Boxing Thread

He was controlling the fight but in usual Lee fashion he has gone into his shell a bit.

Just needs to stay out of trouble this last round and he has it, comfortably enough.

Vera took some serious shots in the last round but dished out enough, one snakey shot could have planted Lee there when he was dancing around. Did Limerick proud again though.

Vera took some hit in the dying seconds of round 9 , did very well to keep his feet, he looked dangerous to the end despite being well back on the scorecards

You gona watch the main event here? Martinez is 36! Looks a nutcase though. He’s 1/12 on the machine, this will be over in jig time.

Lee did himself and the travelling community proud. Joke the Limerick lads tryin to claim him when they despise his people.
Fully echo kev’s sentiments about the amateur boxers too they are a credit to ireland. Really hope a good bunch of them make the Olympics. The epitome of alright sorts

What lads are these Gola?

Also Lee himself does bot like to be associated with the travellers , he denied he was anyway connected to tyson fury last year .

:rolleyes:

Gola, don’t you know by now that you can’t give travellers even the slightest bit of credit on here. The racists on this board won’t accept it.

What’s the connection between travellers and racism? Travellers are not a race.

Kenny Egan was beaten in his first international appearance as a heavyweight tonight by a Cuban at the World Championships in Azerbaijan. It was stopped with a minute to go in the 3rd of three rounds.
John Joe Nevin won his bantamweight fight handy enough beating an Indian. He’s in the last 16 now.

Joe Ward beaten this morning.

Darren O’Neill and John Joe Joyce both through to the q-finals guaranteeing Olympic qualification for next year :clap:

Will those lads who were knocked out have another shot at qualification?
2 boxers would be a fairly poor representation

I would imagine so.

It’s David Oliver Joyce not John Joe Joyce who qualified. John Joe Nevin has now made it too on a countback. Ward was himself beaten on a countback after getting a 2 point deduction in the second round.

Olympic qualifiers in Istanbul next April are the only other way through. I wonder will Egan go back to light heavyweight and take his chances with Ward now for the National Championships as it seems he was destroyed at the higher weight. Think Ward would beat him again anyway.

There are others still in it Runt, Paddy Barnes at least. There is more than one qualifying tournament Sid. Ward will get in, Egan isn’t up to it at either weight really anymore.

Others still in it alright but I believe there is just the one more qualifying tournament in April next year.

Barnes is out. Istanbul is the only other way in, Kev.

I should clarify that it’s Darren O’Neill and John Joe Nevin only who have made it so far. David Oliver Joyce foghts this evening along with Roy Sheahan, Con Sheehan and Michael Conlon.

I think last 16 losers in the Worlds qualify if the man they loses to wins the tournament. Con Sheehan is fighting the Olympic champion from Italy. Even if he wins I think he has to win another round to qualify for London as the rules are different for super heavyweights.

How far off a bout with the likes of Martinez is Andy Lee? I imagine it’s a few fights away yet?

At the very least 2 more fights away from a crack at a title. Matthew Macklin is due one soon enough think he is 5th in the middleweight ranking while I don’t belive Lee is outside the top ten (although his win might have moved him up a bit)