BREXIT thread

They are MPs who count the votes I think.

SF’s manifesto said that sitting in Westminister would he a “waste of time” and that Brussels, Belfast and Dublin would be far better to advance the interests of Ireland. Their manifesto says that NI should get special designation by the EU.

The current situation is that the U.K. are falling out of the EU without a deal. A vote was lost yesterday by 2 that would have allowed Parliament to take control of the process.

SF, the party of slow learners, have thrown many of their most cherished “absolutes” away.

2 Likes

It affects Ireland for sure - but it is ultimately Britain’s problem… If your beloved FFG were all Ireland parties instead of being partitionists all these years, they could be over doing your bidding now.

OK, but let’s say SF did show up. How many votes would be switched just due to their mere presence?
It’s all well and good to paint them in simplistic balance tipping terms but it’s far more complex than that.

6 Likes

If he’s painting them in simplistic terms, wouldn’t it ergo be more complex anyway?

You are pre supposing something. It’s desperate deflection.

It is either right or wrong that SF don’t take their seats.

It was the policy of Arthur Griffith, a man that wanted a dual monarchy. SF gradually morphed that into a Republican thing.

However, SF have thrown away some amount of their most cherished policies over time and there is absolutely no reason why this shouldn’t go.

SF’s new justification for the policy is that it’s a waste of time. That is quite clearly wrong in the present circumstances.

I’m not defending SF and I’ve never voted for SF. But your supposition that SF turning up will go unnoticed and have zero effect on the vote they turn up for is basic at best.

1 Like

You’re trying to hold the mindset of Arthur Griffith up? - He was of the 19th century ffs.

SF are a republican party - you can brush all else aside, but if they are true to that they wont be entering a foreign parliament that recognizes a monarch.

I dont agree with everything SF do or say, but they have always rightly held firm on the idea that they are Irish, not English, and as such have no place in an English parliament.

The fact you even have to explain this is a very sad day for the forum … Scores of Tan MPs would be climbing over themselves to oppose anything SF would do.

You could suppose anything though.

Let’s look at the facts. The U.K. Parliament is very divided. Every single vote matters at this time.

SF in Parliament could lead to people switching votes. It could also lead to a change in policy as the arithmetic changes in the Commons. What has given the DUP power and continues to do so is that arithmetic. There are so many things that could happen, so what?

NI are currently represented by the DUP in Parliament who are going against the wishes of the majority of NI.

SF’s actual reasons for not entering now, as per their election literature, are quite clearly wrong and out of date.

you’re cherry picking comments to suit. SF have always had one policy re Westminster - any other comments are additional to that.

If anything, SF are doing way more good for the party staying out of the current mess as the DUP are being very badly shown up…

But at the end of the day, what the fuck do you care about Britain? - yes Brexit will have an affect here, but we are steering our own path - we have nothing to do with Britain and we are big an bold enough to look after ourselves without crawling on our stomachs to the tans.

You’ve a very bizarre mindset that you badly want Brexit sorted out for the good of — England?

No I am pointing out where the policy came from.

SF, the slow learners party, took on board a number of positions that the original leadership of SF came up with in the first 15 years of the party. They refused to budge on many of those things for decades and this caused numerous splits.

SF in the last 30 years though have thrown away many of those policies. For pragmatic reasons.

The ONLY reason that SF did not jettison this one was that NI has been largely irrelevant in Westminister for decades. No bearing on policy and no bearing on votes. That is the reason that’s SF gave in their election literature. It is one of the easy Republican policies that they didn’t need to move on, one of those ones where they could pretend they were still the holders of the flame of True Republicanism.

Here is their policy. The reasons for the policy are stated in the election literature. They are out of date and quite clearly wrong in the present circumstance.

The number one policy after the intro is;

However, the leader says this;

And the old leader says this

They could hide behind this BS in May 2017, not anymore. It is wrong.

SF always had that policy because the original leader wanted two Parliaments and a Dual Monarchy.

They then adapted this policy for Republicansim and rejected the Govt of Ireland Act Parliaments as not true to a republic.

Along the way, the majority of nationalists jettisoned these policies. SF did latterly. They have kept this one as it is the childish and easy one for them to take.

love how the two british tory sympathisers on here see brexit as a chance to attack SF

1 Like

Crying because SF wont enter a foreign parliament to fix England’s problems … it’s the most bizarre thing I’ve ever read… Reading their comments it’s as if they regard Westminster as their national parliament… I wonder where the fuck these lads are posting from at all.

Fuck Britain. Fuck Brexit … I hope it’s the hardest possible Brexit on the 29th of March and the whole place goes into complete meltdown.

2 Likes

neoliberals blaming people who have never been in power for what neoliberalism has done to the world

6 Likes

That recipe for French onion soup you sent me was superb, mate.

Went down a treat.

1 Like

Arthur Griffiths caused Brexit apparently.

1 Like

Always someone else’s fault.

I’m pretty sure I’ve been criticising all Parties on here.

Sounds like the infantile SF voters here don’t like cold hard facts.