BREXIT thread

Brexit is self-pitying US white identity politics transplanted to Britain.

British society, culture and media is increasingly being divided along the sort of lines you see in the US.

They’ve certainly upped the militaristic element of this to mirror the yanks over the last few years.

Yeah but the urban v rural thing is very apparent.

London, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow and the vast majority of urban areas are solid Remain and Labour.

Then you have places like Sunderland, Stoke, Hull and Mansfield, which are the equivalents of the US post-industrial mid-west, natural Labour strongholds but where white identity politics is on the rise, and are increasingly ripe for picking off by right-wing snake oil salesmen.

In future general elections, it’s not that difficult to imagine these places voting Tory while London goes entirely Labour.

Brexit could cause a fundamental realignment where the Tories become an almost exclusively crazy right-wing, anti-Europe white English party like the US Republicans, while Labour are likely to become an almost exclusively pro-Europe party.

1 Like

Not really. The silent majority are like anyone else, not overly troubled by nationalism or class, just trying to graft away and look after the family and pay the bills. The problems are the baby boomers and scrotes. The former are a generation of vicious entitled pricks, smug in the houses they could never dream of affording now, having wallowed in mediocrity all their lives. They have their triple locked pensions, and time on their hands to promote their golf club bigotry, they read the mail, populate the coffee shops and airport lounges, and are grim ,narrow minded people who’s barely adequate intelligence has somehow imbued them with a self preening superiority complex. They have the time and the security to phone in radii shows, apply to go on question time, and the “luxury” of knowing theyll be even deader by the time the consequences of their behaviour are brought to bear. This is the generation which generated the backlash that the govt caved into as they also vote entirely out of self interest, insisting that there was no way they were selling anything to actually pay for their own care as they aged.
The scrotes are generally loudmouthed fools who think that an argument is won by shouting louder than everyone else, and that parroting headlines from the tabloids makes them sound clever.
The bbc have zero courage and zero integrity, and the " journalism " is now at a level that the deputy editor of The Express admitted that brexit is a bad idea,but said he is only printing what his readers want to read. Chicken and egg being a concept to far for him.
The average person is so busy working that the screaming extremes dictate the debate and the direction of the country.
I have never encountered a class system here, theres more of a one in ireland, based around wealth rather than birth. Most folk i meet are interested only in whether you have anything of interest to say.
Ireland always was, and is, a far nicer place, as people are individually kinder, and more fun. Ive never understood why anyone would envy england, or have any respect for it. For the most part, its a bit of a dump

Ps my phone predictive spelling on here has become extremely odd, so apologies for spelling and grammar. I can’t be bothered to correct it all.

22 Likes

That’s a belter of a post

That’s an unwarranted generalized assault on baby boomers.

Not with Corbs knocking about.

If it wasn’t so ingrained in them to be Tories or Labour from birth I’d imagine a centerist party would have started by now cutting off the far left of Labour and the far right of the tories and taking in the rest.

Ever hear of the lib dems

I have mate

Is that the view from Didsbury?

Your take on class is very bizarre … every social commentator within Britain maintains it is ingrained in every facet of English life… The structures of it might have changed but the mindset remains. Traditionally , the different social classes were educated for different functions in Britain- and tho there has been changes to education in more recent times, this outcome still largely materializes… why?

Maybe you’re lost in the mire within — but this is more cultural/social than political — The boomers as you call them are exactly the fuckwits tied to the old narratives of imperial Britain – maybe it’s the dying sting but it has brought a lot of social/cultural/racial issues that Britain has to the fore — I guess you’ve agreed with me in a way… The silent ‘majority’ in standing by and letting it happen are just a culpable. @Sidney raises a valid point in regard large urban spaces v smaller isolated/rural ones — The long time multi-cultural areas have largely settled questions of identity are are more accepting of difference. The Burnleys, Hulls, Sunderlands - their Jerusalem should not look brown.

1 Like

I see the British media trying a different angle here. Hanging around Brussels interviewing any MEP they can find who may give them a bit of leeway

Corbyn’s central theme since the referendum has been that the result was to be respected at all costs. It’s not a point of view I especially agree on, given that the fantasy ideas that led to the result were undeliverable, but at the same time, the “respect the result” theme is a legitimate point of view.

Presuming Britain do actually leave the European Union, in whatever form - as soon as it does, Breturn is likely to become a major issue.

Corbyn won’t be there forever, and he was elected by people who are overwhelmingly pro-Remain. The next leader will have to retain Corbyn’s genuine Labour platform while also being pro-Europe.

The Lib Dems are unlikely to gain any sort of critical mass, and therefore Labour, with a re-energised front bench, is likely to become the only real option for those who want to rejoin the EU. It’s possible that could even happen with Corbyn as PM.

The Europeans won’t take them back in a million years. Breturn is more delusional thinking.

1 Like

Events, dear boy, events.

Ten or even five years ago it was considered delusional thinking that Britain would ever vote to leave the European Union.

But now they have. Can’t be having someone in the EU who might leave again on a whim in another 5 years and start this shit show all over. Let em off ta fuck. They’ll end up begging for a Norwegian deal which will have them in a worse position than before and the EU in a better one

It could happen down the road, would need an overwhelming majority in a referendum I’d say.

More “could”, “might”, “possible” shit that im fed up reading for 2 years. Give me one concrete thing that will 100% make a negative impact on me the day after brexit.

It could happen that you possibly might be a more ignorant fucker than you are right now.

“Could” ?