Boxing Thread

eliminator for what world title?whos up next for him so?

sorry my brain turned to mush there, mitchell boxed out of his skin and beat prescott, not the other way which I stated earlier…not certain but I think it was WBO aswell, there were talks that if Prescott had won then a rematch with Khan would be on the cards, would probably have suited Khan as he would beat him this time round and could have skipped a defense against a potentially better opponent

Vitali Klitchko V Kevin Johnson is on sky sports 2 at 8…will probably be one sided and shite but I might take a look

Klitchko won it easily on points, pretty unremarkable stuff

from rte.ie

WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko has reached a preliminary agreement to fight Britain’s WBA champion David Haye, the Ukrainian was quoted as saying on Tuesday.

Klitschko easily retained his WBC world heavyweight title on Saturday, winning a unanimous points decision against American challenger Kevin Johnson.

Haye won the WBA belt from Russian Nikolai Valuev in November and must next fight the WBA’s mandatory American challenger John Ruiz before any fight with Klitschko.

Media have widely reported the Ruiz fight could be in March or April.

‘In the near future I plan to fight Haye and take the title,’ Ukrainian daily Fakty quoted Klitschko as saying.

‘The preliminary agreement has already been reached.’

Haye said last month he was hoping for a ‘mega-showdown’ with the Ukrainian.

Klitschko’s younger brother Vladimir holds the WBO, IBO and IBF heavyweight belts

lookin like pacman is about to fight for his 8th world title at light middle against yuri foreman if mayweather doesnt grow a pair soon and quit his bitchin,so the reports over here are sayin,pretty good chance hell win as foreman wouldnt knock snow off a rope

:eek: Pacman is the one who is clearly shitting himself at the prospect of fighting one of the greatest boxers of all time, he’s the one refusing to be tested not Mayweather!

bollix,ye havent a clue what your on about,tested for what exactly?wide nose mayweather sr comes out after pacquaio demolished hatton who he trained and the only way he could explain how his man got hammered was that “somethin aint right”,now junior is using this as an excuse not to fight,pacquaio proably take him in about 6 rds and he knows it

[quote=“massey ferguson”]bollix,ye havent a clue what your on about,tested for what exactly?wide nose mayweather sr comes out after pacquaio demolished hatton who he trained and the only way he could explain how his man got hammered was that “somethin aint right”,now junior is using this as an excuse not to fight,pacquaio proably take him in about 6 rds and he knows it[/quote]Pacman is the reason the fight stalled refusing to be tested,you cannot defend that.And IMO if they did fight Mayweather would have too much all around for him.

hes been tested dozens a times by the same people that test mayweather and passed every one,mayweather comes out with a bullshit statement and everyone takes it as gospel,imagine tipp comin out last year and sayin they wouldnt play killkenny cause somethin didnt seem right that they were too good that you cant beat everyone the way they do and be clean,like i said bullshit,might be all publisity, though mayweather needs the money pacquaio doesnt

so im getting that u dont really know whats goin on small toes,get back to me when you get your head out of your rectum

[quote=“massey ferguson”]so im getting that u dont really know whats goin on small toes,get back to me when you get your head out of your rectum[/quote]:rolleyes: You must be a complete tool if you dont’t understand the situation,let me be clear on this,Mayweather wants to fight but given the super-fight that this would be is right to demand a blood test for both fighters to ensure their is a fair winner,Pacman by refusing this is stopping the fight from happening.It may not be Pacman ducking out but it’s his fault the bout has been scrapped.

BTW the fact that you think Mayweather needs the money more than Pacman is very amusing,he’s not called the money man for nothing.

That type of blood testing is unprecedented in boxing, Floyd is running scared…This was posted over on PV, gives a decent isight into it

Drug row testing the limits of our credulity

AMERICA AT LARGE: There are strong suspicions that Floyd Mayweathers demand that Manny Pacquiao pass a blood test is just a ruse to avoid getting himself beat up, writes GEORGE KIMBALL

I GUESS the first question you might ask yourself is this: would you die unfulfilled if Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather never did fight each other? Didnt think so.

In fact, in the midst of the charges and countercharges flung about over the past couple of weeks, the one constant has been the assertion from both sides that the failure of the March 13th megafight to come off would somehow lead to the ruination of boxing.

