Boxing Thread

Watched it in a mexican bar, JCC was by far the more popular fighter, not much love for the ginger one.

Just rewatched it there. Complete mismatch in terms of skill. Chavez, aside from his chin, is not at this level at all.

GGG vs Canelo will be interesting. GGG looked very easy to hit in the Kell Brook fight, so I wouldn’t rule Canelo out just yet

I will trump for Canelo.

Canelo has had tougher sparring sessions than last night. Complete mismatch and non event

Interested to hear your analysis. GGG has rarely been hurt. If Canelo couldn’t knock out Chavez last sat then he won’t hurt Golovkin and it’s hard not to see Golovkin seriously hurting Canelo at some stage.

Golovkin has a lot to prove. He’s never been in with as polished and rounded a boxer as Caneo. He’s only been 12 rounds once and gone to the scorecards. He has stayed in his comfort zone fighting against lads at his weight or smaller, he has ducked Andre Ward for years. For me, Golovkin has a lot to prove and I think Canelo is capable of outboxing him and taking it on the scorecards.

I’m very excited about it, hopefully BT have it and it’s not PPV.

Has GGG made a few quid by now?
Iirc he wasn’t making much decent money for a good while as he couldn’t get a big fight.

How has he ducked Ward? Did Ward express an interest in fighting him? Presumably it will be on Boxnation.

Yes. Ward has been calling him out for ages but Golovkin has refused to move up. Ward eventually moved up himself.

Disagree. Golovkin has cleaned out the middleweight division. He is a career middleweight and not a paticularly big one at that. Ward has been a career super middle, and only eventually moved up to light heavy after Kovalev’s repeated call outs. Ward was accused of ducking Kovalev for a long time also until that finally materialized. He also used Canelo’s tactics of weight draining to drag Chad Dawson down to 168 (a career lh) who was duly a corpse during their fight. AW is a fine fine fighter but to draw comparisons to GGG and the Canelo situation is disingenuos at best. Canelo has been holding the MW title hostage since beating Cotto, fighting catchweights and absolutely ducking GGG during that timeframe. GGG fights all comers at 160, Canelo to this point hasn’t and it is he who has it all to prove, not Golovkin.

4 Likes

Whereas Golovkin just avoids moving up in weight all the time after clearing out his weight division a long time ago.

I could see this being on Sky box-office. It’s a huge fight and boxing hasn’t been as popular in the U.K. for a long time

Why should he move up? He’s a smallish to regular sized middleweight. Could probably make 154. He’s the reigning unbeaten consensus mw no.1. Marvin Hagler was mw champ for years and was lauded for being nigh on unbeatable at 160, no need to move up if you’re taking on and beating all comers.

8 Likes

Because as you have said, he cleared out all comers comfortably for years. Why didn’t he challenge himself?

I think the main reason Golovkin didn’t move up was that, until the last year or so, he was still clinging to the hope that Mayweather would come calling. Going up to 168 would have killed any chance of that.

Hagler had exactly the same scenario. No point moving up when the likes of Leonard and Hearns are just below his division.

Will you answer my question. Is GGG set for life financially, or does he still need superfights?

I’d imagine he is fairly well financially secure. Ward would have been a superfight in any case.

I know, I suspect he’ll take it, but if he needs big money it would be sensible to take all he can at his weight first.

Why didn’t Mayweather move up and fight Golovkin? Too pussy?

Mayweather is a belt holder at six different weight classes. He has already blown himself up enough and is currently retired.

Golovkin is the king of the middleweight division and he has cleaned it out, yet he has consistently ducked Ward. Why can’t the Golovkin fan boys be honest and admit that? Ward was the unified super middleweight champion. Golovkin is a great boxer but he is scared to move up and prove himself. That accusation can’t be labelled at Mayweather, he went up the weight classes and fought the best. He has taken risky fights like De La Hoya in his career and has belts at 6 different weight classes to prove that. What’s Golovkin’s excuse? When is he going to come out of his comfort zone and test himself?