Boxing Thread

Get in there. DeGale is a star. Might save my betting weekend yet. Will still be down, but that was the dodgy one for my boxing treble, him winning TKO/KO as Smith is a hard cunt.

Very impressed with degale there - he didnt lose a round in my book and ref was spot on to stop it when he did.

He’s still a cunt though

Stop doing trebles and accums.

My singles went down the swanny as well dunph. I spread it thin throughout the sports. I enjoy them, great buzz when you get down to the last game or whatever. I’ve won enough to keep me interested.

Heard Khan took a bit of punishment late on last night but still won on points…Anyone watch it, did it remove a bit of the doubt about him having a glass chin

Didn’t see him last night but agree with lads about Degale looks an excellent fighter anytime i have seen him

that means ypu have a compulsion

Is the Khan fight worth downloading, I heard he took a few haymakers and didn’t go down?

of the few reports i read today it was one of the fights of the year

Sound, I’ll download it later. Watching last nights UFC at the minute and my main bet has just gone up in smoke.

Willie Casey will fight for a world title next March after a deal was reached with WBA intrim world champion Guillermo Rigondeaux.

Casey had been due to fight Kiko Martinez in the first defence of his EBU title but the Limerick man will vacate that belt in the quest for world glory.

The bout is likely to take place in the CityWest convention centre, with a capcity of around 7,000.

Casey’s journey to a world title shot is all the more spectacular having just fought 11 professional fights, the latest of which was seeing off Paul Hyland for the European belt in Limerick.

Rigondeaux holds the world title, the same belt captured by Bernard Dunne in Dublin’s O2 last year, after beating Ricardo Cordoba on points on the undercard of Manny Pacquiao latest victory in Dallas last month.

Casey said: 'I’m delighted and very grateful that after such a short career I have got all these opportunities.

'As I have shown so far the bigger these occasions get the better I will get.

'Ireland has been waiting a while for their next world champion and I am ready to keep that belt here in Ireland.

Casey added: 'He was a very technical amateur, it will be up to me to stop him doing what he does best which I am confident of doing

Poor B-Hop

Hopkins denied by majority draw
Sunday, 19 December 2010 10:00
Jean Pascal retained his WBC light-heavyweight title on Saturday after a majority draw with 45-year-old American Bernard Hopkins.

Pascal, 26-1-1 (17 KOs), knocked Hopkins down at the end of the first round and again in the third, the first time Hopkins had been down in a fight since 1994.

Hopkins, a former middleweight and light-heavyweight champion, protested to the referee that the knockdowns had been caused by punches to the back of the head.

However, after the second knockdown Hopkins, 51-5-2 (32 KOs), began to take control of the fight, attacking Pascal with left hooks to the body and overhand rights to the head.

Pascal spent the next several rounds on the retreat, throwing wild single punches as Hopkins put together swift combinations.

The Canadian appeared to recover his energy in the latter stages, landing several right hands in an explosive final round.

Hopkins was bitter about the outcome.

‘I dominated the fight,’ he said. ‘I threw a lot of combinations. This was a sure enough robbery. I took him to school.’

Pascal disagreed.

‘I believe I won the fight,’ he said. 'It wasn’t my best fight, but Bernard fights ugly and dirty. He’s a tough guy to box.

‘I’m the champion, I like to win, not draw. If he wants a rematch, he can have one any time.’

Wladimir Klitschko has branded David Haye a ‘liar’ and a ‘loser’ and questioned his claims he will retire this year.

WBA champion Haye last week said he was ‘done’ with Klitschko and his brother Vitali, after talks over a heavyweight unification bout broke down when Wladimir agreed to fight Dereck Chisora on 30 April.

Thirty-year-old Haye has vowed to retire when he turns 31 in October, and had hoped to fight 2 Wladimir on July.

But he says he can no longer do that as a result of the Chisora date, while Klitschko is now in talks to fight Tomasz Adamek in September.

Klitschko, though, insists Haye can side-step his mandatory challenger, Ruslan Chagaev, and then face him in July.

Speaking to ESPN, he said: 'I don’t take David Haye as a super-special fight. I don’t need a half a year to prepare for this fight. I’m always in shape anyway.