Or, as Mayweather has put it, When I leave, the sport is dead. (When Floyd leaves, who could tell? I mean, the guy has had five fights in five years.)

The coffers of the respective promoters, on the other hand, would each be enriched by upwards of 8 million, which does make you wonder why Top Ranks Bob Arum and Golden Boys Richard Schaefer have so enthusiastically carried the water for their pugilists in a very public war of words seemingly designed to torpedo its chances of coming off at all.

Unless that was the goal all along.

Say youre Mayweather and youve spent the past few years watching Pacquiao absolutely pulverise guys like Oscar De La Hoya and Ricky Hatton and Miguel Cotto. If youve absolutely no interest in having the same thing happen to you, but youd also like to keep your options open, wouldnt it be clever to say, Manny Pacquiao? I cant wait to fight him!

At the same time, cloaking that proposal in conditions that are bound to be so humiliatingly insulting that their acceptance would create the widespread impression that Manny is Floyds bitch would pretty much guarantee that he didnt have to get in the ring with Pacquiao.

This would be an even cleverer tactic if you could insulate yourself by persuading a third party say, one who speaks with a Teutonic accent to deliver the ultimatum.

And as Arum noted this week, who made Mayweather the commissioner of boxing, anyway?

Am I saying here that Pacquiao is squeaky-clean and has never used performance-enhancing drugs? I dont know that to be a fact, but I do know he has been repeatedly tested over the course of his 55-fight career and has never come up positive for anything. And that presumably includes yesterday morning, when he got up and peed in a bottle in General Santos City in response to a demand for immediate, out-of-competition urine tests ordered by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC).

(And in the midst of all this posturing, wasnt the NSAC doing a bit of that themselves? Since Pacquiao-Mayweather not only has not been signed, but has no official venue, by leaping into the fray at that particular moment was the Nevada commission trying to eradicate the Cowboys Stadium option by creating the impression that Las Vegas was now fait accompli?)

Heres something I do know for a fact: unlike Pacquiao, Shane Mosley does have a history of Peds (performance-enhancing drugs). When he tested positive for steroids, Sugar Shane claimed he used the Balco designer drugs the cream and the clear unknowingly. Right. And the dog ate my homework.

Less than two years ago, at a New York press conference announcing a fight between Zab Judah and Mosley, Judah and his attorney, Michael Shinefield, told me of their intent formally to request both boxers agree to blood tests administered by the World Anti-Doping Agency.

Its an expensive test, but were willing to pay for it, said Shinefield, who noted that Nevada testing procedures were limited to urinalysis.

Heres what Richard Schaefer had to say that day: Whatever tests (the NSAC) wants them to take, we will submit to, but we are not going to do other tests than the Nevada commission requires. The fact is, Shane is not a cheater and he does not need to be treated like one.

Thats the same Richard Schaefer who less than two weeks ago insisted that Pacquiao agree to Olympic-type, random blood testing as a precondition to a Mayweather fight.

Then, just a couple of days ago, Schaefer blamed the media for the widespread confusion over the issue, noting that many sportswriters dont know the difference between blood and urine testing.

It might be a sad commentary on the age in which we live, but, as a class, sportswriters probably know more about drug-testing procedures than any other group you could name including, and maybe even particularly, athletes themselves.

For the record, Pacquiao did not reject blood testing out of hand. He agreed to have blood drawn at the press conference announcing a Mayweather fight, another one 30 days beforehand and a third in his dressing-room immediately following the bout but not to unannounced tests he claimed might weaken him at a critical stage of his training regimen.
If that timetable doesnt sound especially random to you, youre right. Nor did Pacquiaos other explanations: that he is phobic about needles (this from a guy who is a walking billboard for Filipino tattoo parlours) or that he just doesnt like to have blood drawn. (Who does? asked Mayweather.)

Golden Boy cast further doubt on Pacquiaos stance when it leaked to some of its favoured media lackeys that HBOs 24/7 series showed Manny having blood drawn less than two weeks before last Mays fight against Hatton. Turns out the 24/7 episode had been taped several weeks earlier.

