BREXIT thread

Like it if I survive this thread I’ll welcome it,fuck me you’d need s thick skin here,love it( say I’ll be shagged out- lots of P M.s going on i was told)

1 Like

It’s getting it is the problem

Christ above.

Getting fucking warm in here

The commonwealth lads. It’s the only option left .

1 Like

I perceive, rightly or wrongly, “Ireland” as meaning the whole rightful island, including all of ulster. I differentiate in conversation by using, southern ireland, or the Republic (both terms seem clunky), and the North (which makes people over here look at me oddly as they think I’m talking about Wigan.)
But then, if I hear the term “football” I immediately think of gaelic. I use the phrase “football” or “gaelic” for this in conversation, as opposed to soccer. Which also means I end up getting looked at oddly.

1 Like

its ok for the likes of France and Germany to do their own bi lateral deals and treaties, but Paddy Potato isn’t allowed to look after his own interests

There’s no point explaining it, his OCD is particularly bad today. If you think explaining Ireland to the English is bad, you should try it over here.

You say southern ireland? Ah here Flatty. :disappointed_relieved:

Northern Ireland is Northern Ireland, that’s not hard. The country is called Ireland. That’s also not hard. It’s not hard in conversation to clarify your meaning, people might start to get it right then.

Correcting people on semantics who are interested in your opinion is poor manners by and large.

2 Likes

It’s possible to do so nicely you know, it is informative. I don’t think affirming then in their ignorance is the way to go. If they weren’t so happy and comfortable in their own ignorance they probably wouldn’t be in the mess they are in now.

Spudmunchers like glas always let the side down with their misplaced nationalist rhetoric

5 Likes

It’s not really. You look like a pedant if you do.

3 Likes

I correct them politely where their concepts are incorrect. ROI a widely used term, as is the North, as is the Republic, as is the south. They are common parlance and I have no issue with them.

This is more tedious than Brexit

1 Like

There is that

You aren’t from the state of Ireland/Republic of Ireland/Eire/whatever, mate, you’re United Kingdomish.

Now that’s fighting talk

I’d always say I’m from the south or the republic if I’m asked. I don’t want to be associated with that shithole in the north

Fair enough if you don’t. They wouldn’t be long correcting you for calling Wales west England or calling England Ingerland.

Similar to Ukraine and the incorrect “the Ukraine”. Names are important and getting them correct demonstrates respect, not caring or bothering to get them correct demonstrates the opposite. Something as basic as knowing the name of the country next door is not a high standard to expect. In learning something that basic it often prompts curiosity to know what else one doesn’t know and helps conversation along. Again, if so many English people weren’t so ignorant of such simple and basic facts and concepts, they wouldn’t be where they are now.