Camping, the Outdoors and So On

TWNH

2 Likes

Explain please?

Oh this is a joke. Haha.

1 Like

If you play this right, you could be put up by a few of us on the west coast. @croppy_boy in Donegal, @anon67715551 in Leitrim, @Liqourice_Pipes in Mayo, @maroonandwhite in Gort, @Raylan in Ennis, @any of 20 wankers in Limerick, @gilgamboa in Cark.

I’ve it all sorted for you.

2 Likes

@backinatracksuit any tips here.

You’d have to ask my missus, she does all the booking, we have two places booked for this summer but I know that when she went about it there was a lot of places booked out, especially for weekends etc, we’re a bit hamstring because the 8 man tent is huge so a lot of places wouldn’t take us.

So I don’t know which places to recommend in that respect. I’d say if it was Monday to Thursday you’d have your pick.
Some of my favourites are, Eagle point in Ballylickey (West Cork), the one in Caherciveen and the one in Derrynane, they’re all top class, if you can go to the North you’ll get superb facilities but that’s a lot of travel.
My kids absolutely love the one in Fossa in Killarney, we’ve always had a great time there, and just use it as a base for Kerry.
Useless information I know, make a few calls.

We’re staying in Blarney and Tralee this summer so far, good bases to explore Cork and Kerry, and both highly rated

1 Like

No, that’s good info.
We are actually looking at the Wednesday and Thursday night, so we might sneak in somewhere, but everywhere we have tried so far has been booked out.

We have Westport booked for later in August.

He won’t get that far North (oops)

Well if you ever plan a long getaway look into Northern Ireland, they have some fabulous beachfront sites in Down and Antrim that we saw, fabulous facilities and obviously a chance to explore a less familiar area, climb some new mountains or whatever you’re having yourself

1 Like

Thinly veiled, the dogging is great.

1 Like

So I started this from Mizen Head at 10am yesterday morning.

First day was an awful cunt, cycling over a horrible thing called the Cara Pass between Bantry and Kenmare in near 30 degrees heat. It was so hot that the road was melting and my bike was sticking to it. The freewheel down into Kenmare was fun though.

Camped last night beside a lake called Lough Scuthán, mirror lake, on the edge of Killarney National Park. This is what I woke up to this morning.

Had a nice swim in there this morning and also experimented with my first underwater shit.

Night 2 and I’ve wussed out and gotten a bnb in Co Clare, the first one you see right off the ferry from Tarbert. 190 tough kilometres in 2 days, not bad going I think.

For all the pain, I was sad to leave Cork and Kerry behind. We’re immensely privileged to be born in this county and we have to take care of it. Smashing yourself against those hills would probably change you as a person in time. I have one complaint against this country though - it needs more trees.

The aim for tomorrow night is to reach Kinvara. If I don’t make it I think I’ll already have achieved a lot now. If I had more time off work and just did 50km a day it would be easy.

Google maps is telling me the road to Ennis via Knock is very steep but it can’t be trusted. Any advice on the best way to travel to Ennis?

12 Likes

Car.

That’s a pure boring road. Would you not stay out by the coast and head towards Lahinch

Too long that way

Much more enjoyable spin though, and more level in general, until you get up towards the Burren

That’s an awful road up and down the whole way and not in good nick tar wise the last time I travelled it although its been a while.

Best of luck anyway. It’s an interesting idea. Would you cycle much normally or is this a moment of madness?

A week of madness. Woke up this morning with a bit of lingering heat stroke so I’ll have tondona paracetamol now and we’ll see how this goes.

Thanks, taking that all on board

1 Like

I’d stick to the coast too, it will be marginally cooler and they are really shit roads to be heading back in land on.

1 Like

Well @tank , did you get to Kinvara?

1 Like

Sorry to have missed this, i cycled that road via knock near every day for 2 summer’s down to work at the ferry as a gassun. No bother to a man that cycled the cara pass.

1 Like

Waiting on the update here @Tank
Fair play to ya boy, that’s some project to set for yourself, the heat must be a bit of a dose, stay close to the coast at all times is the only ‘advice’ I’d have for you

Some man :clap::clap:

1 Like