BREXIT thread

They would have lost political capital, but with an intense and lasting effort you could see that being rebuilt quite quickly. I could see them actually increasing their influence from what it was before. Meantime they would still have a large proportion of votes to wield.

They have fuck all on their own outside of the EU, they will be rode rotten in any negotiations.

Look how their two years negotiating with the EU has gone for them. And that’s with the EU genuinely not wanted to see them completely fucked. Imagine how they would get on trying to negotiate a trade deal with the US, or China?

2 Likes

Wasn’t it Corbyn who brought the first motion against her in parliament?
This is internal conservative party shite. Can’t/ won’t be brought up in parliament but a different issue nonetheless

No corbyn Brought a vote of no confidence in the govt. He needs cross party support for it, and the tories won’t as they know there’s a chance they’d lose their individual seats. The heave against her by the erg was against may only as party leader and party rules only allow one go a year at that.
There is rumblings they might try and change the rules.

Good piece in the New York Times this morning about how bizarre it is that the U.K. Brexiteers shifted to favoring No Deal.

Gisela Stuart interviewed and comes across badly. After leading the Leave campaign she “now cannot bear” to listen to the news and just listens to classical music i.e. she knows what a bill of goods she sold and just wants it to go away.

1 Like

May means May.

It would be undemocratic to get rid of her as Tory leader, ever, at least if you’re to adopt the logic of the hard Brexiteers, and indeed May herself.

Eyes perfectly dry pal. I voted remain and still would prefer to remain but if we’re leaving I don’t mind May’s deal. I think it would be good for the North. I can even see the bright side of a no deal exit as I have an acquaintance who would benefit enormously from that.

I see it’s now half of over 5m Romanians now

Not available in NI.

2 Likes

Looks like the long wait for a first Cambridge Prime Minister since Stanley Baldwin in 1937 is going to go on a bit longer. There’s not many groups who have suffered the level of discrimination in British life than Cambridge graduates.

1 Like

Tomorrow’s front page of the Telegraph. What an absolute twit Johnson is. I’ve read and heard people say stuff like ‘he’s actually very clever y’know, the bumbling is all an act’.
I’m not seeing it.

3 Likes

They’re reaping what the Cambridge 5 sowed.

1 Like

He really is dim. We expect people in positions of power to be smart and they get the benefit of the doubt for it, but brexit is giving the game away for a lot of them.

:grin::grin:

Are you 8?

1 Like

Who are these smart people in “positions of power” mate? Smart people don’t enter politics, they influence politicians.

1 Like

That seems like a poorly thought out generalisation which could have come from somebody in the pub after six pints, but doesn’t hold up to any actual scrutiny.

It does Sid, think about it. Make a list of the smartest and most successful people in the UK say, and see how many are in politics. I can do the same for the US if you like and we can compare. Politicians are mostly dumb as a rock mate, talking monkeys.

1 Like

You said that smart people don’t go into politics. That’s demonstrably untrue.

You are effectively saying that smart people cannot feel a duty of public service.

That’s nonsense.

Smart people, with very few exceptions, go into academia or industry. The days when smart people go into public service are long gone (sadly I will admit, which is one of the reasons politics is so dysfunctional). Do you think Theresa May is smart? How about Jeremy Corbyn with his two E grade A levels? These people are not smart mate, they are chancers who wouldn’t last a week in a real job.

2 Likes