowned WBA super-bantamweight champion.

The 38-year-old former WBC champ has had just one fight in almost four years, and was due to return to action in New York earlier this month before the bill was called off.

McCullough says he has had dozens of emails from fans saying a clash with Dunne would be “the biggest event in Irish history”.

Dunne won his WBA title by knocking out Panamanian Ricardo Cordoba in a hard-fought contest last Saturday at the 02 in Dublin.

Wayne McCullough seriously needs to retire.

Anybody watch Prizefighter? It’s the show that catapulted Martin Rogan into the limelight after he won the heavyweight tournament last year.

I was watching a bit of the lightweight tournament on Sky Sports last night and there was a few decent bouts.

Fucking hell Wayne, retire will you? Its getting embarrassing at this point.

One too many boxes to the head methinks

is it true his wife likes to spend it?

Have no idea, but he had a cyst on his brain a while back didn’t he? He had to trawl around to find someone to licence him to box and he’s still looking to fight…

Peter Manfredo returned to winning ways against Walid Smichet in Montreal - then wasted no time in calling out John Duddy.

The American recorded a seventh-round stoppage of the Tunisian in his first bout since failing in his bid to claim the vacant IBO super-middleweight title.

The 28-year-old lasted less than three rounds last November when he was stopped by Sakio Bika in a battle between two former Joe Calzaghe opponents.

However, he returned to winning ways by dispatching Smichet to stretch his professional record to 32-6 in a fight made at 166lb.

Confidence builder
“It was a nice win and good confidence builder,” he said. "I hurt him in the third and after that I knew I could hurt him anytime.

"He was tough, though, and came back fighting. I hurt him again in the sixth and knew that it was only a matter of time.

“I was bigger, stronger and better than him and proved it today, not only to the fans, but to myself. I’m a top-level performer who only had three weeks to get ready for this fight.”

Manfredo now sees his long-term future down at middleweight - leading him to target Duddy as his next opponent.

‘The Pride Of Providence’ intends to be at ringside in Newark on Friday night to see the Irishman take on Billy Lyell.

“I’m coming down to middleweight and I want Duddy,” Manfredo, who lost to Calzaghe back in 2007, added.

Duddy has yet to taste defeat in his 26-fight career and is hoping a victory over Lyell will boost his hopes of a showdown with Kelly Pavlik.

Peter Manfredo is an average fighter at best. He was on the first season of The Contender(a reality TV boxing program with the bauld Rocky aka Sylvie Stallone himself).
Joe Calzaghe beat the snot outa him before and Duddy would do the same if they meet. Even though Duddy himself is only average too but still too much for Manfredo.

[quote=“balloobasluvsbeer”]Peter Manfredo is an average fighter at best. He was on the first season of The Contender(a reality TV boxing program with the bauld Rocky aka Sylvie Stallone himself).
Joe Calzaghe beat the snot outa him before and Duddy would do the same if they meet. Even though Duddy himself is only average too but still too much for Manfredo.[/QUOTE]

cant see duddy fightin manfredo he would have nothin to gain and everything to lose,his people are hopin for another fight or two then a shot at pavlik in the late autumn pavlik wants it to as he doesnt rate duddy but knows it would be a big payday for both of them

Pac-man v the Hitman next weekend…Presume Pacquiao will be the hot favourite…Can’t see hatton beating him myself…

Massey, as our American based boxing reporter, what do the yanks think of Hatton?

[quote=“The Puke”]Pac-man v the Hitman next weekend…Presume Pacquiao will be the hot favourite…Can’t see hatton beating him myself…

Massey, as our American based boxing reporter, what do the yanks think of Hatton?[/QUOTE]

most yanks dont know much about him those that do see him more as a brawler than a boxer,freddie roach says pac will take him in 3 rounds and he normally doesnt bullshit seen 24/7 last week and he was dropin his sparin partners,think pac will take him but i see it goin 7 or 8 rds,the odds in vegas are pacquiao-$250 and hatton+$200,on another note was at duddys fight in jersey last nite and he got his ass handed to him by a guy ranked 124? in the world trained by jack lowe who is also pavliks trainer the irony being that hes actually done himself and pavlik out of a big payday against duddy by beating him last night,duddys finished

Never thought Duddy was up to much myself…

well its back to being a lifeguard or bouncer or whatever now

Duddy is brutal, every performance he gets worse and worse, I could see Andy Lee destroying him let alone Kelly Pavilik. Cannot see Duddy getting a title fight under any circumstances now but I suppose if it’d make enough money for the champ you’d never know what might happen.
Just after watching an amazing fight between Carl Froch(defending his Super Middleweight belt) and Jermaine Taylor.
Froch was flattened in the 3rd round for the first time in his career. He was behind in most peoples opinions including mine going into the final round and he managed to TKO Taylor with seconds left.
An amazing fight, from the sheer excitement factor alone. Fair play to Froch, he took his first defence away from home and against a step up in class to his previous opponents. Taylor was the challenger yet wouldn’t travel to England to fight him so that says it all really.
You could tell Froch let the occasion get to him at the start. He looked really nervous and I’d say the fact he never experienced such a hostile crowd against him didn’t help matters either. He’s a hardy bastard though, fair fooks to him he refused to give up and eventually got his reward. He broke Taylors heart in much the same way Pavilik did in their first fight.

Have been watching 24/7 over the past few days in the build up to the fight this weekend…Fuck me that Pacquiao has some speed of hands when you see him spar…Can’t see Hatton beating him…

seen him flatining a lad there with a body shot roach says that lad normally spars with hatton and he normally has trouble with him wonder what hatton makes of it,mexicutioner abu

whatever about the pacman floyd mayweather senior is in serious shape for a 57 year old…fcukin speed of his hands…if only he’d shut the fcuk up for a sec and stop thrash talkin…

he has a face like fukin rubber,trash takin is his way of givin hatton a bit of confidence,those paintings werent bad either

Presume you can get the Hatton v Pacman fight on UPC. Anyone know how much it is?