So who is telling the truth here? Nobody although Arums supposition that Mayweather never did want the fight should not be lightly dismissed. Both sides now say that Pacquiao- Mayweather will either be signed by this morning or dead altogether, and Arum has already provisionally lined up Paulie Malignaggi as a March 13th Pacquiao opponent should it go up in smoke.

And should they reach a last-minute accord? Well, the rule of thumb in the boxing business is that it takes at least three months to properly promote a pay-per-view event of this magnitude.

That the parties are well inside that limit already would be of scant consequence.

Havent they already had your undivided attention for the past two weeks?

he calls himself the moneyman ejit the main reason he took the marquez fight was to pay back 5Million to the IRS,like i say it could all be a publicity stunt but its gettin nasty between them now,pacquaio would still take him in 6

[quote=“massey ferguson”]he calls himself the moneyman ejit the main reason he took the marquez fight was to pay back 5Million to the IRS,like i say it could all be a publicity stunt but its gettin nasty between them now,pacquaio would still take him in 6[/quote]No,no he would not.

from rte.ie

Macklin teams up with trainer Roach
Tuesday, 26 January 2010 17:30
European middleweight champion Matthew Macklin will team up with revered American trainer Freddie Roach as he steps up his bid to win a world title.

The Birmingham-born Irish boxer enjoyed the best year of his career in 2009 as he finally won the British and European titles after joining Manchester trainer Joe Gallagher’s stable.

However, the 27-year-old - who will have Roach in his corner when he makes the first defence of his European belt against Dmitry Pirog in Birmingham in April - insists the chance to move to the American’s Wild Card Gym and train alongside the likes of Manny Pacquiao and Amir Khan in Los Angeles was too good to turn down.

Macklin, who had brief temporary stints at Roach’s gym early in his career, told Press Association Sport: 'I’ve won the British and European title, I’m knocking on the door for a world title and it’s a realistic thing now.

‘It’s no bad reflection on Joe Gallagher because he’s done a great job and I had the best year of my life with him last year but I just want to make sure no stone is left unturned. There is no comparison to the sparring in Freddie’s gym anywhere else in the world.’

Roach said: 'I like Matt, he’s a good kid with a lot of ability and plenty of ambition.

‘I’ve had some good times working with Irish fighters like Steve Collins, Bernard Dunne and Wayne McCullough in the past so hopefully I can have some success with Matt too.’

Macklin expects to defend his European belt twice - against Pirog and then either former conqueror Jamie Moore or Londoner Darren Barker - before fulfilling his dream of challenging for a world crown.

Opportunities to fight for a major title are proving difficult but Macklin remains hopeful of a shot a the top man in the division, WBC and WBO champion Kelly Pavlik.

'Sebastian Sylvester, the IBF champion, just basically doesn’t want the fight and nor do his people. I’m not number one contender with the IBF so it’s not looking likely. Felix Sturm (WBA champion) is tied up in a legal battle.

'So the most likely one is Kelly Pavlik, which is the one I want anyway. When I come through the Pirog fight and maybe another one, I’m basically the biggest fight out there for him anyway within the middleweight division.

Freddie Roach gave an excellent interview on Off The Ball there on Tuesday. I caught the repeat after work Wednesday morning. It’s downloadable from newstalk here but you have to go to the bother of registering to get it.
Well worth a listen to, I never realised the man suffered from Parkinsons at all, you’d never think it except his speech can be slurred slightly on occasions.
http://www.newstalk.ie/downloads/freddie-roach/

he has parkinsons but reckons when gets in the ring doin the pads and stuff it goes away,said the same thing about ali when he landed into his gym one day to train that when he put on his mitts to do the speed bag and spar with his daughter all the shakin left him something to do with muscle memory,duddy won an easy one sat nite last hes supposed to be on pacquaio undercard in texas in march,balloubas any truth that james toney is goin to fight in the UFC i hear dana white? made him an offer

Apparently he badgered White for months to allow him fight, White offered him a contract and Toney laughed at it. Toney was probably expecting a million dollars per fight, White doesn’t pay that to anyone least of all a past his prime boxer who never competed in an MMA fight before. The amount of money involved never became public but the two have been slating each other on and off in the press a few times since.