'Me fighting Chisora first is good promotion for the fight with David Haye because the guy is also British and very loud. It’s perfect to help promote the big fight.

'He could give Chagaev step-aside money and then I’m going to be there with nobody to fight.

Because of our history before, I would fight him 2 July and we would work on the contract, but I would fight Chisora first and make sure I fight.

‘There have a been a lot of lies from David Haye and (trainer) Adam Booth. We found a date, 2 July, to fight him, but I don’t trust these guys any more.’

Haye claimed last week that if Klitschko did not fight him before his retirement date, the Ukrainian would be forever linked with failing to fight him.

But Klitschko does not believe Haye will end his career this year as he will not want his legacy to be his one-sided win over Audley Harrison.

He said: 'He’s telling everyone, “I’m going to retire by the end of the year and I will have my legacy”. He’s going to have a legacy for the Audley Harrison fight - the most exciting heavyweight fight in history.

'He has no legacy whatsoever. He has this terrible disease and he has to retire? What bulls**t is that? This is total nonsense. He is playing the media. He will not retire because he’s a liar, liar, liar. From the beginning to the end, he’s a loser liar. That’s the truth about this man.

'David Haye is a piece of s**t. He has accomplished nothing in the heavyweight division other than to present himself with his stupid t-shirt and comments.

‘This guy will eventually fight me. He will eventually fight me because everything coming out of his mouth is a lie. But if he does retire, he’ll be a loser with no legacy in the heavyweight division at all.’

Adamek has revealed on his official website that he is expecting to fight Klitschko this year.

He wrote: 'Everything points to an agreement being signed for a fight with Wladimir Klitschko

Who’s ducking who here ??

disappointed it isn’t taking place in the o2 or Thomond Park

Andy Lee and John Duddy will clash on 12 March in Connecticut in a battle of two of the most talented Irish middleweights in recent years.

The bout will take place as the main undercard fight on the Sergio Martinez vs Serhiy Dzinziruk billing.

Lee said: ‘There has never been a better time for the fight. It is a fight were the stakes are high and that neither fighter can afford to lose; a defining moment in our careers.’

Duddy was beaten by Julio César Chávez, Jr. in his most recent outing in June.

hard to know…but they will have to fight if either wants any kind of a legacy, especially Haye as he has fought nobody of any real ability at Heavyweight

I would really fancy Haye to beat the 2 Klitscho’s. Haye has power, speed, youth and while the Klitscho’s have good jab’s, i just don’t see them having the variety to beat a boxer like Haye.

I agree Jimmy.
Good point, well made.

It’s clear who Frank Warren thinks is doing the ducking

Frank Warren has criticised David Haye’s camp for their failure to agree a heavyweight unification bout with Wladimir Klitschko.

WBA champion Haye and manager Adam Booth opened negotiations with the Klitschko camp over a fight between the Londoner and current IBF and WBO champion Klitschko after the Ukrainian pulled out of a fight with Dereck Chisora last month due to a stomach injury.

But those talks broke down, with both sides blaming each other for failing to agree a showdown which Haye is desperate to set up before his planned retirement date of October 13.

The breakdown led to the resurrection of the Klitschko-Chisora fight, which will now take place in Mannheim, Germany, on April 30.

Chisora’s promoter Warren hit out at Haye and his manager today, saying Booth and Haye only had themselves to blame for the collapse of the deal.

“The contract between ourselves and Wladimir had a get-out clause in it that said he could fight someone else if he pulled out,” Warren said.

“It was no secret that they were talking to Haye but thankfully, true to form, Adam Booth and David Haye made it an easy decision for them.

“I read some of the things that have been said from Adam Booth and David Haye about how difficult the Klitschkos were, but I have dealt with them on two occasions and I can honestly say that Adam Booth is without a doubt the most difficult person I’ve ever had to deal with in boxing.

“What is he (Haye) doing fighting Audley Harrison when he could have fought Klitschko?

“You have to be an idiot not to know that they (the Klitschkos) want to make the (Haye) fight.”

