Boxing Thread

Conlon has qualified, Sheehan and Sheahan both lost.

lou de bella represents all 3 and has said he would be interested in putting on a show around st patricks day at MSG for one of the irish boys against martinez

From RTE (for all that’s worth)

With the exception of the super heavyweight division, the boxers who have been beaten in the last 16 have not lost all hope of direct qualification to the London 2012 Olympics through their Baku exploits as they can also qualify if the boxer who beat them make it to the final of these championships.

Good man Darren. He used to collect glasses when I was working in Langtons 10 odd years ago. A grand fella and a credit to Paulstown and Kilkenny :clap: :clap:

I stand corrected on the qualifying, was there not more than one qualifier in the past? Anyway they’ll all have a very decent shot as obviously a good shot of the top boxers will already be gone through this Championships.

Con Sheehan seems to have been very unlucky. Leading on 4 out of 5 judges’ cards and still lost on the countback.

He’s a primary school teacher in Donaghmede now, the only one of the boxers that has a full time job as far as I know.

Conlan just lost by 1 point to a Brit.

Nevin on now on RTE Real Player

http://www.rte.ie/live/index.html?32390235,'http://dj.rte.ie/vodfeeds/feedgenerator/videos/live/?id=8','flash',255,{'name':'World_Boxing_Championships_gaa'}

Fought really well and was the more aggressive and very unlucky not to go through. It’s looking to see who would score the more points, which the judges look at. It is a bit strange as if you think he was the aggressor, he would have scored more points, if you get what i am saying. It’s a very grey area, which has to be addressed.

I thought this would contain more information about Flano and the Rabbit.

Yours in enjoying a good yarn,
GSH.

From rte.ie

Matthew Macklin is determined to be the man to end Sergio Martinez’s reign as World Middleweight Champion but he is refusing to resort to trash talking in a bid to get the Argentinian in the ring with him.
Macklin has recently relocated to New York and signed a promotional deal with Martinez’s promoter Lou DiBella in a bid to land a showdown with the man widely regarded as being in the top three pound-for-pound fighters in the world.
“I have too much respect for Sergio and what he has achieved over the last few years to bad mouth him,” said Macklin.

"He’s been a breath of fresh air for the sport, he doesn’t duck any challenges and he conducts himself like a champion inside and outside the ring.
“I have no intention of slagging him off but obviously I’m very confident that I would beat him. I think our styles would gel for a sensational fight and I’m confident our promoter Lou DiBella can put it together for Sergio’s next defence.”
Macklin was ringside in Atlantic City earlier this month as part of
a commentary team for Martinez’s most recent defence, an 11th round stoppage win over Darren Barker and he admits that the experience proved a useful scouting mission.
“I’ve watched a lot of Sergio’s fights over the years but it was good to be ringside at the weekend,” said Macklin.
"When you are there in person it gives you a better idea in terms of a fighter’s speed and power. He was carrying a leg injury in to the fight so he probably wasn’t at his best, but he proved he was a champion by grinding out the win and in the end scoring an impressive stoppage over Darren.
"I spotted little things that I’m confident I can take advantage of.
He’s very fast, a sharp puncher and very clever in the way he sets
traps for his opponent but it’s a challenge I would relish and I
think I proved against Felix Sturm that I belong at the very highest level now.
"I know that Sergio would like a mega fight with either Floyd
Mayweather or Manny Pacquiao but I think he represents too much risk and not enough reward for either of those guys.
"He’s stated himself that he’s not big enough to move up to Super middleweight so the most likely scenario is that he will take on the next leading challenger at middleweight.
"My name seems to be cropping up amongst the boxing writers and fans on Twitter and Facebook as the best challenge out there.
"It’s an easy fight to make, we’re both promoted by Lou DiBella and I think it’s a natural fight for Madison Square Garden on St. Patrick’s Day next year.
"I don’t think there would be a spare seat in the Garden, even thinking of the atmosphere at that fight gets me excited about it.
"The Irish community over here is massive but it’s also a very close knit one and I’m determined to give them plenty to shout about.
“I’ve already met so many people here who watched the Sturm fight on Epix and they all saw for themselves who really won that fight so they know just what I’m capable off and they have already got behind me in a big way and I will be looking to repay that support.”

In other news it looks as though David Haye is going to retire

Macklin has a rematch with Sturm doesn’t he?

Anyone showing, online even, Katie Taylor’s final this evening?

Bernard Hopkins has been reninstated light heavyweight champion after the sanctioning board ruled the fight should have been ruled as a no contest after Bernard dislocated his shoulder from a push from Dawson.

B-Hop. :clap:

Katie Taylor - 5 time European champion

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Anyone see the Ricky Burns fight tonight? He was meant to have been very impressive.

:lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML1fd8UBnXE

That is fucking GOLD!!

I think that’s the best sports interview I’ve ever heard in my life. Brilliant stuff. “Ricky Hatton is a fucking bum, you only took that fight so white people would watch” :lol: "Stay duckin’’ :lol: :lol:

That’s magnificent. :lol: