Cars

He’d be stitched up like a kipper.

2 Likes

Because they’ll try and low ball me when they know I want the upgrade. I know there’s a shortage of second hand cars at the minute so might be better off treating each tranaction separately.

There’s that and waiting in for the tyre kickers to come around and waste your time. And the hassle around getting paid.

2 Likes

I don’t even have the street lingo right.

1 Like

If it’s a decent trade in you’ll be getting top money as a part exchange. Used stock in huge demand.

Send me a PM with trade in info & what you’re looking to upgrade to & I’ll give you my opinion better :+1:

3 Likes

As Fagan says it’s hard to sell a motor privately these days unless you have a fairly nichë model. The car sites are creaking with shite and the disparity between two same aged, same spec could be €2k.
You’re gonna get ridden if you try to offload yourself or inveigle a dealer to look at it. Throw back your shoulders, trade it in for what you’re looking at and suffer the fiscal pain. It’ll be the best option in the long run, having to endure tyre-kickers and shady dudes (think @carryharry here) and all that goes with it just ain’t worth it.

5 Likes

And the hassle around getting paid.
[/quote]

I was selling an ancient motor there a few years ago and took €250 deposit with €5k to be paid upon collection. They were a shady looking pair with a prospective son-in-law as the mechanical “expert”. I might as well have been reading the Book of Kells there was that much writing and maps on him.

Poppa anyway peels out a roll of €50’s. I need 100 of them, preferably real ones so I began and continued the count carefully.
96, 97,98, 99 and as I could see the last one I bundled all together and declared the winner all right. You didn’t count the last one says Warhol….

No but I saw it says I. If there were one or two under it I’d have to give them back to you. The penny finally dropped……

7 Likes

Any idea what I should expect to pay for a full service, which I think will involve new brake pads?
From the dealer the car was bought from second hand?

3 Likes

Jayses Mike I dunno. I would sell a car privately these days unless they took out an envelope of cash. That or I wouldn’t be handing over the car until the cheque/bankdraft cleared. Plus I guarantee even though you’re selling “as is” if they get so much as a puncture within the first 2/3 months, youll be plagued

1 Like

@mikehunt would have the missus sent to the front door to deal with them when they came back complaining

1 Like

And don’t forget the invaluable advice the guards gave recently: don’t accept a picture of a bank draft as payment.

2 Likes

Thanks. I wouldn’t have a clue really. NCT next week.

1 Like

That’s about right-

For future reference
Advice only to save bobs

Don’t leave servicing this late
Buy a vac pump and change oil / fluids yourself

I got a sealey vacuum pump many years ago and have saved a fortune in servicing
Source my own oils ( hybrid)
Filters etc
Believe me I haven’t much of a clue ref motors but economics me learn
And it’s all basic shite

I believe ‘handjob’ means manual transmission so make sure you ask for that.

8 Likes

Nah, I said in my original post i wasn’t going down that route. More wondering if I should sell to a dealer for cash as opposed to trading in. Two separate transactions with two different dealers.

Still not sure you’ll do any better.

Trade in I’d go for. The low offer is worth the ballache offset