Cars

You donā€™t want the wife flying around anyway.

3 Likes

Iā€™d look at the repair, mate.

The DPF filter probably eroded from lack of fluid replenishment ( dealers fuck up here ).
You will probably be better off with a reconditioned unit tbh, Iā€™d imagine new unit will be big money.

Clutchā€™s go

1 Like

@carryharry

I am on the look out for a saloon family type car. Budget around ā‚¬20K. Those search parameters seems to be throwing up plenty of options for 162/171 VW Passat and Skoda Superb/Octavia options with mileage anywhere from 100K KM -150K KM. I am looking for something with plenty of space and that is fairly reliable. The horse power with the Skodas looks surprisingly low on either of the 1.6 Litre diesel models and higher with the Passat. I have an uncle who is a retired mechanic with a few years but he maintains there can be some engine reliability issues with the Passat. Have you ever come across issues with the Passats? Any other recommendations other than those mentioned above?

fuck Passats.

Go japanese, bullet proof, may not fit budget

3 Likes

BG Motors in Killarney have a 181 SkodƤ Superb with 89k on the clock for a ā‚¬10 under ā‚¬20k.
Itā€™s white before you get overly excited but looks clean.

1 Like

Thereā€™s some room in the superb you could get a couple of cattle in on the back seat.

2 Likes

On top of that, with proper care and attention theyā€™re practically bomb-proof. Theyā€™ve come a long way since Boycie told Rodney he had a lovely SkodƤ out the back when Dave was buying the Rollerā€¦

1 Like

Calling @KinvarasPassion

Superb would be a good buy.

Iā€™m a fan of the Skodas and theyā€™ve gone well for me but they both had main dealer services from Day one.

Second hand cars are making mental money.

Are you looking to borrow the ā‚¬20k budget of pay from your pocket?

You could be surprised at the value in looking at new or demo compared to something second hand

Iā€™d be in a similar situation; trading in car worth maybe ā‚¬2k at this stage, deposit of ā‚¬5k, and then borrow the remainder. Would be looking for a Passat or Superb estate, though the Octavia estate might be a cheaper option and is massive also. It would mainly be for herself, and sheā€™s wanting an SUV but I want the bootspace of an estate and think SUVs are poor value for money too.

2 Likes

There doesnā€™t seem to be a huge stock of Superbs around. Thought RyanPower Motors in Clonmel would have a few options but a very limited stock of used cars and almost solely limited to Fabias, Rapid and Jettas. I might have a look in Laharts in Kilkenny and Pierse Motors in Tipp Town before going further afield. There is a Michael Moore in Portarlington as well.

I am using ā‚¬10K of my own money and ā‚¬10K of a loan. Prices are absolutely mental at the moment.

1 Like

I had an 08 Skoda a few years back and the engine blew out on the motorway. Wasnā€™t mental milage on it sub 200k. I think the exact diagnosis was the ā€œcon rodā€ blew a hole in the engine wall

The fella who came to tow it away and the mechanic both told me this was not unusual for 2l diesel cars of that vintage

20k would have you very close to a new car. A Kona is ā‚¬25k I think with a 5 year warranty

The 2.0/2.5l VW diesel from 04-08 was not their finest moment. Did you get a new engine put in it?

His initial query indicated ā€œfamily saloon and plenty of spaceā€ and youā€™re here suggesting a Hyundai Kona. A set of golf clubs and thereā€™s the boot-space gone. Sometimes I despair about youā€¦ā€¦.

5 Likes

Nearly 40K for the nice one or the electric one

No, looked for an engine for a few weeks to no avail and a fella bought it off me for 2k and I was happy enough to let him take his chances finding an engine for it

Itā€™s amazing how lads just totally ignore the original post and go o off on their own solo runs.And then to suggest a KONA,one of the worst looking cars on the road today.

2 Likes

Iā€™d rather be seen in the back of a hearse, as the fella says.

4 Likes

New Diesel Estate car with a decent spec will be over ā‚¬40k Iā€™d imagine