Boxing Thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmU4hCqCLZE

1 Like

Didn’t canelo start out around 147

Most Mexicans turn pro when they’re 16 or 17 so probably.

I didn’t think canelo was that big but I haven’t seen him box in years

Jason Quigley won tonight by unanimous decision, that’s 11.0, great result, great progress for the Donegal bhoy.

1 Like

Nice win alright. De la Rosa was a step up.

Quigley’s doing it very well. Learning the trade old school, solid progress.

Was at Gael Force v Khan in 2008… C’mon Fingal!

1 Like

Here we go.

Haven’t had a bet, I like Canelo and Khan, always enjoy watching Khan, always exciting.

If I’m up for the brit that doesn’t mean I’m with the ELG, he’s a Muslim anyway so I think I’m covered…

1 Like

Fucking hell…

Wow…

Canelo is an alright sort. Fuck me. I’ve never seen anything like that.

Like what? A middleweight knocking out a glass chinned welterweight?

Some sickening posturing with GGG as well. Cunts haven’t a notion of fighting him.

When the bout ended, Alvarez ran to ringside and invited WBA-IBF champion Gennady Golovkin into the ring. The public has been hoping to see that showdown, but Yahoo Sports has learned that Golden Boy has reached an agreement with Roc Nation Sports, Cotto’s promoter, they had about the pay split over the November bout with Alvarez.

It is not finalized, but Golden Boy and Roc Nation are moving toward a rematch later this year. That leaves Golovkin on the outside again. WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman said the winner would have to fight Golovkin next or be stripped, but the belt is a small trinket compared to the prize of a mega-fight.

Still, Alvarez acted interested in meeting Golovkin.

“I invited him into the ring,” Alvarez said. “Like we say in Mexico, ‘We don’t [expletive] around.’ I don’t fear anyone. We don’t come to play in this sport [and] I fear no one in this sport.”
Asked if he would fight Golovkin later this year, Alvarez said, “Right now, I will put on the gloves again.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/canelo-alvarez-knocks-out-amir-khan-in-sixth-round-040610078.html

Not that, rare to see a boxer get on his knees to see if his opponent is ok after knocking him out.

How even was the fight before the knock out, chaps?

Khan was ahead on the cards, without looking like he could really hurt Canelo

Canelo was completely in charge though. It was the usual Khan fight. His handspeed is a problem for the first two rounds. Then the opponent gets his timing down and it goes downhill from there. Just like the Danny Garcia fight. Khan has handspeed and nothing else. Every high level boxer-puncher he’ll ever face will knock him out. Regardless of the weight class.

Amazing that he hasn’t beaten a top 5 opponent in any division since 2010, and people still talk about him being in big fights. The power of hype in boxing.

1 Like

To be fair to him though, he’ll fight anyone. They normally beat the shit out of him but you have to admire his bravery/stupidity.

Will bravery & money be any good to him in 5 years when he can’t even smell his own name ?

What does your name smell like?

Think about it, pal.