Boxing Thread

Wtf happened Duddy? Knew his old man Mickey Duddy in Derry handy Irish international in his day

As I recall he took an awful beating off Chavez Junior back when Chavez was good, took a near-record number of power punches without going down, quit the fight game and is now a fairly successful actor.

2 Likes

Did you see the Cipoletta fight? Poor spectacle, Cipoletta just running away every round but bad offence from Conlan, needed more combinations and power but never really looked like showing them. After the stoppage Cipoletta gets down in the ring and starts doing push-ups to show he’s not hurt.

There’s a couple of good John Duddy podcasts about on an Irishman Abroad - he is on the acting circuit in the states these days

1 Like

Thanks,pity he looked good for a while ( his uncle another Duddy was shot on bloody Sunday

Thank you must investigate,his da had high hopes of him making it in the states,some good boxers in the family

Poor oul Paddy Barnes here in a program on the Irish language in Belfast on BBC 2 studying to get the Silver Fainne. Just had the test there.

And he gets the Fainne.

My gripe is more about the pathetic coverage she gets on our national broadcaster and main media outlets. That lack of coverage is based on her as a person and her religious beliefs. As I said, if she was a transgender lesbian she would be paraded all over the place.

Conlon will be no world champion, at least not one of the major belts anyway. I really hope he does become one but alas I don’t think he has the power necessary. His fuck acting the other night will get his wings clipped for him against better opposition despite his good footwork. The camera work was atrocious.

She gets the coverage that reflects the interest in her sport .

She gets a lot less coverage than the fucking cricket team who recently played Afghanistan. Sickening to see anyone attempt to justify this carry on.

1 Like

I disagree . She gets more coverage than the Irish cricket team . To be honest I have seen a couple of her pro fights and they were boring enough . The standard of opponent is awful . The amateurs were catching up with her but the pro game isn’t strong and the fights are a bit depressing .

The Katie Taylor documentary on Netflix is fucking class. Like you’re saying I wasn’t 100% sure about her personality before but now I fucking love her. She seems a lovely person. Handspeed is elite level. If Katie Taylor had been born a man… she’d have been one of the greats. I would go as far as to say that I now think that Katie Taylor might even be straight.

You’re sort of right, she should be one of Ireland’s greatest ever feminist icons but isn’t quite. Part of the reason is her faith bit also partly just because women don’t like boxing very much. I’d guarantee you her fight viewership is overwhelmingly male. I think I complained before about feminists complaining about the lack of focus on women’s sports, women athletes not being paid equal etc, and then they never bother watching women sports themselves. The feminists love the Ireland mens rugby team though, funny that.

1 Like

Conlan has looked quite poor for a few fights now. He obviously has some attributes.

To say something very unpatriotic I thought it was very close between him and the Russian at the Olympic games. The Russian won at least one round for sure and pushed close the other 2. People were acting like Conlan dominated him.

1 Like

Young Quigley won by a 2nd round TKO earlier

That’s one to drive the feminazis mad. But you’re right, nobody gives a fuck about women’s boxing. A lot of the praise she gets it’s just a little pat on the head, I cringe at it at the best of times.

As I said if some tranny was a world champion the feminist be all over it. So brave, great for the lbgt and equality and he be beating the shit out of women. You just can’t win.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t dispute any of that to be fair.

I must watch the Netflix thing on her.

Conlon does have attributes but I think that he thinks he is better than he is. That will help you in the ring but his style the other night was awful. A decent fighter would have pegged him for sure. I’d love to see him do well, but don’t think he will do much. At least Duddy had a half decent chin, I don’t know about Conlons.

Conlon def has the makings of a top boxer. And has an amazing chin. He is with the right crowd. Give him two years.

1 Like

The kinahans?

1 Like

Absolutely nothing to do with pro boxing.