Warren maintains that Haye’s loss is his fighter’s gain despite Zimbabwe-born Chisora being a huge underdog for the clash given that he only has 14 professional fights to his name.

What Chisora lacks in experience, he certainly makes up for in confidence. “I can’t wait to get into the ring and smash the living daylights out of Wladimir,” said Chisora, 27.

“He has so many weaknesses. ”I don’t care how many fights I’ve had. I would have taken him on in my first fight.“

Wladimir maintains that a fight with Haye is still possible and could happen as soon as July.

That has led many to suggest that ’Dr Steelhammer’ is using the Chisora fight as a warm-up for a contest with Haye which would end a long-running feud between the pair.

Warren denies that but admits Chisora’s status as a big outsider means a win for the Londoner would be a huge upset.

He said: “For a guy to win a heavyweight title after just 14 fights has to be the biggest upset of all time.

“It would be a bigger upset than (Leon) Spinks beating (Muhammad) Ali because Spinks came in as Olympic champion.

“There are a lot of people out there who think this is a total mis-match but they’re wrong,” he added.

“He is going to give Klitschko a fight.”

British and Commonwealth champion Chisora, who last fought in September, will have a chance to take on WBC champion Vitali Klitschko if he beats his younger sibling this spring.

Chisora wants to unify all four titles to go down as one of the British boxing greats.

“Winning the world title after 14 fights would be amazing,” Chisora said.

“My goal is to unify all the titles. ”That would mean I’d be bigger than Lennox Lewis and Frank Bruno because I’d have won my first title after 14 fights.“

Chisora also has his sights set on a fight with Haye, who he believes would put his retirement back to set up an all-British showdown.

“If he doesn’t retire then I could fight him,” Chisora said.

“He would postpone retirement to fight me. He hasn’t earned much money in the game so yeah, why not?”

yet again Duddy runs away from a fight with Andy Lee

J

ohn Duddy has announced that he is retiring from boxing after turning down a reported purse ‘in excess of $100,000’ to fight compatriot Andy Lee in March.

The battle of the Irish middleweights was scheduled to take place in Connecticut on the undercard of the Sergio Martinez versus Serhiy Dzinziruk bout on 12 March.

The Derry Destroyer released a statement on Tuesday confirming that he had retired after ‘a great deal of soul-searching’ and stated that his decision is final stating, ‘I give you my word; I will not come back’.

Duddy’s decision, once again, leaves Andy Lee without a fight after the Limerick boxer’s last scheduled bout was cancelled when the Wladimir Klitschko world title fight with Dereck Chisora was postponed.

The statement released by Duddy read: 'After 'a great deal of soul-searching, I have decided to retire from boxing.

'In many ways, continuing to fight would be the easy course of action. I have been offered the opportunity to fight Andy Lee on HBO for a purse in excess of $100,000. A win would put me in position to fight for a world championship. This is not an opportunity that I cast aside lightly.

'For more than twenty years, I loved being a boxer. I still feel that it’s an enormous honor to be a boxer. But I don’t love it anymore.

'I no longer have the enthusiasm and willingness to make the sacrifices that are necessary to honour the craft of prizefighting. I used to love going to the gym. Now it’s a chore. I wish I still had the hunger, but I don’t. The fire has burned out. And I know myself well enough to know that it won’t return.

'It would be unfair to my fans, my trainer and manager, and everyone else involved in the promotion of my fights for me to continue boxing when I know that my heart isn’t in it. I’ve always given one hundred percent in the gym and in my fights. I have too much respect for boxing and the people around me to continue fighting when I know that I can’t do that anymore.

'I haven’t accomplished everything that I wanted to achieve in boxing. But I’ve had a rewarding career. I’ve enjoyed the satisfaction of winning twenty-nine professional fights and learned lessons from my two losses. I’ve experienced the thrill of fighting in Madison Square Garden, Cowboys Stadium, and, also, my beloved Ireland with crowds cheering for me. I look forward to finding future challenges that bring as much passion and joy into my life as boxing has over the past twenty years.

‘I give you my word; I will not come back.’

He did more than run away there Puke, he shat his pants, dug a hole and climbed into it. A boxer will be a brawler any day.